Two Lakes Project

tombarnes

Two Lakes Project

The Two Lakes project is being batted about again. I hope that something might arise out of the discussion this time. Already, however, Jackson may have gained some important insights from Andres Duany. Duany's caustic remarks may be what Jacksonians needed to hear. Until Jackson has a mayor who cares about the city, a comprehensive plan of the sort proposed here simply isn't going to happen. Many signs of progress are starting to fall in place, but Melton is too busy pretending he's at the O.K. Corral to steer development.

The Clarion Ledger

An article with more depth from the Jackson Free Press.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tom, I hope it comes together. It will be a beautiful devlopement for downtown Jackon. However, like you said, we need a mayor who knows how to run a city, how to handle urban decay, urban redevleopment and not run around playing cops and robbers.

I attended all three public sessions on the 2 lakes planning session with Mr. Duany. I was impressed and inspired with his vision and ideas - partciuarly his vision for turning the eyesore Town Creek or ditch, I should say, into a centerpiece for the city and a thing of beauty.

Jacksonions are notorious for not being able to see the forest for the trees. Very few are not aware of our shortcomings. but even fewer, it seems to me, cannot see the potential.

Melton is a bust - he wasted all that energy and following he had when elected. It appears he's an egomaniac, and a lazy one at that. It's more fun riding around all night with an entourage messing with folks than being in the office at 7:00 am doing the heavy lifting of dealing with the multitude of problems of a decaying old run down city, trying to hang on by it's fingernails.

Ultimately developers will be the ones to turn it around. Once they can see what Duany sees, things will happen. We don't need a superman, just some inspiration. That's what Duany provided a little of. Hopefully, and I feel like they will, the city will have him back for a more in depth look at the city, not just the lakes project. I sensed that he'd like very much to have a crack at downtown Jackson.

By the way, I do think a lakes project combination flood control/economic project of some sort will happen on the Pearl at some point in time. I just hope I live long enough to see it.

I would love to see what Andres Duany and his firm could do for downtown Jackson! If only Melton had the vision to see this as well. I'm afraid that Jackson will not exercise its full potential until Mr. Melton and his sideshows are gone. Perhaps the April trial will put an end to Melton and company. If he lasts through the trial without another heart murmur. As you say, Town Creek is rife with potential.

• 4 months later...

well, looks like two lakes will become one lake. I'm glad because it means it may actually happen. I was at the Duaney charrette when the proposal was made and felt then that it would be a good compromise to get it done. now it appears a may just happen:

Clarion Ledger

this is a long time pipe dream of mine from back in the very early 60's when as a kid, I was going somewhere in town with my dad and we crossed the highway 80 bridge during a particularly bad flood (not as bad as the 79 and 83 floods, but bad nonetheless. and as we crossed a huge lake had formed right at the foot of downtown. I remember wandering why they couldn't just keep the lake, even way back then. I also remember being disappointed that the reservoir was being built north of town and not in that area. I just might get to see it after all. I can't wait to "ride my pony on my boat" (Lyle Lovette).

I quite agree. The original vision was a grand one, but it has been mired in too much red tape to ever come to fruition. This is a diminished version, but a more realistic one which could provide an important cornerstone for further development. I hope we will be hearing more about this soon.

Archived