Chinatown and Leather District Projects

atlrvr

This is a new thread to discuss all new and existing projects in the Chinatown and Leather District neighborhoods.

To start with:

The new owner of the Dainty Dot wants to build a 29-story condo tower in its place, while preserving much of the facade. I would generally be for this place IF they do keep most of the existing facade, which is my favorite building in the area AND if they can some how make this look right towering over the new Chinatown park. Another source has said this will have striking architecture. Hopefully that means lots of light colord glass to make sure this doesn't seem huling and dark above the new park.

http://boston.bizjournals.com/boston/stori...tml?jst=b_ln_hl

The height is 341 feet and include 180 condos. That should help put some eyes on the street in the relatively dark, grimey corners of Essex and Kingston. Of course the neighborhood is already protesting, and I can understand about the scale, but I think it would help the area tremendously to have residents that are likely going to call the police when they see drug dealers pushing in front of thier new $1M+ homes.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My wife HATES South Street Diner....which is a shame, because I really like it. I do like how it is almost out of place there, but somehow fits in. We were renting in the Leather District for a while, but we moved out of the neighborhood when we bought, just because I thought most places were over priced for what they were. You can't beat the location though.

The neighborhood will really get a big lift from the revamped South Station with towers, and the new 2 International Place office tower. Hopefully with all the new workers coming in, they can fill up some of the retail in Lincoln Plaza that has sat vacant for almost a year now.

____

In other developments, I'm eagerly anticipating Lincoln Properties redevelopment of the former Terradyne HQ at Kneeland between Lincoln and Surface. They are supposedly going to be getting rid of that awkward grass lawn, and will be adding some retail ( I think).

• 4 months later...

The Dainty Dot tower got a boost with the historic commission recommending against it receiving landmark status, which will allow for the developer to destroy about half the facade a new tower.

On the downside, the developer has said he would consider building shorter to try and gain neighborhood approval. I'm not sure how much shorter a building adjacent to 1 Lincoln needs to be.

Then there is this genius.

David Seeley, a Leather District resident and member of the Mayor's Central Artery Completion Task Force, opposes Ron's tower and wants to see the existing building designated as a landmark.

"One reason it was not recommended was that so much of it was demolished," Seeley said yesterday. "It's very sad that because we screwed up before it now leaves this building even more vulnerable."

"If they demolish the portions they're currently slated to demolish, it would be tragic," he said. "I don't think there's anyone in the Leather District who wants to see any harm come to this building."

After no news of Parcel 24 for about 2 years, it looks like it might be moving forward.

Boston Herald Article

From the article:

The $127 million Parcel 24 project will run along a newly cleared 80-foot-wide stretch on Hudson Street from the corner of Kneeland - where it would rise 20 stories - and then taper down where Hudson meets the Pike. An agreement is expected to be signed next month, with the development team getting a 99-year lease on the land.

Of the building

Archived