Montgomery Developments

Southron

Alabama State University will open a new forensic sciences building (at the corner of S. Decatur St and Carter Hill Rd) next month, and the school will offer an undergraduate chemistry degree with a concentration in forensic science. There are currently no forensic science programs offered for undergraduate students in Alabama -- Jacksonville State University offers a graduate program, and doctoral work is offered at UAB. The state forensic department will move into the building, and some of the classes will be taught by these professionals.

Montgomery Advertiser: Forensic science building in works at ASU

Alabama State University will open a new forensic sciences building (at the corner of S. Decatur St and Carter Hill Rd) next month, and the school will offer an undergraduate chemistry degree with a concentration in forensic science. There are currently no forensic science programs offered for undergraduate students in Alabama -- Jacksonville State University offers a graduate program, and doctoral work is offered at UAB. The state forensic department will move into the building, and some of the classes will be taught by these professionals.

Montgomery Advertiser: Forensic science building in works at ASU

That's very good news. I wish that the universities in the state would expand to provide more and more degrees. Some reasons that students don't graduate in this state is because they don't know what they want to do with their lives and don't see the reason in continuing education because of that. If they see more in state degrees offered, maybe they'll get interested and stay in school.

That's very good news. I wish that the universities in the state would expand to provide more and more degrees. Some reasons that students don't graduate in this state is because they don't know what they want to do with their lives and don't see the reason in continuing education because of that. If they see more in state degrees offered, maybe they'll get interested and stay in school.

I would advise anyone who doesn't know what they want to do to at least figure out what they don't want to do. Then after you've narrowed the field, figure out what you like to do and see if money can be made from it. In Europe and Australia many kids work travel for whats called a "gap year" before they go to university, even if they know what they are going to do so they can get some of that freedomitis out of their system. Alabama offers most of the usual subject matter and is competitive in the southest. Unfortunately oftentimes the only school that one ever hears of ourside of football circles is UAB (kudos to them) and their medical studies and breakthroughs. Alabama has too many small colleges and does not put enough money into all of them. With only so much to go around in state that chooses not to tax itself or its industies very much.... well you can't get blood out of stone.

The United States Basketball Association (USBA), which begins play in 2008, announced plans to place a team in Montgomery -- the Montgomery Generals. The USBA will initially include two divisions, the Appalachian and the Atlantic. The Appalachian division will include the Montgomery Generals, Birmingham Crusaders, Chattanooga Royal, Atlanta Platinum, Nashville Thunder and Asheville Mountaineers; while the Atlantic Division will include the Jacksonville Admirals, Charlotte Blue Wave, Savannah Seahawks, Macon Marauders, Augusta Raging River and Columbia Centurion.

Montgomery Advertiser: Pro basketball team coming to Montgomery?

I can sorta see the hospital, the way it looked in the 70's and 80's in that old photo if you look at the taller portion of the front bldg. minus the porch. I searched but could not find a photo of the way the hospital looked in it's heyday in the 50's, 60's and 70's.

Poonther, here are a couple of pics of the Criminal Justice Center from this July (cell phone quality, unfortunately).

CJC_1.jpg

CJC_2.jpg

Great shots Southron! Thanks very much. That's basically the way I remember the hospital looking back in the 70's but of course now the exterior is upgraded and a little nicer.

Jackson isn't that far away from central Montgomery and it's still in operation isn't it?

Finally I saw my brother and family from Troy this past weekend and they said they went to a Biscuit's game the other night and it was jam packed and a lot of fun. It was good to hear that.

Sign of a renaissance on Dexter Ave with a popular BBQ restaurant relocating to a vacant storefront

BoomerT.jpg

Boomer T's BBQ will open in the new, larger location at 51 Dexter Ave. next Tuesday. This should bring more foot traffic to lower Dexter, definitely a good thing for downtown.

