Jackson Ward Developments

wrldcoupe4

Thought we could go ahead and start a thread devoted to Jackson Ward, as it is a great neighborhood in transition.

Some links to learn more if you're interested:

City of Richmond - Neighborhoods in Bloom: Jackson Ward

Wikipedia - Jackson Ward

Historic Richmond Foundation - Jackson Ward

A.C.O.R.N. - Jackson Ward

Let's start off with one of the newest condo projects

Here's the new website for the 2C Condos in the old Virginia Mutual Insurance Building at 112 E Clay Street.

http://www.2ccondos.com/

2c_exterior.jpg

It includes 12 very contemporary units (see the gallery) and even has rooftop trees :) Units even have sliding glass/bamboo walls.

More projects, photos, restaurant updates etc etc etc can be added as well, so feel free to add them! I just wanted to break the ice. :)

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 months later...

As of 2 weeks ago, 10 of 12 condos at the 2C Condos have been sold, and a restaurant is planned in the street level commercial space.

There is also progress being made on reusing the Armory.

And look for new gateway signs at key points entering the neighborhood in the near future, donated by PMUSA and designed by Cornerstone Architects.

Click here for more info.

• 3 weeks later...

As of 2 weeks ago, 10 of 12 condos at the 2C Condos have been sold, and a restaurant is planned in the street level commercial space.

There is also progress being 2C condosmade on reusing the Armory.

And look for new gateway signs at key points entering the neighborhood in the near future, donated by PMUSA and designed by Cornerstone Architects.

Click here for more info.

How did I miss this whole new thread which began back in March? The old man's really losing it!

That is fabulous news about 2C condos; I was afraid they would move very slowly.

Do you know, Coupe, if units in the Masonic Building at n/w corner of 3rd and Marshall are occupied. I think, after conversion to residential, they made these rental units.

Any news on the Hipp?

Needless to say, I am having trouble negotiating the Jackson Ward/Carver site, but I'll keep trying.

Is there a way the map of Jackson Commons can "come alive" so that we can read what Numbers 1, 2, 3 and 4 are referring to? Is there a web site that explains it all? I think the intersection of Leigh Street and Chamberlayne Avenue is at the bottom of the map. That's where the Bojangles statue is located and already a line of new, nice looking townhouses has risen. I'm going to cross my finger and hope that Jackson Street, as depicted, will become a tree-lined thoroughfare.

Despite its proximity to Gilpin Court, Jackson Commons could become a sought-after location.

The numbers correspond to the phases of the project.

But do the numbers describe those phases and include a time frame? I'd like to know if all the "houses" shown on the map will be new or re-built homes; and when landscaping and tree-planting will take place.

There must be a web site somewhere. Does anybody know how to access it?

Here's all I can gather:

http://monroeproperties.com/development/commons/default.asp

The map is different than the one Cam took a photo of, but it gives you an idea.

I figure with homes already done that I might get somewhere with a sales request. I will try and tour one of the homes, and see what pricing and such is. Also what their time frame is on getting the other phases built and such.

I figure with homes already done that I might get somewhere with a sales request. I will try and tour one of the homes, and see what pricing and such is. Also what their time frame is on getting the other phases built and such.

Cam (Cadeho to you, journi (we old folks call him by his rightful name. :camera: ) has some excellent shots of the new row of homes at Leigh and Chamberlayne in his newest set of pictures.

Cam (Cadeho to you, journi (we old folks call him by his rightful name. :camera: ) has some excellent shots of the new row of homes at Leigh and Chamberlayne in his newest set of pictures.

I saw those, I have an appointment for next Tuesday with one of the realtors to view the model and get some more information. Ill get some shots tonight during my walk to show my wife, etc.

Here's all I can gather:

http://monroeproperties.com/development/commons/default.asp

The map is different than the one Cam took a photo of, but it gives you an idea.

This is a fabulous web site. Monroe Properties has done beautiful work on many old buildings. Isn't the guy who did all of this named Robin Miller?

I remember on a trip several years ago some friends and I looked at apartments in the old Medical Arts (116 East Franklin) and Sydnor Hundley on Grace between 1st and 2nd and were very impressed.

Our friend, whom we rarely hear from anymore (Shakman), lives in the old Johnson Willis Hospital now called Kensington Court. After a Venture Richmond meeting we had both attended he took me up to the roof of his building which offers surprisingly wide and excellent views of the city. I did not see his apartment, but photos on the Monroe web site look quite interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

I found it...."Jackson Place". Any word on if this is going ahead or not?

http://www.urbandesignconcepts.com/

I believe that concept is dead or, at best, in limbo.

There's a real estate man named Ron Stallings who promises all sorts of good development for Jackson Ward, but is short on delivery. The derelict HIPPODROME on North 2nd Street is one of his properties, though it's rumored that Prodigy Partners may be involved in actual improvement to the vacant building.

Prodigy Partners is restoring the Lighthouse Diner on Hull Street in Manchester and is planning a two-level restaurant called CANVAS on the north side of Broad between the Convention Center and Broadway apartments.

Does anyone know what is going on with the old Eggleston Hotel at 2nd and Leigh, across from the Croaker's Spot? Some time ago, I had heard that the owner of the Croaker's Spot was supposed to be acquiring that building but that was before the proposed expansion plans that passed city council some months ago. That is a very interesting building (architecturally) and it seems a shame that a building with that big of a footprint sits abandoned.

• 2 months later...

RE: Eggleston Hotel

An older woman who lives down the street from me is somehow related to the Croker's Spot folkes and told me some months ago that the Croaker's Spot owner was going to fix and re-open that building.

Could Croaker's be expanding there? I know they are a popular restaurant and their current building is rather small.

• 5 months later...

Is Richmond ready for another music venue -- perhaps a B.B.KING's? While the city lacks an arena to attract the big shows, Richmond is gaining a reputation as a mecca for mid-sized facilities featuring mid-stream concerts. Already, Toads and The National are bringing suburbanites and out-of-towners to Center City. Why not a club specializing in Blues, and especially on "The Deuce." B. B. KING's would be a major atraction, especially since they are located only in New York, Memphis, Nashville and Orlando. But if KING's cannot be enticed to lend its name to The Hippodrome, a club in the old theatre would still attract an untapped audience, IMO.

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news.apx.-co...05-15-0147.html

Archived