EAKIN PARTNERS: Two Towers

MidTenn1

I love the buildings even in their current incarnation, I'm a stickler for Euro-style modernism and its kinda snazzy. I hope the real thing would reflect the rendering however.

After seeing the renderings of Viridian vs. the real life Viridian, I'm glad Tony got another architectural design for Signature. The old version of Signature looks like a generic building. Not particularly bad, but not good for the tallest building to focus on.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 5 months later...

i read somewhere that some developer is leaving one project so that he can put more focus on this eakin project "laurel". I really hope this goes up too. It would be great to see the West End Summit, Rhythm and other developments on Music Row, The Eakin project with the rest of the gulch, connect to downtown with a Signature Tower, Westin, Convention Center with CC hotel, Encore, Pinnacle Tower, and Sommet Center- Home to the Predators for many more years to come!

If memory serves, I think you're referring to the "splitting up" of this project. That happened a few months back when Eakin brought Hensler in as his partner to put up the residential. Eakin's expertise is in building offices (e.g. Roundabout, Suntrust, et.al.).

• 2 months later...

Good find, franktown. I was by there this morning trying to visualize what was going to happen there. This helps a lot. Seems the cluster in that area will be quite impressive with 1201, the residential tower, Griff Plaza, ICON, Terrazzo, the somewhat nebulous Sliver rumor, Velocity, Lionstone's Triangle projects, Hilton Gardens, and yes, West End Summit. I was impressed by all the new skyline bumps visible from a hill off West End. Density rules!

Looks better than the original renderings. :w00t: Hopefully we'll be hearing more about this project very soon. Dave, you're certainly right about how incredible the Gulch/Midtown cluster will look. The projects you mentioned will quickly reshape our skyline.

Great find and a lot better than the conceptual drawings I first saw. As I stated at the forum meet, it looks as if Best One tire will be fully relocated from this site in Feb. I expect this will start soon and i would bet they already have a major tenant.

BTW, where have you been Dave.

I like this design a lot better. I suppose I am not a big fan of the duel tower on a base design (as seen in an earlier post) when it comes down to it, so this design with its more modern and sleek design with a single tower appeals to my tastes more. The other design seemed to out of step with most other structures in the city IMO, but I guess incorporation of such designs into a city's character would have to start somewhere.

On a side note the tower portion of the structure reminds me of more modern Palmer Plaza for some reason.

I'm not huge on the office tower - as it's essentially just a tall glass box - and it seems like more could be done, but I'm very happy with the lower, pedestrian area. It's also good to see that the parking is being wrapped with retail and office....again, always nice to see. I'll be interested to see when they officially bring this project out and tell/show us more.

One of the things I preferred about the original design was the brighter green glass. I liked the idea of adding a bit more color to our skyline which has a tendency to look a bit plain and sterile. Perhaps they opted for the lighter blue glass because nearby ICON utilized green glass. The glass on ICON looks quite a bit less bright in person than it did in the initial renderings.

Doesn't it look like in those renderings that there is still an outline where the second tower was in the earlier drawings? Or am I just seeing things?

Is this just altering the plans, but showing what possibly could be added later if they deem the residential market strong enough to get sales up to build the residential tower?

I would say they will at least take down the buildings for site prep. I think maybe the condo will start at a later date as there has been no sales effort what so ever for the Laurel. The office portion has a better shot at going up first due to the lack of Class A space DT. Some one even mentioned at the forum meet that the AT&T towers footprint is too small to be considered Class A space any longer.

I would hope that Eakin will be able to announce an anchor tenant soon. No I dont have any inside info, just a hunch.

I know (or learned at the last forum meet) that as part of vacating the 12th/Demonbreum site, Best One is moving their warehouse operations to Murphreesboro Road. This weekend I saw their sign where while driving up Murphreesobor/Lafayette toward downtown. There is demolition going on at an old warehouse next to the railroad truss near Trevecca Nazarine and there is a sign announcing the future home of Best One. Does anyone know anything about that project? I was a little bit surprised that Best One would actually construct a new warehouse facility rather than simply reusing that existing structure, unless it had serious problems that would be too expensive to fix. I actually thought that the old building was kind of cool with the clock facing the street and all. We'll see what the new building brings to this area, which could use some serious revitalization.

Archived