Montgomery Advertiser: Business booming for Boomer T's Bar-B-Q

Eatery serves smoothies, deli items

Darian Clark and his wife, Dr. Kimberly Williams, developed a smoothie love affair while Williams attended medical school at Louisiana State University-New Orleans. But faced with few frozen fruit drink options upon arriving in the Capital City last year, the young couple decided to open their own new business, Smoothies-N-Things, 109 S. Court St., on July 19. "It's like a Smoothie King mixed with a Starbucks and an upscale deli," Clark said.

www.montgomeryadvertiser.com

I haven't read much in this forum, but is there still a lot of development going on in East Montgomery? I think there is a mall over there, that correct? Anyways, I know a developer in Columbus who is looking to open a Fuddruckers in Montgomery. He recently opened one in Columbus, and it has done very well. Is this a good area to be in?

I haven't read much in this forum, but is there still a lot of development going on in East Montgomery? I think there is a mall over there, that correct? Anyways, I know a developer in Columbus who is looking to open a Fuddruckers in Montgomery. He recently opened one in Columbus, and it has done very well. Is this a good area to be in?

Yeah, east Montgomery is still the hotbed for development. Eastdale Mall and EastChase are both in east Montgomery, and EastChase is still expanding. I don't know anything about their demographic requirements, but it would seem that east Montgomery would be a good place for a Fuddruckers.

I loathe East Montgomery. As an old timer from the region (mainly the decade of the 70's) I find that the white flight (isn't that what it truly is?) east of the Eastern Blvd has ruined the old Montgomery I grew up around. I'm talking about the mega developments off Bell, Vaughn, Taylor and now even Pike Road. Montgomery's core is beautiful IMHO and it's sad to see it abandoned like it was in the 80's and 90's. I know that Old Cloverdale has hung on quite well, but places like Court, Perry and Fairview w/their great homes were falling into decay. Has this stopped now? Is the core of Montgomery being redeveloped? If so what areas? And what areas still need help?

I know way too many people that live in the hinterlands of Far East Montgomery and while one person in the household may work in the core of MGM, the rest of the family goes to school, the doctor, works and does all of their shopping in East Montgomery never venturing west of the Eastern Blvd. I don't really think that's living in Montgomery, do you?

I loathe East Montgomery. As an old timer from the region (mainly the decade of the 70's) I find that the white flight (isn't that what it truly is?) east of the Eastern Blvd has ruined the old Montgomery I grew up around. I'm talking about the mega developments off Bell, Vaughn, Taylor and now even Pike Road. Montgomery's core is beautiful IMHO and it's sad to see it abandoned like it was in the 80's and 90's. I know that Old Cloverdale has hung on quite well, but places like Court, Perry and Fairview w/their great homes were falling into decay. Has this stopped now? Is the core of Montgomery being redeveloped? If so what areas? And what areas still need help?

I know way too many people that live in the hinterlands of Far East Montgomery and while one person in the household may work in the core of MGM, the rest of the family goes to school, the doctor, works and does all of their shopping in East Montgomery never venturing west of the Eastern Blvd. I don't really think that's living in Montgomery, do you?

You covered a lot of ground, and I agree with you, poonther. I don't spend any money east of East Blvd unless I just have to. The good news is that there is development going on inside the bypass. There are new houses and mixed-use buildings going up in Old Cloverdale. There are plans in the works to facilitate redevelopment in the Cottage Hill and Centennial Hill neighborhoods. New retail developments have gone up along Zelda Rd./Ann St., and there are other new home developments under way inside the bypass. I believe downtown revitalization will help drive redevelopment in the close-in neighborhoods over the long term. Hopefully over the next few decades some of the damage done by the interstate cut and commercial encroachment into residential areas just south of the interstate can be undone. There's a long way to go, but at least things have begun to head in the right direction over the past few years. As long as the city continues to have good leadership, I think things will continue to improve for the real Montgomery.

