Montgomery Developments

Southron

Businesses expanding near Hyundai plant

Retail managers near the Hyundai plant say it has boosted their businesses, and future expansions will likely add to the impact. Since the plant opened, two new hotels have been built at the nearby interstate exit and another is set to open in 2008.

Montgomery Advertiser: Businesses flourish near plant

Montgomery adopts mandatory SmartCode for downtown

Yesterday the city made the SmartCode mandatory for downtown. Previously, the SmartCode was optional in the downtown area. Montgomery is currently the largest city in the country to adopt the SmartCode.

There really is something to be said for progressive leadership. Other cities in Alabama need to follow Montgomery's lead and adopt the SmartCode.

Thanks to this blog for breaking the news.

Montgomery adopts mandatory SmartCode for downtown

Yesterday the city made the SmartCode mandatory for downtown. Previously, the SmartCode was optional in the downtown area. Montgomery is currently the largest city in the country to adopt the SmartCode.

There really is something to be said for progressive leadership. Other cities in Alabama need to follow Montgomery's lead and adopt the SmartCode.

Thanks to this blog for breaking the news.

Sorry, just getting used to the post. Montgomery is moving in the right direction, but the going will be slow with little wealth to propel growth of any sort. Judging by the still-large numbers of empty parking lots, the new river walk and convention center will have to attract people all by themselves

Montgomery Mall sold to Dothan firm

Dothan Acquisition LLC bought Montgomery Mall for $4.4 million from Glimcher Realty, which paid $70 million for the mall in 1998. Ouch. Venture 1 of Dothan will manage the mall.

Other than increased security on the premises, no word yet on whether any changes or improvements are in store for the property.

Montgomery Advertiser: Montgomery Mall cost $70M in 1998; just $4.4M in 2007

It is ridiculous how Glimcher Realty Trust let that mall go down the toilet literally. I visited the mall back in 1999 and thought it was a decent complimentary alternative to Eastdale. Now look at Montgomery Mall, a mess. IMO, some companies should be heavily fined for letting major centers such as this one fall destitute as Glimcher.

It is ridiculous how Glimcher Realty Trust let that mall go down the toilet literally. I visited the mall back in 1999 and thought it was a decent complimentary alternative to Eastdale. Now look at Montgomery Mall, a mess. IMO, some companies should be heavily fined for letting major centers such as this one fall destitute as Glimcher.

It's pretty obvious that those d*** yankees, having no personal investment in the area were willing to use the failure of MGM Mall for their own tax writeoff plans. Logically, this location is the perfect junction for MGMs SE edge of heavy development. While there are several wealthy areas nearby, there is obviously no draw to that mall after Parisian left. In other posts on this issue some have suggested conversion of the mall into an open air center. While not disagreeing in principal, I believe that there needs to be an established upscale and younger population adjancent to support the renewal of the area. There needs to be a sort of rebuilding as their own "village" in that area. MGM may not be strong enough yet to do that as well as renew downtown, which despartly needs additional retail to keep its repopulation going.

Additionally, I bet those Dothan folks are looking to make a quick buck in roll the Mall property over as fast a possible to some larger entity if they are not known as large scale planners and redevelopers themselves.

Edited by EXBubba

In other posts on this issue some have suggested conversion of the mall into an open air center....

Additionally, I bet those Dothan folks are looking to make a quick buck in roll the Mall property over as fast a possible to some larger entity if they are not known as large scale planners and redevelopers themselves.

Chad Emerson has a great suggestion on his blog. He notes that per capita income within 5 miles of Montgomery Mall is higher than Eastdale Mall, and suggests that the mall be redeveloped into an urban village like this one. I think that's the best use of the property by far.

The new owners successfully revitalized Porter Square Mall in Dothan (the first mall built there), so they have some experience in the business.

It's pretty obvious that those d*** yankees, having no personal investment in the area were willing to use the failure of MGM Mall for their own tax writeoff plans. Logically, this location is the perfect junction for MGMs SE edge of heavy development. While there are several wealthy areas nearby, there is obviously no draw to that mall after Parisian left. In other posts on this issue some have suggested conversion of the mall into an open air center. While not disagreeing in principal, I believe that there needs to be an established upscale and younger population adjancent to support the renewal of the area. There needs to be a sort of rebuilding as their own "village" in that area. MGM may not be strong enough yet to do that as well as renew downtown, which despartly needs additional retail to keep its repopulation going.

