Montgomery Developments

Southron

From another thread:Cool, tell us more about the Idea Factory. When and where is it held?
The Idea Factory is put on by the Development Department. Hosted by Chad Emerson and Tyler Caldwell. Robert Smith is in attendance to speak with everyone. They at the Dexter Plaza (old One Court Square building) typically hold the events every Thursday 5-7. Dreamland BBQ has catered the last events with food, beer and water so it's save to say that future events should be as well. They show architectural drawings of new projects and ask the public that attends to write down suggestions. They collect these ideas and implement them. Developers and architects attend also to gauge the public on what needs to be built. The office is actually open weekdays 8-5 so they encourage anyone to walk in to discuss any ideas you may have.Previous Idea Factory events have been traveling to Atlanta to explore the InTown neighborhoods, getting an ideas for restaurants that we need downtown and screening the documentary about urban farming called FRESH. Email Tyler at [email protected] to get on the list. When I get the email for the next one, I'll make a post before hand. Edited by brad0022

Also another group called Helicity will hold an event named The Future is Now on June 3rd in the building of the former Brew Pub off Jefferson Ave. Helicity is another group of young professionals that are hoping to make changes in this city. Search Facebook for helicity montgomery for more info.

Does anyone know who bought the old Alabama Theater on N. Perry and Monroe? It is not a property that was owned by the city like 71 and 11 Dexter (which have also been bought). There was a for sale sign on it for the longest time, but now there is a sale pending sign. Just curious to know if anyone knows who the potential buyer is.

The sale pending sign is still there at the old Montgomery Theater building. No clue here though about the identity of the potential buyer.

Mgm_Theater.jpg

• 1 month later...

I don't have a new picture of this, but I was driving past it on Wednesday, after not being downtown for awhile. Located on the corners of Bibb and Commerce directly across from the Hank Williams Museum, the smallest building with the greenish awnings which extends to the one with the concaved entrance door, which contains a Chinese Restaurant and Sous le Terre has completely redone its siding and painting. These are the projects --one's with preexisting owners fixing up old buildings to keep up with the Joneses-- that really revitalize a city. Next time I'm downtown I will post a new picture.

AbramsPhone052.jpg

I don't have a new picture of this, but I was driving past it on Wednesday, after not being downtown for awhile. Located on the corners of Bibb and Commerce directly across from the Hank Williams Museum, the smallest building with the greenish awnings which extends to the one with the concaved entrance door, which contains a Chinese Restaurant and Sous le Terre has completely redone its siding and painting. These are the projects --one's with preexisting owners fixing up old buildings to keep up with the Joneses-- that really revitalize a city. Next time I'm downtown I will post a new picture.

It really does looks much, much better. The bricks and formerly rusty ironwork have been painted, the stonework and plaster cleaned and the windows are being replaced now.

Local architect Mike Watson of 2WR plans to renovate the Kress Building, creating 30 new residential units, a 200-person performance venue, a bar, a small eatery, a rooftop terrace and a small fitness center. The Dexter Ave and Monroe St facades will be returned to their original 1929 appearance. Watson plans to incorporate a neighboring property, 35 Dexter, into the project and awaits city council approval at an August 2nd meeting.

Awesome! Renovation of the Kress Building will be a huge step forward for lower Dexter.

Proposed plan would give new life, purpose to Kress building

Plan Details

Dexter Ave facade rendering

Kress_renov1.png

Older pics of the Dexter Ave and Monroe St facades

Kress_Dexter1.jpg

Kress_Monroe1.jpg

Local architect Mike Watson of 2WR plans to renovate the Kress Building, creating 30 new residential units, a 200-person performance venue, a bar, a small eatery, a rooftop terrace and a small fitness center. The Dexter Ave and Monroe St facades will be returned to their original 1929 appearance. Watson plans to incorporate a neighboring property, 35 Dexter, into the project and awaits city council approval at an August 2nd meeting.

Awesome! Renovation of the Kress Building will be a huge step forward for lower Dexter.

The Kress Building downtown --heck pretty much all Kress Buildings everywhere in America-- is one of my favorite buildings, I'm glad to see their are plans for it.

I don't have a new picture of this, but I was driving past it on Wednesday, after not being downtown for awhile. Located on the corners of Bibb and Commerce directly across from the Hank Williams Museum, the smallest building with the greenish awnings which extends to the one with the concaved entrance door, which contains a Chinese Restaurant and Sous le Terre has completely redone its siding and painting. These are the projects --one's with preexisting owners fixing up old buildings to keep up with the Joneses-- that really revitalize a city.

AbramsPhone052.jpg

The new paint looks great. Exterior work is still underway, with a few of the new windows in place this afternoon.

Commerce_Reno_1.jpg

Making some progress at 78 Dexter as well.

78Dexter_3.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Some sad news to report. According to the mayor, it looks like the historic Montgomery Theater building may not survive the partial collapse it suffered this summer after renovation work had begun. The antebellum building was set to house a restaurant at street level, offices on the second floor and apartments on the third, with a fitness center and offices in the basement.

The Montgomery Independent story below includes details about the history of the building. Two quick historical items of note - the infamous John Wilkes Booth performed on the stage and the score for the song "Dixie" was first written down there.

Project news article:  Former Montgomery Theater is being refurbished the right way

Historic building may not be salvageable after partial collapse

MGM_Theater_collapse.jpg

Older pic prior to sale

Mgm_Theater.jpg

Proposed plan would give new life, purpose to Kress building

The plans above fell through, but the Kress Building now has a buyer and renovations are in the works!  Several other buildings nearby are in the deal as well. Details in the Market District thread.

• 1 month later...

A 48 unit apartment complex is under construction adjacent to the Five Points commercial district in the Old Cloverdale neighborhood just south of downtown. The new development replaces an outbuilding on what was part of the Old Cloverdale School property. The old schoolhouse will remain intact as part of the Huntingdon College campus.

Old Cloverdale to get high-end apartments

48Midtown.jpg

48Midtown_2-7.jpg

• 1 year later...

A new downtown hotel will be under construction in August. A StayBridge Suites extended stay hotel will be built on Bibb Street where the skate park is now. The skate park will be redesigned and rebuilt at a location to be determined.

New hotel, skate park coming to downtown Montgomery

Another new downtown hotel is expected to be announced in August. This might be the official announcement of the renovation of the Bishop-Parker Building into a hotel. 

Downtown Montgomery landmark sold, set to become hotel

Montgomery gets aggressive in push for more downtown hotels

Staybridge1.jpg

Staybridge2.jpg

On July 2, 2016 at 9:07 PM, Southron said:

A new downtown hotel will be under construction in August. A StayBridge Suites extended stay hotel will be built on Bibb Street where the skate park is now. The skate park will be redesigned and rebuilt at a location to be determined.

New hotel, skate park coming to downtown Montgomery
Staybridge1.jpg

Here's the location, which is just west from the 79C development on Bibb St.

SkatePk7-4.jpg

• 1 month later...

The Montgomery-based Equal Justice Initiative will build the Memorial to Peace and Justice, a national memorial to victims of lynching in America, on Caroline Street, just off the Selma-to-Montgomery March route and just a few blocks from the Rosa Parks Museum. The Equal Justice Initiative also announced plans for a new museum to trace the history of African-Americans from slavery to mass incarceration.

National memorial to lynching victims to be built in Montgomery

YouTube videos: EJI Lynching Memorial,  EJI Museum,  Slavery to Mass Incarceration

• 3 years later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 6 months later...