A 1,300-acre area of wetlands just south of the Montgomery city limits (bound by US 231 to the east and Trotman Drive to the south) will soon be a new park, the Catoma Creek Environmental Park and Learning Center. The state will turn over land to Montgomery County for the park, which will be built in phases with state and federal funds -- the first phase may cost $3-5 million. Scheduled to begin construction in 2008, the park will feature walking trails, boardwalks, ponds, a Native American artifacts restoration site, several pavilions for social gatherings, a learning center and a sheriff's substation.

Details in the article.

Montgomery Advertiser: County plans for environmental park

EnviroPark.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Old Navy will open a new 15,504 sq. ft. store in the EastChase shopping center's third phase, which should be open within six months. Other stores in the third phase development include Costco, Bed, Bath & Beyond, Circuit City, Dick's Sporting Goods, Michael's and ULTA.

No word yet on whether or not the existing Old Navy store on East Blvd. will stay open after the new store is built.

Montgomery Advertiser: Old Navy to open EastChase store

Montgomery Loft Living: Developments Nearing Completion

6970405_BG1.JPG Byron Berry

6970405_BG2.JPG

6970405_BG3.JPG Harvi Sahota & Anna Lowder

6970405_BG4.JPG

Loft living is one of the newest trend in real estate. It consists of retail space on the first floor with residential space above. For Montgomery, it's a relatively new concept. But already, two loft developments are nearing completion.

"I've always loved construction and old property," says Byron Berry, who's in the process of converting two downtown buildings into loft apartments. The buildings are located across from the old federal courthouse on Court Street. A smoothie store has already opened on the first floor.

Berry and his crew totally gutted the buildings, adding upscale amenities like quartz countertops, stainless steel appliances, and skylights. There are three apartments available, ranging from 1000 to 1700 square feet. They will be offered for lease. Prices will range between $1200/month to $2000/month.

The A&P Lofts

If more of a neighborhood feel is what you want, Anna Lowder and Harvi Sahota's Atlantic and Pacific development is also nearing completion in Montgomery's Old Cloverdale neighborhood. The buildings are new construction, but built to blend with the surrounding architecture. The development is named for the old A&P grocery store that used to sit on the site. There are 18 retail spaces and 14 residential lofts available, some of which are two stories. They range from 1000 square feet to 2700 square feet and are being offered for sale. Prices range from $210,000 to $625,000.

For more information about the Court Street Lofts, log on to www.phoenixhomes.ws

For information about the A&P Lofts, log on to www.atlanticandpacificlofts.com.

www.wsfa.com

Coliseum Renovation Meeting

Big plans are in the works to put Montgomery's Garrett Coliseum on the map. City leaders from the tri-county area, along with Legislators and artists, joined together to discuss renovation Wednesday.

Organizers hope to make Garrett Coliseum a place to attract acts and events from across the South. This project would increase the economy across Alabama and hopefully bring in new industry to Montgomery that wouldn't be possible now.

Using a new feature here at Urban Planet, I put together a map showing major downtown projects that are underway or recently completed. Let me know if something needs to be added.

Map Key:

Green = Under construction

Red = Completed

Yellow = Proposed

Blue = Owners with plans

Aqua green = Existing points of interest

Edited by Southron

^ Great new feature, Neo, thanks!

---

At a public meeting Thursday night, Montgomery library system administrators announced a plan to renovate and expand existing libraries and build new ones, including a new main library downtown. Replacing that hideous 1960s library would be a big boost for downtown.

WSFA-TV: County Library System Plans Major Changes

City looks to upgrade Cramton Bowl

By Tim Gayle

Cramton Bowl will be lit up tonight, filled with Jefferson Davis High School fans rooting on their beloved Volunteers in their season opener against Dothan High School.

But the noise, and the lights won't be able to hide the stadium's shortcomings: no luxury boxes, no posh press box, no artichoke-and-goat-cheese pizza, and certainly no club-level entertainment.

No, not much structurally has been done to Cramton Bowl since it was built in 1922, other than grandstands added to the east side 45 years ago.

In 2004, the city did drop $4.2 million on new lights, seats and a synthetic playing surface, but there's no disagreement among both public and sporting officials that the monument to yesteryear needs a new look.

