20-Year-Old Announces Mayoral Candidacy

HartfordTycoon

This is pretty cool. A 20 year old has announced his candidacy. I'll merge this later with the election thread but thought it was interesting enough for a new topic.

"Many may use my age to exclude my ideas and to try and put doubt on my abilities, but let the games end and see who succeeds."

WFSB Story

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good Lord...

...while I admire the young man's dedication to the city and courage to launch a candidacy, I believe Hartford will be best served by someone with seasoned experience in public policy and coalition-building. A young mayor may be effective in a smaller rural city like Torrington, but I don't believe a young mayor would be effective in the Capital City.

In any case, it's good to see five challengers to Perez. Despite what one might think of Perez, I'm glad to see a renewed interest in Hartford politics and City Hall.

Good Lord...

...while I admire the young man's dedication to the city and courage to launch a candidacy, I believe Hartford will be best served by someone with seasoned experience in public policy and coalition-building. A young mayor may be effective in a smaller rural city like Torrington, but I don't believe a young mayor would be effective in the Capital City.

In any case, it's good to see five challengers to Perez. Despite what one might think of Perez, I'm glad to see a renewed interest in Hartford politics and City Hall.

Interesting that you mention that. A co worker of mine from Torrington is not that crazy about their mayor. I don't think this kid has too much of a chance, but I am certainly interested to hear his perspective and see how the other candidates react to someone who will more than likely not be affraid to call them out.

Precisely. She, with good intentions, caters to the immediate social needs of Hartford citizens, but that objective is often short-sighted. Not that she has actually supported this, but I could imagine her supporting the owner of the abandoned High Street building (next to the Holiday Inn Express, with sweeping views of the park and capitol building) turning it into a halfway house or low-income housing. Regardless of Hartford's needs for both, neither should be in the CBD, especially not in that location. I fear that she would be even more beholden to the unions than Mayor Eddie. And, believe it or not, she makes him sound like an English professor.

If at least one 20 year old looks at all the bad things in Hartford and wants to change it, more power to him. If he already hasn't been corrupted by the surroundings, surely someone his age with little political background will be good.

After all, could it be worse than Perez?

If at least one 20 year old looks at all the bad things in Hartford and wants to change it, more power to him. If he already hasn't been corrupted by the surroundings, surely someone his age with little political background will be good.

After all, could it be worse than Perez?

Archived