Cement Flooring Construction Question

eagle

Hoping to reach someone knowledgable about cement work.

We're purchasing a new condo. This is an unfinished unit but the units on either side of it have been lived in for approx 1.5 years. The cement floor in the basement has a crack in it that is concerning to me. I expect most floors to have hairline crack but this one is much bigger.

I've spoken w/ the builder who, of course, says it's no big deal. The floor's tiled well so they'll reseal it and everything will be great.

I've spoken w/ several other builders who have basically said it's probably not a big deal as long as the walls aren't cracked.

It is still, however, concerning to me becuase I don't want something to be a problem down the road.

I'll descibe it and look forward to your opinions.

It runs the length of the floor but the walls seem fine. The width of the crack is slightly wider than a Nickel.

At one point several smaller cracks branch off and there's actually a small chunk of cement missing from where they join. (approx 1 inch long and maybe a little wider than a pencil.)

The builder is having the cement guy come back and seal the floor to a condition that is satisfactory to me.

Is this something that would concern you?

Thanks!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hoping to reach someone knowledgable about cement work.

We're purchasing a new condo. This is an unfinished unit but the units on either side of it have been lived in for approx 1.5 years. The cement floor in the basement has a crack in it that is concerning to me. I expect most floors to have hairline crack but this one is much bigger.

I've spoken w/ the builder who, of course, says it's no big deal. The floor's tiled well so they'll reseal it and everything will be great.

I've spoken w/ several other builders who have basically said it's probably not a big deal as long as the walls aren't cracked.

It is still, however, concerning to me becuase I don't want something to be a problem down the road.

I'll descibe it and look forward to your opinions.

It runs the length of the floor but the walls seem fine. The width of the crack is slightly wider than a Nickel.

At one point several smaller cracks branch off and there's actually a small chunk of cement missing from where they join. (approx 1 inch long and maybe a little wider than a pencil.)

The builder is having the cement guy come back and seal the floor to a condition that is satisfactory to me.

Is this something that would concern you?

Thanks!

There are two constants in life: 1) you will die, and 2) concrete will crack.

Not having seen this crack, it doesn't sound like something I would worry about. Where I would worry is if there was evidence of one corner of the house settling and causing both the floor and the wall to crack. This would signify that either the house is on crap soil or the builder didn't do a very good job of compacting the soil where the footings are (Sometimes this is indication of other shoddy work).

Sealing the floor isn't going to do anything. If it gives you a warm fuzzy feeling and the building is willing to pay for it then, what the heck? But functionally, it isn't going to accomplish much. So if the builder trys to charge you for it, tell him to take it on down the road.

Does the crack follow along where an underground drain line might be? Sometimes concrete floors have a tendancy to crack along where underground things are.

Overall, I wouldn't sweat it.

Archived