Commuting to Worcester, avoiding 146/290

urbie

Hey, I'm starting a new job on Monday, in Worcester. With all the construction up where 146 meets I-290, obviously there is no way I'm going to try to go there at rush hour without a plan for getting off 146 early and going around the construction.

What's the best way to do it? I'm going to be working at a building that's just off I-290 on Lincoln St., so that's a couple of exits east of where 146 hits 290. Just looking at the map, it looks like getting off 146 somewhere like Route 20, then cutting over to 122 and getting on 290 from there, might work. But how far does the traffic on 146 tend to back up at rush hour? How soon do you need to bail on 146?

Urb

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey, I'm starting a new job on Monday, in Worcester. With all the construction up where 146 meets I-290, obviously there is no way I'm going to try to go there at rush hour without a plan for getting off 146 early and going around the construction.

What's the best way to do it? I'm going to be working at a building that's just off I-290 on Lincoln St., so that's a couple of exits east of where 146 hits 290. Just looking at the map, it looks like getting off 146 somewhere like Route 20, then cutting over to 122 and getting on 290 from there, might work. But how far does the traffic on 146 tend to back up at rush hour? How soon do you need to bail on 146?

Urb

146 to 20 to 122 is going to add enough to your commute (and 122 can have it's own problems) that it's not worth it. Even taking 146 to 20 to Massasoit to connect back to 122 is annoying, IMO.

I haven't taken 146 all the way into Worcester in quite a while, but I went to WPI and lived in Worcester for 7 years. I know a few tricks.

What I would be most likely to do if I wanted to use 290 is 146 to McKeon St. then come around Holy Cross's stadium and get on 290 at Southbridge St. This takes you a little bit West, but might be worth it.

Another option is to take 122A (Providence Rd.) when it splits from 146 which will take you up the hill past the old St. Vincent's Hospital, then go down Vernon St. to hook up with 290. This is a little more direct, but typically has more traffic than my option listed above.

How far up Lincoln St. are you? If you want to avoid 290 through Worcester entirely (I have no idea what that traffic looks like nowadays) and if you are up at the end that is closer to Shrewsbury/Boylston and Lake Quinsigamond, then I might suggest 146 to 20 to Sunderland Rd. to Lake Ave all the way along the Lake until it hits Lincoln St.

I also commute to Worcester and second Brick's recommendation about taking Providence St. to Vernon. However, sometimes the back-up on 146 as you approach 290 is not as bad as it looks since the traffic does move steadily though slowly. I find it can be faster just to stay on 146 depending on the time I go up. You have to experiment.

Does anyone know when the 146/290 interchange is FINALLY going to be done? It's been years.

I also commute to Worcester and second Brick's recommendation about taking Providence St. to Vernon. However, sometimes the back-up on 146 as you approach 290 is not as bad as it looks since the traffic does move steadily though slowly. I find it can be faster just to stay on 146 depending on the time I go up. You have to experiment.

Does anyone know when the 146/290 interchange is FINALLY going to be done? It's been years.

That's a tough one. It is all going to boil down to the eact time. I never drive that direction, but you will find 290 gets backed up in the morning, and that will back traffic up onto 146. Now, if you are ahead of or before that time, you might find it quicker to get right on 290. If not, you might explore going Providence st, by the old St. Vincent's Hospital. It won't keep you from traveling down 290 (unless you drive through downtown), but it might save you the hassle of that intersection. There's also Granite St, which is off rt 20 now and is a back road, might save you a little time. If all you are trying to do is avoid the interchange of 146 and 290, get off onto Greenwood however you do that now and take McKeon rd around Holy Cross, but that will tie you up at southbridge st.

Personally, I think you will find that with a bit of schedule tweaking, your best bet is to simply stay on 146.

I feel for ya. Been there and being out of work is quite stressful.

I was thinking tonight - you said the old State Mutual building - you mean Allmerica building? I was thinking the lower part of Lincoln - sorry, spaced out. There is a possible quicker way - that would be to jump off 146 at Rt. 20, and take that all the way east to Lake Ave. Basically you cut through the Big Y market parking lot. Take Lake Ave all the way down to pick up 290 Westbound for an exit. It's a bit complicated, and I probably wouldn't try it on my first day. And 20 can be a pain in the ass. But it's an option, and it takes you past the strip clubs. :unsure:

I feel for ya. Been there and being out of work is quite stressful.

I was thinking tonight - you said the old State Mutual building - you mean Allmerica building? I was thinking the lower part of Lincoln - sorry, spaced out. There is a possible quicker way - that would be to jump off 146 at Rt. 20, and take that all the way east to Lake Ave. Basically you cut through the Big Y market parking lot. Take Lake Ave all the way down to pick up 290 Westbound for an exit. It's a bit complicated, and I probably wouldn't try it on my first day. And 20 can be a pain in the ass. But it's an option, and it takes you past the strip clubs. :unsure:

146 to 290 don't seem too terrible compared to other cities.

If you're that desperate to get around, I'd try the 20 East to Lake Ave. route suggested above.

If all else fails, I'd suggest 146 to 20 east to 140 north. From 140, jump on I-290 west to Exit 20 (or shortcut on Main St. in Shrewsbury which turns into Lincoln in Worcester). Hanover should be right near there. It's much further out of the way than the Lake Ave. route, but may not be as congested. 140, except for Shrewsbury Center, is a fairly fast road too.

Look up Google maps.

Anyone notice that in Worcester all the brand new infrastructure for the 290/146 interchange is pretty much spotless while in Providence practically every square foot for the new 95/195 interchange is covered in graffiti? Why is this? :dontknow:

146 to 290 don't seem too terrible compared to other cities.

If you're that desperate to get around, I'd try the 20 East to Lake Ave. route suggested above.

If all else fails, I'd suggest 146 to 20 east to 140 north. From 140, jump on I-290 west to Exit 20 (or shortcut on Main St. in Shrewsbury which turns into Lincoln in Worcester). Hanover should be right near there. It's much further out of the way than the Lake Ave. route, but may not be as congested. 140, except for Shrewsbury Center, is a fairly fast road too.

Look up Google maps.

Archived