Graffiti in the Dequindre Cut

wolverine

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm split right now. It all hinges on my apartment in Ann Arbor if I can sublet it or not. If I take the job in Chicago for good, I will of course, have to sign another lease. I really don't want to be paying rent on two apartments. Collectively on both apts, I would be paying $1600 a month at the very least, which would make it difficult to save up money. If I move back to Saginaw, I can at least get an apartment much cheaper, and it won't be as painful on my finances. To top it off, I'm no longer going into architecture, but urban planning, so really both jobs in each city are placeholders while I settle into urban planning and eventually get a job in that field. It's unbelievably complex.

But yeah, I got a taste of my job in Chicago for about a week and a half not long ago, I've been going out there every weekend ever since, (last weekend was for fun though)

Michigan taxes are really going to bite my ass for working out of state.

From my window at Lafayette Towers I have a really cool view of the East wall. I actually enjoy having the graffiti outside my window. I will be sad when the trees fill in again. With that said, I would rather see a park linking me to the riverwalk instead of the graffiti art.

That's the MOCAD with the large grafitti text on it. It's part of their building appearance:

http://www.mocadetroit.org/

As far as the legality of it, some cities permit grafitti in certain areas. If you've ever seen Venice Beach, CA there's a very large wall for people to display their public art. It gets sandblasted once and awhile so people can put something else up without having their work peel away from heavily layered paint. I've partaken in spraypainting the rock on Washtenaw Ave here in Ann Arbor as well as the electrical boxes and sidewalk within 15 feet of it. :whistling: Actually, that whole triangular block is fair game. I believe the city only powerwashes the site a few times a year, so good luck getting the paint to stick.

As far as Detroit, no clue. It's definitely not legal to paint down there, but the city has other things to worry about. With the Dequindre cut, it's kind of an out of site, out of mind deal. Really, no one is supposed to even walk down there. It's fenced off, but not really well. We entered near the Jefferson street bridge where there is no fencing what so ever. The failure of whatever body controls that strip of land to put up signs or actually fence the site off will give people justification for being down there. It's just like the Globe Trading Co, no signs, no fencing, wide open doors. BTW, I have some new photos of the Globe that I can post here.

EDIT: Jason, I know people who are capable of producing stuff like that. Some are involved in graphic design or work for large advertising firms.

I should also mention they are against any defacement of privately owned buildings or surfaces that are within the everday public eye.

• 1 month later...

An article in todays Detroit Free Press tells about how the Dequindre Cut will become a greenway. nofunk made the newspaper...

"Wrote nofunk, a contributor of UrbanPlanet.org, one of several spots on the Internet that feature Dequindre Cut artwork: "That grafitti is freaking AMAZING."

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article...50366/1001/NEWS

An article in todays Detroit Free Press tells about how the Dequindre Cut will become a greenway. nofunk made the newspaper...

"Wrote nofunk, a contributor of UrbanPlanet.org, one of several spots on the Internet that feature Dequindre Cut artwork: "That grafitti is freaking AMAZING."

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article...50366/1001/NEWS

Archived