Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CLT

Why no NCAA Regionals?

6 posts in this topic

With the recent NCAA tournments happening it has me thinking. It seemed Charlotte did a great job hosting the Final Four in '94. That was 13 years ago. I think we have hosted one regional since then. Didnt we also host the Womens Final Four once, twice? Is Charlotte scheduled for a regional tournament in the future? I cant help but think the Bobcat Arena is as good as most venues. So if Charlotte is not on the books to host any future tournaments, Why?

With the recent NCAA tournments happening it has me thinking. It seemed Charlotte did a great job hosting the Final Four in '94. That was 13 years ago. I think we have hosted one regional since then. Didnt we also host the Womens Final Four once, twice? Is Charlotte scheduled for a regional tournament in the future? I cant help but think the Bobcat Arena is as good as most venues. So if Charlotte is not on the books to host any future tournaments, Why?

I think Charlotte is scheduled to get the regionals either next year or the next. Charlotte is also scheduled to get the ACC tourney in the next couple of years.

I Know the standards have changed for the Final Four which is nowadays held in dome arenas with a very large seating capacity. Also the Final Four also requires more hotel rooms within a close vicinity of the arena. I think Charlotte is a fit for the regionals though. Greensboro hosted the regionals in 1998 and the Final Four in 1974.

Minimum requirement is 30,000 seating capacity for NCAA finals. That's why Jerry Reese? proposed the multifunctional facility for baseball and to accomodate the 30,000 seating capacity for the NCAA finals, etc.