I believe what he says about the income levels except that they are overlapping each other. How much actual distance is there between the three major shopping centers - may 10 miles. Where I live there is about one mall every ten miles with a much denser population. Montgomery Mall's owners were caught flatfooted and some foxes got in the hen house when they failed to keep the mall up and plan for security at the same time both inside and outside of the mall. The stores themselves were not at fault and if their per square foot sales were keeping up with Eastdale, I believe that it would have stayed a viable location. Folks got to watch out for what they got or neglect or punks will ruin it for them. They tried up here and security was increased at all malls. Unfortunately, if parents won't watch their kids they will get out hand.

There is a lot of new sprawling development along US 231 in southeastern Montgomery. A surge in construction along the highway is largely due to the availability of cheap land -- lots in northern suburban areas cost four to five times as much. Developers expect commercialization of the area to continue for a long time, because there is so much land available.

Montgomery Advertiser: Growth on Troy highway

There is a lot of new sprawling development along US 231 in southeastern Montgomery. A huge surge in construction along the highway is largely due to the availability of cheap land -- lots in northern suburban areas cost four to five times as much. Developers expect commercialization of the area to continue for a long time, because there is so much land available.

Montgomery Advertiser: Growth on Troy highway

I swear, that place looks different every time I take that highway towards the beach. It's amazing. Cause, if you stay on just the interstates, you don't see much of the big growth.

Montgomery Mayor Bobby Bright produced Montgomery City Council minutes from Aug. 2, 2005, that he said supported his complaint about Wal-Mart building a new store just outside the city limits. In the minutes, a Wal-Mart representative told council members the company would not be opposed to being annexed within Montgomery.

Montgomery Advertiser: Bright claims proof for Wal-Mart gripe

Dates have been set for the upcoming Mulberry District charrette, which will facilitate development of a master plan for the area. The Mulberry District is a boutique shopping area around Mulberry Street between Carter Hill Road and I-85. Charrette dates:

May 29

Public Input Meeting

(Pre-charrette)

Huntingdon College

Flowers Hall

7:00 p.m.

June 23

Charrette 9:00-5:00

Forest Avenue School

Public Input Meeting

(Mid-charrette)

Forest Avenue School

6:30 p.m.

June 29

Charrette 9:00-5:00

Forest Avenue School

June 30

Charrette Wrap-up

Forest Avenue School

July 1

Public Presentation

Huntingdon College

Flowers Hall

2:00 p.m.

This charrette follows the ones held previously for the Cloverdale 5 Points and Cloverdale Village business districts. Source: www.historicsouthview.com.

In addition to photo updates in separate project threads, here a few other things going on downtown:

New county detention center, across the street from the existing one

Detention1.jpg

Detention2.jpg

Site of future children's museum on Commerce St

ChildMuseum.jpg

Sign of a renaissance on Dexter Ave with a popular BBQ restaurant relocating to a vacant storefront

BoomerT.jpg

One thing that worries me greatly about downtown is that it is becoming a cross between a museum and a bank. Where are the buildings full of lobbiests and lawyers. downtown should be a magnet for those types. Retail has got to be drawn downtown. Small business must be encouraged to move into those areas where they once were. Dexter Avenue was all retail until the merchants gave up as the only people who shopped downtown were the poor who used the buses to travel to and from work in east and south MGM. As for the plans, they are nice but must be completed with private funds and investment in the buildings themselves. Without the people and live/work atmosphere I don't know if this can work. Prattville I am sure is siphoning off retail as well as Millbrook (good on em) and the sales tax rate doesn't help. I just hope the hotels can make a go of it in the rinky dink civic center. I guess more bars and restaurants are the next great thing and the Baptists won't like that!

One thing that worries me greatly about downtown is that it is becoming a cross between a museum and a bank. Where are the buildings full of lobbiests and lawyers. downtown should be a magnet for those types. Retail has got to be drawn downtown. Small business must be encouraged to move into those areas where they once were. Dexter Avenue was all retail until the merchants gave up as the only people who shopped downtown were the poor who used the buses to travel to and from work in east and south MGM. As for the plans, they are nice but must be completed with private funds and investment in the buildings themselves. Without the people and live/work atmosphere I don't know if this can work. Prattville I am sure is siphoning off retail as well as Millbrook (good on em) and the sales tax rate doesn't help. I just hope the hotels can make a go of it in the rinky dink civic center. I guess more bars and restaurants are the next great thing and the Baptists won't like that!

According to city officials, plans are in the works to renovate buildings on Dexter Ave, hopefully mixed-use with ground floor retail and offices or condos above. Some facade renovations will begin this summer, funded by federal grants. There is still a retail presence on lower Dexter, with a drugstore, Chris' Hot Dogs, an alteration shop, clothing store, a bar and others, but there are still way too many empty storefronts. A parking deck is planned to serve lower Dexter as well. I'm not sure where it's going to be, but it's supposed to be built into the interior of a block I think.

