Graffiti in the Dequindre Cut

wolverine

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the graffiti needs to stay, but I think that it needs to be portrayed better. When there's some landscaping and stuff done, it will be better. At the front and end of the cut there should be a sign explaining the graffiti. It should be portrayed and embraced as some kind of open air dynamic underground art gallery.

I agree that the graffiti should stay. If done properly it can be a very cool and unique urban experience. I do think they need some sort of signage where it is present, and they need to eliminate all the offensive stuff, if there is any. Im curious though will they allow the area to continue to evolve as a graffiti spot or once the cut is finished so is that canvas?

You both bring up some good points. Treating it like art gallery could provide Detroit with an interesting cultural attraction and eliminate the negative images people would have seeing graffiti in Detroit. I'd hope they would allow the "exhibits" to change maybe even partnering with MOCAD to make it an even more legitimate art project

• 8 months later...

Updates on the Dequindre Cut

Pictures: Friday December 28, 2007 {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} Posted: Friday January 04, 2008

Dequindre Cut - (rails-to-trails): talk about a total raping of the landscape! It's great to see progress and though I was aware of some bridges coming down I didn't think it was that many.

2007_1228Detroit12_28_070058.jpg

Looking south toward Jefferson Avenue.

2007_1228Detroit12_28_070059.jpg

North toward Gratiot Avenue.

2007_1228Detroit12_28_070060.jpg

2007_1228Detroit12_28_070062.jpg

2007_1228Detroit12_28_070063.jpg

2007_1228Detroit12_28_070064.jpg

You can see the Lafayette Avenue access ramp on the left.

2007_1228Detroit12_28_070065.jpg

Some of the old graffiti art is exposed on the old bridge foundations. This one will surely be cleared. The Riverfront Conservancy (overseeing the project) is encouraging graffiti and other art once the Cut is finished, but as long as it is censored.

2007_1228Detroit12_28_070066.jpg

2007_1228Detroit12_28_070068.jpg

Approaching Eastern Market

2007_1228Detroit12_28_070073.jpg

2007_1228Detroit12_28_070074.jpg

Looking south through Lafayette Park toward the riverfront.

2007_1228Detroit12_28_070075.jpg

Well, from my understanding most of the bridges that were demolished were because they were in such bad shape. They were also side streets that didn't carry a lot of traffic over them. I'm pretty sure one of them was even closed to traffic because it was so deteriorated...only the sidewalk was kept open for pedestrians.

One reason I think a few won't be rebuilt is because the access ramps may take up too much space (like at Lafayette Ave for instance). I don't know for sure though...just speculating. In a sense, not rebuilding the bridges is just creating more super blocks. It's more tolerated in this instance I think, but it would still be nice to keep residential street grids in order to maintain the quality of the neighborhood as well as provide for more economic development opportunities in the future. Also, of course it's a pain in the arse to have to travel all the way down to the far-next nearest bridge only to have to back track to the street whose bridge over the cut was demolished.

The post-industrial, gritty nature of the dequindre cut was what made it so special. I liked those bridges, but I know they had to go for structural reasons, but at least they could be replaced to connect the neighborhoods better. Minneapolis ripped a lot out and I found it to be rather unimpressive. Sloping grass hills and a paved bike trail bored the hell out of me. People want to see artifacts that tell more about the city. Concrete viaducts, close proximity of older buildings, and well done graffiti impress me.

It still looks like a fair amount of substance remains that will make this an interesting development. I really hope that we can see some development grow up along this.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Greetings from Lil Rhody.

This part's off-topic, but I figure this topic is the best place to ask this question. I'm doing some research about creative culture in Detroit and was wondering: what are the neighborhoods or spots where the artists and designers hang out? What about the BMX/skate spots? Underground music scene? I think you see what I'm getting at - below the radar.

Any direction you could give would be a real help. Go ahead and be specific. I love Google Maps Street View.

On topic: What do you think the odds are of actually keeping the graffiti?

Where I live, there's a great mural by Wizart on a building that used to be a hip hop mall. Luckily, the building got bought by some guys that turned it into shared space for creatives called the Grant. First question I asked was about the graffiti, and it stayed. Somebody opened a skate/bike shop in the basement and now it's the backdrop for a million bike tricks.

Here's some work in Pawtucket, RI on my Picasa page. The first four are the big mural. The next one's are in the alley behind the same building. The big SEAZ and the Red Sox themed piece is all gone. They're building a there right now.

Read about our gritty little town in The Bucket Blog.

Cheer.

Fry, There are great underground art and music scenes in the city of detroit. I myself am an artist in the area. Wayne State University has a great art program and also Detroit is the home to the College for Creative Studies or CCS which is one of the top art and design colleges in the midwest. Both of these schools are located in Midtown. There are galleries all over the Detroit area. Check out www.thedetroiter.com its sort of the Detroit area guide to art openings and exhibits. There are easily several openings in the city to goto every fri & sat of the year. Also the Russell Industrial Center, a former factory, now serves as a huge concentration of artists as galleries. artists lofts and studios. http://www.modeldmedia.com/features/russell53.aspx Galleries such as the Detroit Artists Market, The Scarab Club, 555, 4731 gallery, Museum of Contemporary Art Detroit, Contemporary Art Institute of Detroit and many more all provide places for artists to gather and show. As far as music goes there are no shortage of dive bars and venues to play shows at in Detroit, Hamtramck (a small city within Detroit) and Ann Arbor (home to University of Michigan and about 25 minutes outside of Detroit) I hope this helps a little bit. There is definitely a great scene going on underground and it seems to be continually growing. Let me know if you have any other questions.

I think all the graffiti in the Dequindre Cut should be cleaned out. All graffiti is ugly.

About the Dequindre Cut Greenspace project, the first phase extends from Woodbridge Street to Gratiot Avenue. I don't know about the rest of this abandoned rail line or where the line or project ends at. Should I put all discussion of this project in this thread?

Well, graffiti art is art, and when done in the right way, can be respected and celebrated. I think of all places in and around downtown Detroit, this would be the most appropriate place to display such art. There obviously will be strict regulation of it, even moreso that other art, simply because of the changing nature of it and the ease of exposing profanity...which the Riverfrong Conservancy (overseeing the maintenance) will actively control. I think San Antonio has a successful graffiti art festival that celebrates how griffiti is art and not damage to property.

I agree, graffiti can be quite artful in the correct context. In Ann Arbor, we have intentional graffiti under the rail bridge over Main street north of downtown. Also there's a whole alley covered from top to bottom near the Michigan Theater that's really cool. I especially love political graffiti - it's akin to the philosophical and poetic stuff you find on bathroom stalls. Makes for good restroom reading.

On the other hand the campus and parts of the state street business area are covered with "FRESH". I don't think anyone finds it offensive though because no one understand what the eff it means. Just woke up one day this summer and Ann Arbor was substantially "fresh-er" than it was the day before.

The Dequindre Cut is making some great strides! Workers were onsite even on Saturday. :)

2288532485_1c2ff2f496_o.jpg

And on a major positive side note, it appears as though transit is still being planned for the future to connect the river to Eastern Market!

2289321576_84255076c0_o.jpg

The Lafayette Avenue access ramp.

2289321446_d856ffed66_o.jpg

The old cut looking toward Eastern Market/Gratiot.

2289321484_5aa011003d_o.jpg

Archived