EAKIN PARTNERS: Two Towers

MidTenn1

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it looks okay. The design is nothing special. It looks very similar to a number of other mixed-use projects going up in other cities throughout the country. But there appears to be nothing offensive here either. In fact, I like the greenish hue of the glass for that area and how the towers sit in relation to the street. There also looks to be a green roof as well.

^No need to get all huff n' puffle. I think he was just reacting to the really vague nature of your statement. It didn't explain your sentiments in a way that anyone could get a sense of. Now that you've clarified, I think we can expect the true castigation to commence. Yay!

Let's just keep the Best Tire store. It's built near the street, it's low rise, it's a real earthy tan and its activated at street level, at least when the people wander around waiting for their tires. Or popping across the street for quick lap dance.

I'll take this. This isn't first time little 2-dimensional renderings have brought out all the complaints and critiques by those who do very little to contribute to our urban fabric. We seem to have our own little council here always voicing their 'concerns.' If progress were dependent on a consensus of approval by UP, we'd still be stocking up on hay to feed the horse.

Give the guys willing to drop many millions of dollars into our city a break for a change.

This isn't first time little 2-dimensional renderings have brought out all the complaints and critiques by those who do very little to contribute to our urban fabric. We seem to have our own little council here always voicing their 'concerns.'

Give the guys willing to drop many millions of dollars into our city a break for a change.

Let's just keep the Best Tire store. It's built near the street, it's low rise, it's a real earthy tan and its activated at street level, at least when the people wander around waiting for their tires. Or popping across the street for quick lap dance.

I'll take this. This isn't first time little 2-dimensional renderings have brought out all the complaints and critiques by those who do very little to contribute to our urban fabric. We seem to have our own little council here always voicing their 'concerns.' If progress were dependent on a consensus of approval by UP, we'd still be stocking up on hay to feed the horse.

I think that we all need to remember that these are probably VERY preliminary designs. Just about every major project either built, under construction, or proposed in downtown during the last few years has undergone major changes from start finish. Adelicia, Icon, WES, Terrazzo, Sun Trust, Signature, etc. etc. So before everyone gets all defensive or critical remember that there is pretty good chance that this project will look quite a bit different by the time construction begins.....

I like what I have heard about this project thus far and think it will be a significant development in connecting music row to downtown and the gulch. I like the idea of a contemporary design and even though I'm not crazy about the rendering right now, I think that they are on the right track....

I think that we all need to remember that these are probably VERY preliminary designs. Just about every major project either built, under construction, or proposed in downtown during the last few years has undergone major changes from start finish. Adelicia, Icon, WES, Terrazzo, Sun Trust, Signature, etc. etc. So before everyone gets all defensive or critical remember that there is pretty good chance that this project will look quite a bit different by the time construction begins.....

I like what I have heard about this project thus far and think it will be a significant development in connecting music row to downtown and the gulch. I like the idea of a contemporary design and even though I'm not crazy about the rendering right now, I think that they are on the right track....

I have a difficult time drawing a hard line against some of this architecture, because (I ultimately realize that I can't change anything, at least by my words on this forum), decoration doesn't really mean anything anymore, or when decorative elements are employed a la the Schermerhorn and the Demonbreun Street Viaduct, charges of reactionary traditionalism or nostalgic classicism are leveled against the project. The image saturation bombing of postmodern society pretty much prevents any image from gaining too much traction for any lengthy period of time. But decoration doesn't necessarily depend on historical references; decorative elements can be aesthetically compelling and beautiful regardless of the current feeling or sentiment. The problem though, is that these new developments don't cut it, in any objective measurement, not even close. They don't even try to get it right. It's just sort of a glass and steel modern-cool thing that developers try to pass off as contemporary or cool; but modernism and minimalism have sort of become pass

Despite contentions to the contrary, the "preliminary"designs of these buildings do not change significantly prior to construction (show me to what great extent the designs of any of the currently under construction buildings have undergone) what we see is what we get and obviously mine and other's criticism are based on the renderings offered to the public and if the completed building turns out bawling, then great, fan-freaking-tastic. I'm not too proud to say that I was off base or even to reverse my initial opinions.

Lukin, I think those renderings of the Icon and the Adelicia represent development concepts more than architectural renderings, maybe I'm wrong. The Eakins Gulch rendering contains stylistic cues that it shares with the Round-a-Butt and the Suntrust Plaza. Anywho, that'll teach me to make sweeping generaliztions in the future.

Archived