EAKIN PARTNERS: Two Towers

MidTenn1

That is good news however there seems to be a little uncertainty about the project. Im having a problem trying to figure out what they mean by saying "a commercial building of some sort". I think this project is going to take longer than a few years to develope. Hopefully it will not.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Friends,

There are at least three (and maybe four) three-story old-school brick buildings along this stretch of 17th and that would likely be demolished for whatever Kennedy Capital Group LLC builds. So I agree with Splash that some grit and charm will be lost. I did talk to a Kennedy official more than a year ago regarding what, at the time, was planned to be a condo tower (about 14 to 16 floors), with the first level devoted to retail. He seemed pleasant.

A quick scan of the Kennedy Capital websites reveals lots of bland projects in Atlanta. However, KCG does want to develop Mezzo, which looks to be a very sleek, 21st century building. But here's the catch.

Kennedy and Tivoli announced Messo two years ago. Note:

ATLANTA (October 17, 2006) - Tivoli Properties, Inc. (Tivoli) and Kennedy Capital Group, LLC will break ground in early November on Mezzo: a 20-story luxury condominium development located at the cusp of Midtown and Buckhead. The boutique condominium will include 94 homes plus approximately 3,000-square-feet of street-level retail shopping facing Peachtree Road. Slated to open in the spring of 2008, Mezzo will feature spacious one-, two-, and three-bedroom homes as well as penthouses.

Now, the KCG website notes ground will be broken for Mezzo in the fall. Two years behind schedule.

From what I can determine, Kennedy has never developed a mid- or high-rise urban tower. So, don't hold your breath on this one. Let's just hope KCG doesn't raze all those little buildings on 17th and the land sits empty -- ala the old Masonic lodge (WES) now gone from West End and replaced by a big hole. That would be terrible.

WW/ESU

Friends,

There are at least three (and maybe four) three-story old-school brick buildings along this stretch of 17th and that would likely be demolished for whatever Kennedy Capital Group LLC builds. So I agree with Splash that some grit and charm will be lost. I did talk to a Kennedy official more than a year ago regarding what, at the time, was planned to be a condo tower (about 14 to 16 floors), with the first level devoted to retail. He seemed pleasant.

A quick scan of the Kennedy Capital websites reveals lots of bland projects in Atlanta. However, KCG does want to develop Mezzo, which looks to be a very sleek, 21st century building. But here's the catch.

Kennedy and Tivoli announced Messo two years ago. Note:

ATLANTA (October 17, 2006) - Tivoli Properties, Inc. (Tivoli) and Kennedy Capital Group, LLC will break ground in early November on Mezzo: a 20-story luxury condominium development located at the cusp of Midtown and Buckhead. The boutique condominium will include 94 homes plus approximately 3,000-square-feet of street-level retail shopping facing Peachtree Road. Slated to open in the spring of 2008, Mezzo will feature spacious one-, two-, and three-bedroom homes as well as penthouses.

Now, the KCG website notes ground will be broken for Mezzo in the fall. Two years behind schedule.

From what I can determine, Kennedy has never developed a mid- or high-rise urban tower. So, don't hold your breath on this one. Let's just hope KCG doesn't raze all those little buildings on 17th and the land sits empty -- ala the old Masonic lodge (WES) now gone from West End and replaced by a big hole. That would be terrible.

WW/ESU

• 1 month later...

This one got so far off topic, it seems nobody's paying attention anymore.

Check this out:

http://www.haa.us/

Go to Projects ------> Work ----- navigate the small blocks under featured picture to 1201 Demonbreun and there ya go.

Rumor has it this will start 4h qtr. and a bank will occupy prime space.

That's all I know.

I didn't back track through all the pages of this thread, so if this isn't new, sorry. It was to me.

Wow, if this is true then it is huge news. I wonder who the bank tenant is, Regions? If so, then this hurts Signature and WES if they were looking there as well.

Also, I am a little worried because so much office space is becoming vacant, which could also be a good thing I guess. So if it is Regions, then there is vacant space in their old building, AT&T building has space due to Nissan moving to its new building in Cool Springs, I think Terrazzo has some office space, and I believe the Pinnacle Tower has some open office space even though they have two big tenants already. Plus with office space proposed with the Signature Tower, WES, and MTC then some people have a lot of work to do to fill those spaces.

Does anyone know if or think they will begin building the condo tower too?

edit: I also forgot possible office space from the Lionstone project and the developer who bought land around Broadway and Division and 17th.

I love the new design. I hope that get built, but I agree that first and foremost, I hope Siggy gets a big office tenant before any of these others do.

By the way...on the Hastings site, did you guys notice the design of the Gateway condo tower under the "Live" section? I'm guessing that was supposed to go with the baseball park? Is this still a viable condo tower, or is it dead? It's a cool design.

I think making this a mixed use business+hotel tower would be great - it is PRIME design for a W hotel, and is great walking distance (7-10 minutes) to the new MCC. Plus, W would bring the out of towners visiting people in the Gulch living at Griffin, Velocity, Icon, and Terrazzo, the ones you don't really want in your condo ;-P

Eakin really don't think outside the box in terms of design (pun intended). It looks fine IMO, but It really seems to me that with such a prime sight they should have done something more distinctive. It'll just be a challenge for them to get it off the ground so design is probably a secondary concern to them.

• 1 month later...

An article in this weeks NBJ says that this project is on indefinite hold due to the economy and the additional fact that they do not have a tenant for the office portion either. I think the only thing that will start soon is the Lionstone development, the Centennial expansion and the Vandy Children's hospital expansion.

• 1 month later...

1201 & Demonbreun is a commercial/residential development, but honestly, I do not know whether that was a preliminary step or not. However, I assume that going ahead with the zoning changes usually is a sign that the developers are confident things are heading in the right direction (I hope).

Archived