Hall House to be sold and demolished!

TONYCLT

(yes i live in tryon house).

tryon house!

my buddy and i lived there for a year or so. LOVED IT. i really miss living there. ive lived in a couple of the new, fancy places downtown since then, and still prefer tryon house. i really hate the fact that the management was so horrible; thats why we moved out (smelled a dead guy for about 10 days til anything happened).

its really a shame there arent more apt buildings like this downtown (old, inexpensive, character). they want people to move downtown, but its like they assume everyone's a banker who wants to live in an expensive cookie-cutter condo.

how's the trizzle hizzle holding up? we were in 211.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

tryon house!

my buddy and i lived there for a year or so. LOVED IT. i really miss living there. ive lived in a couple of the new, fancy places downtown since then, and still prefer tryon house. i really hate the fact that the management was so horrible; thats why we moved out (smelled a dead guy for about 10 days til anything happened).

its really a shame there arent more apt buildings like this downtown (old, inexpensive, character). they want people to move downtown, but its like they assume everyone's a banker who wants to live in an expensive cookie-cutter condo.

how's the trizzle hizzle holding up? we were in 211.

nice! i wondered what people on this board think of it.

i guess its holding up alright, but you almost KNOW they won't bother to seriously renovate this place so i tend to think it won't be here more than a decade (optimistic). and yeah i knew what to expect, no amenities at all, management doesn't clean anything if they can help it, mysterious odors, etc etc. once inside my apartment though its great and i haven't had any significant problems except for noisy radiators.

i landed possibly the sweetest unit in the building, fronting tryon street. a very intimate view of the city i think, haha. really its been great as my very first urban residence. nothing like watching parades from the living room (the occasional fight/arrest is pretty entertaining too). i'd love to see some more inexpensive apartments in uptown because there is such a huge degree of diversity in here and lots of people that really give uptown a small shot of vibrancy.

My partner lived in Tryon House when we met. His fun Tryon story -- actually he had many -- was the mouse he kept hearing in his kitchen at night. He set out some food one night to try and see it, ran in, switched on the lights and was confronted by a terrified Possum!!

I love the building -- hopefully it will survive.

Hopefully this new use, even temporary, is buying some time for a plan to come about that saves the Hall House. Perhaps the slow real estate market and ecomomic problems might be its saving grace. Not a lot of developers looking for sites like that at the moment, so market pressure is at least diminished. It really would be great to see this landmark saved and reused -- however so I'd be happy.

(the occasional fight/arrest is pretty entertaining too).

my favorite was watching the crackheads out front on tryon. we had a baaad problem for a while. you know those grates that cover the stairwells on both sides of the main entrance? those werent there when we moved in. people would go down in that stairwell and smoke crack constantly. we watched quite a few get busted by cops (i even waved down a cop from the window once and just pointed down). eventually they put those grates down, thankfully.

damn. i wanna move back in!

• 3 years later...

It was a nice hotel at some point. I realize that CHA has put negative investments into it, either letting it fall in disrepair or turning the interior into a low cost institution. But it is really a character building that we need interspersed with all the shiny new stuff.

Forget the crackheads or whatever else negative you associate with a building. Crackheads can just as easily be in a bucolic suburban cul-de-sac, but people of vision can redevelop old structures like it into the future with adaptive reuse.

My old place at Tryon House faced it. I never had any negative feelings towards the place. I think it was housing disabled elderly people as well as homeless women with children at the time but I almost never saw the tenants. I heard that was always a temporary solution though and I always imagined that if renovated into (relatively) low-cost apartments like Tryon House it would easily fill up with the same eclectic mix. I really liked all my neighbors and thought Uptown would be a much more vibrant place with just a few more similar buildings.

Archived