Tallahassee Waterworks

Monticello-1827

When is the renovation supposed to be completed on the Old City Waterworks? I was at tallahassee.com and there was a gallery showing city and county officials touring the place on March 16, 2007, prior to the renovations commencing. The was a blurb under one of the photos that it is being renovated to be a restaurant. I think that is a great idea and using the historic structure for a new purpose will only enhance downtown!

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I commented on the TDO.com page yesterday that I think this site would make a great location for an aquarium complex. What better name than Tallahassee Waterworks Complex to place our Aquarium. It would be awesome to walk into this restaurant then down into a basement of glass with fish swimming all around it!

Tallahassee has to start thinking outside the box. Restaurant is a good idea, but a little more creativity is needed. One of our weaknesses as a community is the lack of creativity. We've got too much brains as a city, to be so uncreative.

I commented on the TDO.com page yesterday that I think this site would make a great location for an aquarium complex. What better name than Tallahassee Waterworks Complex to place our Aquarium. It would be awesome to walk into this restaurant then down into a basement of glass with fish swimming all around it!

Tallahassee has to start thinking outside the box. Restaurant is a good idea, but a little more creativity is needed. One of our weaknesses as a community is the lack of creativity. We've got too much brains as a city, to be so uncreative.

i don't think it's a lack of creativity on the part of the community as a whole that limits the breadth of the projects downtown but rather i think the county and city boards tend to play it too safe.

but regardless, a restaurant will be a pretty cool use for the building as i do not think it would be large enough for a decent aquarium...

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Got this the other day from the Cypress Restaurant owner - thought I'd share:

That (Waterworks) is a cool building. My Mom actually wanted to put a restaurant

there in the 70's! The developers, who I have great respect for, have city

money to fix up the building but none to remove the big cistern and outlying

buildings, equipment, etc. (unless the circumstances have changed).

Inaddition, we own our building so to move would mean we'd be renting.

We are already struggling with parking in our current location so to

move would mean non-existent parking as well as limited visibility.

Take care,

David

Got this the other day from the Cypress Restaurant owner - thought I'd share:

That (Waterworks) is a cool building. My Mom actually wanted to put a restaurant

there in the 70's! The developers, who I have great respect for, have city

money to fix up the building but none to remove the big cistern and outlying

buildings, equipment, etc. (unless the circumstances have changed).

Inaddition, we own our building so to move would mean we'd be renting.

We are already struggling with parking in our current location so to

move would mean non-existent parking as well as limited visibility.

Take care,

David

Hmm I'm sad to hear they won't be moving into that building. However their reasons do make sense especially when it comes visibility and to parking.......there's none at the Waterworks building. They did put the owner's wife on the GSVC (Gaines Street Vitalization Committee) no not the GGG, I know it's confusing, b/c of their possible move to the waterworks building on Gaines. No big deal that she's still on that board, I know they were just hoping to fill some of the spots w/biz owners on the corridor.

^ I had also recently heard that Cypress would not be moving for the same reasons as stated above however, I've also heard that David's Mom is still very interested in doing something along the lines of a Bistro within the Gaines Street corridor. This would also give her a bigger location to base her very successful catering business out of.

Archived