Makeovers take money, though. The price tag to transform the 24,000-seat Cramton Bowl into a stadium where college games and high school post-season games could be played stands at $14 million -- a bill that Mayor Bobby Bright isn't willing for the city to foot on its own.

Bright, re-elected to a third term Tuesday, wants to split the cost with at least three partners, possibly four. The ones he has in mind -- Alabama State University, Montgomery County and the Montgomery public school system -- would all benefit from a renovated Cramton Bowl.

"If we four entities partnered -- maybe even the state, that could be five -- if the five

partners divvied up the $14 to $15 million it would take to finish the master plan, it would be a very doable project," the mayor said. "But for one entity like the city to take on a $14 million project, it's just not a priority for me."

Right now, the possible partners mentioned by Bright aren't pushing for the plan, either.

Montgomery County could finance its share by giving up money it receives from the city in sales tax from ticket sales. Lost revenue aside, county commissioners recognize the stadium needs major work -- along with other public venues such as Garrett Coliseum -- and are willing to at least talk about it, said commission Chairman Todd Strange.

"I agree Cramton Bowl does need attention," Strange said. "Garrett Coliseum needs attention, too, and I'm not opposed to some facility (renovations). I think it's worth a conversation."

The school board could donate a portion of its ticket sales from high school games. Still, it would be tough for the district to help pay the tab when it's already over budget on several new schools, said spokesman Tom Salter.

ASU isn't eager to even talk about renovating Cramton Bowl because it wants a stadium on campus.

The first time the city tried to form a partnership with ASU was four years ago. The council went so far as to hire noted stadium architect Heery International as a consultant and to consider a bond issue to fund the renovation. ASU officials didn't want to be part of the deal then because they wanted that on-campus stadium.

"When the proposed partnership died, we haven't gone anywhere with that plan." Bright said. "We've got so many other necessary projects around the city that need to be done. ... I can't prioritize it over other city needs out there like a new city jail."

When it opened, Cramton Bowl hosted both football and baseball games. Still, the stadium built its reputation on the pigskin.

Perhaps its highest profile football game was the annual Blue-Gray All-Star Classic, which pitted the best college seniors in the North and the South against each other.

The city lost the game in 2001, when sponsor Kelly Tire walked away. Game executives scoured the country in search of a new title sponsor but found the going tough with an antiquated bowl. The game moved in 2003 to a nicer Movie Gallery Memorial Stadium in Troy but couldn't draw a crowd without the population base of Montgomery.

"There's no doubt that not having the (upgraded) facility did not help us," said Charlie Anderson, past Blue-Gray president. "They're not just looking for air time, they're looking for an event to promote relations with their clients and an on-site facility worthy of their image. There's no way that's happening at Cramton Bowl."

Bright is confident that Montgomery will see the Blue-Gray Classic again if Cramton Bowl is renovated.

"If people can make this happen," the mayor said. "I will tell you the Blue-Gray game will be revived."

The work that would have to be done to Cramton Bowl ranges from updating the concourse and concession areas to building a club-level press box, a floor reserved for game promoters and sponsors. Any stadium without luxury suites would be pressed to compete for even the postseason high school finals.

One of the most costly improvements that Cramton Bowl needs is an elevator to the luxury suites. Total cost: $1 million. The city could face a lawsuit if it doesn't install an elevator to provide access for disabled fans.

Since the 1990s, Cramton Bowl has been free for the asking.

The city doesn't get rent or reimbursement for maintenance and security. To get an idea of the taxpayers' lay out, the Montgomery Police Department racked up $165,311 in overtime last season to provide security at football games and other events.

The city could start changing a gate fee -- like it did 15 years ago -- to collect money for the stadium's renovation. The fee would go away again, Bright said, as soon as the work was paid for.

For the time being, though, Bright is focused on merely forming partnerships to get the work done.

"What we need to do is for everybody to meet at the table, have a consensus and organize a concerted effort to upgrade it," said Bright.