Now that Court St. is reopened through Court Sq., some of those empty storefronts should be leased over the next few years. It's going to take a number of years to build a vibrant downtown, but with good leadership I think it will happen.

According to city officials, plans are in the works to renovate buildings on Dexter Ave, hopefully mixed-use with ground floor retail and offices or condos above. Some facade renovations will begin this summer, funded by federal grants. There is still a retail presence on lower Dexter, with a drugstore, Chris' Hot Dogs, an alteration shop, clothing store, a bar and others, but there are still way too many empty storefronts. A parking deck is planned to serve lower Dexter as well. I'm not sure where it's going to be, but it's supposed to be built into the interior of a block I think.

Now that Court St. is reopened through Court Sq., some of those empty storefronts should be leased over the next few years. It's going to take a number of years to build a vibrant downtown, but with good leadership I think it will happen.

Renovation - good - keep'em leased or get'em leased I say. The more downtown the better. Particularly in everyday services. This can only be good for increased traffice in day. But ya'll still gotta work on the night which is way harder in some ways, so as to get the right activities, especially for visitors.

But ya'll still gotta work on the night which is way harder in some ways, so as to get the right activities, especially for visitors.

Definitely, there's a long way to go to enliven downtown in the evenings. It'll take time, but if most of the current plans come to fruition it will happen.

Renovation is under way on the four-room house that served as birthplace and early childhood home of famed musician Nat "King" Cole. The home is being refurbished by Alabama State University, which purchased the structure and moved it near the campus in 2000. After the renovation is complete, the home will be open to the public.

Renovation of the Cole home is the first part of a three-phase master plan to beautify the ASU campus and preserve some of the history surrounding it. Phase II of the plan would convert the Rev. Ralph David Abernathy's former home (next door to the Cole house) into a visitors center, while Phase III includes building an amphitheater and small park.

Montgomery Advertiser: Restoration of Nat 'King' Cole house gets started

Cole home

NatKingCole.jpg

Abernathy home

Abernathy.jpg

The Alabama Trust for Historic Preservation and the Alabama Historical Commission have included buildings in a block of South Perry between Dexter and Washington Avenues on a list of historic buildings in danger of being demolished or deteriorating beyond repair. Preservationists fear the buildings on the west side of the street are in danger of being demolished to make way for parking decks or other development.

Landmarks Foundation Board President David Braly said these buildings are good examples of the commercial and residential mix developers want today for downtown revitalization.

Montgomery Advertiser: Historic buildings could be lost

Braly is exactly right. These are the kinds of buildings that are restored to revitalize a downtown. They are already set up for retail or office use at the ground floor and residential above. Restoration and use of these kinds of historic buildings are what generate pedestrian activity and give life to a downtown. Montgomery doesn't have enough of these type buildings left to be tearing any of them down. Surely that's not the plan.

Dover, Kohl & Partners, the planning firm that drafted the Montgomery Downtown Master Plan, will lead a charrette in late June for a new, 2,000+ acre traditional neighborhood development in East Montgomery. This would be the third TND project for Montgomery.

Source here.

The Mobile Press-Register ran a story about things for tourists to do in Montgomery. Sites mentioned include the Capitol, Alabama Shakespeare Festival, Civil Rights Memorial, Dexter Avenue-King Memorial Baptist Church & Parsonage, Rosa Parks Library and Museum, F. Scott and Zelda Fitzgerald Museum, Old Alabama Town and the Hank Williams Museum.

State Capitol showcases Shakespeare, civil rights

A private developer, Pinnacle Hunt, will take over ownership of on-base housing at Maxwell Air Force Base for the next 50 years. By September, all residents planning to remain on base must sign leases with the developer. All residents planning to leave base housing must relocate by then. Privatization will bring interior upgrades, bedroom and square footage additions, garage additions and carport enclosures. In addition, community features such as clubhouses, recreation fields, a jogging track and a dog park will also be added.

Maxwell-Gunter Dispatch: Housing privatization meetings shed light on project details

Sounds like a pretty good deal for airmen and their families who plan to live on base.

The land directly across from the Hyundai plant was sold to a Montgomery investors group, and the agricultural land will be used for grazing at least for now. The city had denied the previous owner's rezoning request because of concerns about increased traffic from developments having an effect on deliveries needed for the Hyundai plant's just-in-time manufacturing process.

Montgomery Advertiser: Land across from Hyundai sold