Gaston Mall

DigitalSky

Well, there was not one thread solely devoted to Gaston Mall as it was spread throughout other threads.. mainly the SuperTarget, Media Play and HT threads, http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.ph...ite=Gaston+Mall so here's a place for new updates:

The O is reporting that if the mall does get redeveloped, Mary Jo's fabric store will definately stay in its position, and Harris Teeter/smaller shops possibly (I would think if HT wants to keep this location they'd "update" the store).

here's an image of the old Media Play via CoStar.com

More pics of Gaston Mall here:

http://livemalls.blogspot.com/2007/03/gast...h-carolina.html

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was sitting outside the mall last Sunday waiting for some friends to pick me up on a trip to Gaffney. There were tons of people going into Jackson's Cafeteria. It probably rivals the IHOP just up the road.

I guess that says something about the Sunday-after church meal with the family.

I wonder where it will go when that portion of the mall is gone.

Also, I read in the Gaston portion of the Observer last week that there are still some major hurdles that have to be overcome before anything major can be put on that space. There is a huge issue with Duhart creek and the runoff from all of the extra parking lot that has to be dealt with.

At any point, I would like to see SOMETHING go there. It is just dead space that has so much potential. Once they get that area fixed, it will be one massive shopping experience on Franklin Blvd. Starting from Lowell with Ghazi's new project all the way to East - West what the hell am I mall on New Hope Road! :wacko:

• 5 months later...

Some News

Target plans to build a 134,000 square foot store here (relocate from their current location up the road).

Additionally, the existing "mall" section will be gone and replaced by Best Buy and Dick's Sporting Goods.

Harris Teeter and Mary Jo's will stay in their current locations, with some small shops behind HT. (For some reason, HT is not expanding though)

http://www.coreproperties.com/listings_det...p;PropertyID=59

Best Buy? So they are moving out of franklin square?

Yes, our bosses told us that when I worked there last summer.

Also, most of Gaston's tenants are moving to Akers Center. I know for a fact that Cash's Barber, Lebo's, Jackson's and Last Place on Earth Pet Store are all moving to Akers.

Yes, our bosses told us that when I worked there last summer.

Also, most of Gaston's tenants are moving to Akers Center. I know for a fact that Cash's Barber, Lebo's, Jackson's and Last Place on Earth Pet Store are all moving to Akers.

And John's Toy and Hobby moved to some place on south new hope according to Gaston Gazette's website.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 years later...

The redevelopment looks very nice; I haven't been to the newly-done mall or the Target (just driven by, as it all seems to still be under construction), but the developers seem to have done a good job.

Conversely, Eastridge Mall in Gastonia seems to be having some issues; the Wall Street Journal ranked it among the malls in the US with the lowest sales per square foot, and a visit to it on Saturday bore that out. One anchor in particular seemed under-merchandised- the men's department had plenty of empty space, with one portion having just a couple of tables scattered around, with very few customers. Too bad.

Archived