Charlotte Urban Planning Policies

e2ksj3

Charlotte just can't learn. As more and more time passes and more and more run of the mill suburban mindset crap gets approved, the less inclined I am to stay around. Examples include:

Wendy's and Metropolitan

Bojangles and Burger King in Elizabeth

Overstreet Walkway at BofA and NASCAR

Off Broadway Shoes, Auto Bell Car Wash and Chik fil A on South Blvd

After these most recent clusters, I grow weary of how planning does nothing to move us forward. Furthermore, most developers settle for the lowest common denominator. No one cares about how their structures will age, what their projects effect on the environment will be, or what kind of legacy they leave behind. The sad part is that we as a city stand for it and let it get by scott free. Sad, really. This place has (or had) the chance to be a real positive example, instead, we move ever closer to being the next poster child for all things that a place can do wrong.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Corrective rezonings must be passed, builders and developers must be told NO! once in a while and be held to a higher standard than what the city currently does. My goodness, if small towns like Davidson and Huntersvilles can require developers to do what is right and still be bursting at the seams with lines of them waiting to get in, surely a big city like Charlotte can use a little muscle now and then and get a better result.

on the topic of nodes, Charlotte's inner suburbs and street development patterns are not oriented toward node development. I would like to see a reprioritization of the street network that would be more "node like". currently all roads are oriented "artery style" leading to downtown or radiating from downtown. I think there may be opportunities to create arteries that center on nodes especially those that are trying to revitilize like Eastland Mall, Wilkenson blvd, University City, Derita etc.

Going back to impact fees....

Please don't interpret this as an endorsement because it is not, but, I tend to think of impact fees as only so much ballyhoo. Over time, land prices would be impacted by the fees, not the consumer. REBIC, Mulvaney and others who are out front on their unrepentant charge to clear anything with a leaf on it off the face of the earth to make room for yet another Tahoe would have you believe that consumers would suffer from such fees. I don't believe it. Defend land values....that's an argument I would listen to.

Also, I am a proponent of urban growth boundaries.

Charlotte is a city that is faking its urbanity. There is nothing wrong with that by my mind....assuming it is done well and done completely, which it has not been. There are no natural barriers to growth in Charlotte (rivers, lakes, and oceans being most common elsewhere). We have very liberal annexation laws in North Carolina and the city is pro-business (i.e., we don't know how to say "NO"). Sprawl will continue unabated until ordinanced away. You can't provide enough incentives to stop it and you can't "Transit" over the problem....

Archived