downtown retail

bleedgreen

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd love a small electronics store, downtown, even a chain like RadioShack in one of the small storefronts. I'd also like a full-service grocery store somewhere on the far westside of downtown that would not just serve, downtown, but the entire central city.

Bars and restaurants are nice, and all, but it's about time we get some practical retail going.

I'd love a small electronics store, downtown, even a chain like RadioShack in one of the small storefronts. I'd also like a full-service grocery store somewhere on the far westside of downtown that would not just serve, downtown, but the entire central city.

Bars and restaurants are nice, and all, but it's about time we get some practical retail going.

It's your typical businesses for these type of retail developments early in downtown's renaissance. I heard they are trying to attract a gym, a bank, and they've apparently already signed a coffee shop. I'll try to see if I can dig up any additional information concerning the retail.

EDIT: Just got an email back from the developer. He says that, so far, the tenants are Briarwood Real Estate and 5/3 Bank on the first floor, and The Greater Lansing Chamber of Commerce on the second floor.

Of the 25,000 square feet of commercial/retail space on the first floor, he's leased 6,300 square feet. Of the the 11,000 square feet on the second floor, he's leased 8,100 square feet. So, still a bit of room to feel. I hope this doesn't end up being almost all commercial office space. That's what happened with the groundfloor of the Arbaugh.

It's your typical businesses for these type of retail developments early in downtown's renaissance. I heard they are trying to attract a gym, a bank, and they've apparently already signed a coffee shop. I'll try to see if I can dig up any additional information concerning the retail.

EDIT: Just got an email back from the developer. He says that, so far, the tenants are Briarwood Real Estate and 5/3 Bank on the first floor, and The Greater Lansing Chamber of Commerce on the second floor.

Of the 25,000 square feet of commercial/retail space on the first floor, he's leased 6,300 square feet. Of the the 11,000 square feet on the second floor, he's leased 8,100 square feet. So, still a bit of room to feel. I hope this doesn't end up being almost all commercial office space. That's what happened with the groundfloor of the Arbaugh.

I think gillespie mispoke when he said only 6,500 sq ft is leased, CBRE shows that only 6500 sq ftt is left on the first floor.

As for retail downtown I don't know where to begin, so I'll just list them:

1. Drugstore (CVS/Walgreens type), on or right off Washingon.

2. Grocery Store, somewhere on the edge of downtown, it would have to be something clean and well managed.

3. Big city style dance club(s), on Washington, the only option for something like that now is Xcel and needless to say it doesn't appeal to everyone.

4. More bars/resturaunts concentrated on Michigan and Washington, both have more entertainment potential that retail,also I think a microbrewery similar to the old Blue Coyote would be great.

Lastly a retail district must be established, because I see Michigan and Washington both moving forward as being almost exclusively catered to entertainment purposes, besides entertainment and retail work best being nearby, but seperate. I think Grand Ave would make a perfect candidate, it's a virtually blank slate open for development. As I've said before I see Grand getting almost entirely rebuilt, with residential and ground floor retail. I'd like to see some high end stores that you find in other downtowns. That's what downtown really needs, destination stores where they are the only thing in the area like them, stores like Saks 5th ave, Armani, Coach, ect... Lansing has none of those stores right now, in fact you would have to go to Detroit(?) or Chicago to find them. If we could attract those stores people may come from GR and further to shop here. I may sound unrealistic, but there are people who go to Chicago just to hit those stores, and I'm sure theres many, many more people who don't buy those products simply becasue theres nowhere convenient to go get them.

I know it couldn't top Flat, Black, and Circular in EL (in my opinion anyway), but I would love to see a vintage record shop downtown...

Lansing has a more lively music scene than it's given credit for.

Or a small instrument store (thinking White Bros. in Okemos), that may even draw students and such....after they realize they cannot afford anything at Elderly!

I also agree with the suggestion of a Microbrewery (i.e. Blue Coyote)...I think that would be a big draw for many in the area. I always thought that downtown Lansing would be a MUCH better location for Michigan Brewing Co. than Webberville...

Archived