EAKIN PARTNERS: Two Towers

MidTenn1

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Honestly I have no idea what you mean by this. Of course designs change all the time, sometimes they even change significantly. Now I don't have any pictures to show you because I don't keep that stuff on my computer, but I guarantee you can find examples somewhere on this site. Signature went a complete design change from when the first renderings were released. It doesn't even remotely look the same. The same thing happened to the adelicia. The ICON is pretty different now, the WES looks different, etc. etc. In fact, it's pretty rare for the preliminary designs of a building to end up being exactly what is constructed. I bet you'll end up seeing the Bass, Berry & Sims tower looking quite different from the first basic designs that we've all seen. The Eakin renderings released aren't supposed to be final, exact, or specific. All they are is to get people excited and interested about what is going up. Otherwise it would be more than an extremely low quality image with no detail whatsoever.

Edit:

Ok, so i did a little searching and found some examples of projects that have dramatically changed:

Here is the ICON

post-8580-1174482051_thumb.jpg

Here is the Adelicia

post-8580-1174482116_thumb.jpg

WES

post-8580-1174482283_thumb.jpg

Signature

post-8580-1174482357_thumb.jpg

I understand your frustration. I think that we do need to be critical of building proposals in Nashville. I don't think that developers should get a free pass to build whatever piece of crap they would like simply because they are willing to pay for it. A lot of what has been proposed in Nashville in the last couple years has been pretty adequate architecture - a lot is still really cool and will do amazing things for our urban core - but it still might be considered uninspiring architecture. But regarding this project, Eakin has a good reputation for the city. As you pointed out, the roundabout is a great design which really compliments the area it is in, suntrust appears to do the same thing. I guarantee that we will see a better design than this simple rendering. There is no reason to think that all of a sudden after two pretty good building designs, Eakin would throw it all away on what would arguably be their most important project yet. I think we should all just wait and see what's gonna happen...

NT, I don't think anything could be built that would satisfy your tastes. Let's face it, Nashville's current crop of "pioneer DT developers" are taking the approach that they'll put up crap (to wit: The Westin) if the city will let them. So at least I can say that this is not crap (IMO of course). It's plain and simple and will probably look rather cheap when it's erected.

EDIT: I guess the above was a bit harsh... and I took out a pointed line. Perhaps my strong reaction was really fueled by what I believe to be uninspired projects being put forth by certain prominent developers (not just in Nashville mind you). Nothing personal, even if my initial response seemed to be. I really do appreciate the insight of archi-critics who have higher standards than my own. :)

New Towner,

With my question I am not picking a fight (because I can see you have already been hurt by ATLBrain) but rather I am inquisitve as to who or what type of architecture would make you happy in the development of these new buildings and with that said would that architecture be affordable for the developer? I see lots of posts from people who do not like the buildings but do not see many that say this is what they should do. Help me with this. Thanks

• 1 month later...

This one is moving forward. Eakin (Suntrust and Roundabout Plaza) has partnered with Hensler (Adelicia), and the veteran developers are going to split the towers into two "side by side" projects. Eakin will build the office tower, while Hensler will do the condo tower.

This is from this week's NJB:

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/stori...ry1.html?page=2

The article mentions that the towers will be joined by a four-story (140 ft long) connector. Assuming that the rendering above is essentially the one they'll use... and taking the 140' length of the middle portion, then proportionally these two will be close to 300' tall.

I think this is significant that this project is moving forward with all of the other developments going on in the DT area. This will have a huge impact on the density and the skyline of DT and move it closer to the West End area. I am interested to see who the anchor for the office tower is going to be.

BTW, we cannot see the rendering if there is one because it is for subscribers only.

The NBJ article mentions that the project is expected to be completed by 2010. I would expect that they would have to break gound within the year (or close to it) to meet that expectation. Wouldn't that mean that the demo of the Best One Tire would have to be sometime in the relatively near future. I remember that they are supposedly on some type of rolling lease.

BTW--when a project is combining condos with office space does it make it easier to get going, financially speaking?

The NBJ article mentions that the project is expected to be completed by 2010. I would expect that they would have to break gound within the year (or close to it) to meet that expectation. Wouldn't that mean that the demo of the Best One Tire would have to be sometime in the relatively near future. I remember that they are supposedly on some type of rolling lease.

BTW--when a project is combining condos with office space does it make it easier to get going, financially speaking?

According to the article, the lease is up for the tire dealer in Feb '08. Also the total square footage of both buildings together is 800,000 sq ft. They are going to try and break ground by July of '08. They are trying to attract two high end restaurants in the development with other retail involved.

The office tower could be up to 20 stories and 459,000 sq ft. and the condo tower 22 stories ranging in price from $300,000 to over a million. They expect the growth to continue in Nashville as well.

I love the buildings even in their current incarnation, I'm a stickler for Euro-style modernism and its kinda snazzy. I hope the real thing would reflect the rendering however.

I still like this design, not better than the current, but I still think it has merit. Maybe we will see something like this in another tony development, like two of these back to back on his gulch property, with one of them fronting church street.

Archived