Fairmont-Roosevelt Sold?

tombarnes

Fairmont May Be Sold

Fairmont's recent termination of staff and suspension of restoration work at the Fairmont Hotel suggest that a sale may be in the works. Has anyone heard anything about this? It's entirely possible that Fairmont may retain the management contract for the hotel under new ownership. I'd like to see the name Roosevelt returned to the hotel, even though that was not its original name. "Fairmont" by itself is too generic. In any event, it has always been one of my favorites in New Orleans- especially the bar with its murals.

McPaper Online

• 4 months later...

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Flag Change For Fairmont Likely

The sale of the Fairmont may mean a return of the earlier (if not original) name of the property- the Roosevelt. The article mentions a possibility of a re-flagging of the hotel as a member of the Waldorf=Astoria Collection, a sub-group of Hilton. This would make some sense. Also, the removal of the 170 rooms in the adjacent building wouldn't be a great loss at all. I've heard many complaints about the rooms in the newer building. I love this grand old hotel, but it's high time for some fresh ideas for the place.

Hotels Magazine Online

• 4 weeks later...

Fairmont to Become the Waldorf=Astoria

The sale of the Fairmont to Roosevelt Ventures has been completed. I walked over to the hotel on Wednesday morning and found at least ten or twelve construction workers on site. Final decisions have not been made about the fate of a number of the public rooms. In truth, the Fairmont had perhaps too many public rooms for the number of guest rooms it had. Now, of course, the number of rooms is being reduced again to a more manageable 500. I hope the Blue Room can be resuscitated somehow.

The Times-Picayune

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Archived