New Bowling Center to Open in MAY!

fsubelch

Well a newly remodeled Capital Lanes is set to open the first week or 2 in May. We drove by last night and it seems that have a bit of work to do to make that day, but the building looks good. I can't wait, Tallahassee is in a desperate need for a new bowling center.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did it look they might make repairs or even widen the Lane (too narrow to be called a road) that leads back there? While the old facilities were good, the bumpy driveway to get back there was horrible and embarrassing to use when you had out-of-towners. The also had no real signage saying the bowling alley was back there. When I first moved to town, it took me quite awhile to figure out that is where it was located. I hope they correct that problem too.

Did it look they might make repairs or even widen the Lane (too narrow to be called a road) that leads back there? While the old facilities were good, the bumpy driveway to get back there was horrible and embarrassing to use when you had out-of-towners. The also had no real signage saying the bowling alley was back there. When I first moved to town, it took me quite awhile to figure out that is where it was located. I hope they correct that problem too.

i want the new bowling center to put a big old fashioned neon sign on capital circle with a blinking red arrow pointing to where the alley is to add some pizzaz to an otherwise bleak stretch of road.

i also don't get tally's love of keeping a screen of trees in front of stores/buildings... cities have streetscapes, there is plenty of room for trees on other areas of the property... no need for the screen that looks out of place as it tries to be natural.

i want the new bowling center to put a big old fashioned neon sign on capital circle with a blinking red arrow pointing to where the alley is to add some pizzaz to an otherwise bleak stretch of road.

i also don't get tally's love of keeping a screen of trees in front of stores/buildings... cities have streetscapes, there is plenty of room for trees on other areas of the property... no need for the screen that looks out of place as it tries to be natural.

• 3 weeks later...

Update: the opening has been pushed back to August. As for the comment about the road...its still has tore up as ever. I am only assuming here, but I am sure they will fix that road.

The huge retro neon sign would be awesome! I would love to see the trees cleared out too. Not only would it help the business, but it would really clean that stretch of road up a bit.

Thanks for the update belch! I wonder why they needed to delay the grand opening 3 months? I'd be happy w/the new bowling alley if they did at least two of the three "wishes" we have for them: new/updated road, cleared trees, or new sign big ole sign.

The two parcels of land in front of the bowling alley & the storage units are owned by a different individual than the owners of the two back parcels. Therefore, we might not get the tree clearing we all want & the bowling alley desperately needs. We can all hold out hope for some cool signage & a freshly paved trail back in there though. :rolleyes: It would be nice if the owner of the front parcels (local real estate developer) would at least do some thinning of the trees & underbrush to help out the bowling center once they do get it reopened.

• 2 weeks later...

Newest update....The new lanes will be installed starting this week. Things seem to be moving right along for the August grand opening.

I really hope the community of Tallahassee supports this bowling center. And I hope it is managed and maintained better then Seminole lanes used to be. (Seminole lanes is much nicer now then in the past)

Newest update....The new lanes will be installed starting this week. Things seem to be moving right along for the August grand opening.

I really hope the community of Tallahassee supports this bowling center. And I hope it is managed and maintained better then Seminole lanes used to be. (Seminole lanes is much nicer now then in the past)

It will take a decent/normal road and not a one-lane path to get me there. What's with that? Do the bowling people own that path? Why is it so narrow? Seems to me they actually want to deter folks w/that path.

When did Seminole bowl get new management? I quit going there about 2 years ago b/c things got so bad. Glad to hear things are better!

It will take a decent/normal road and not a one-lane path to get me there. What's with that? Do the bowling people own that path? Why is it so narrow? Seems to me they actually want to deter folks w/that path.

When did Seminole bowl get new management? I quit going there about 2 years ago b/c things got so bad. Glad to hear things are better!

Poonther, I agree. I have often felt detered by that scary, bumpy, dirty path. I drive an "urban car" I don't like to get her dirty.

fsubelch, do you own one of these bowling alleys? Just curious! You seem to have such a wealth of knowledge. These bowling centers, skating rinks, and kid's game places ought to consolidate into Supercenters, so every member of the family has something to do. These things could be really hot, and thrive off of the local population if this happened. I can think of a number of empty grocery store sites they could put them at.

First of all, I do not own or have any part of the bowling centers here in town. I am a bowler, my entire life has been all about bowling. The bowling community is a small, very close community no matter where you go. All of my information is coming from other bowlers and such. There are still many avid bowlers in this town that do not like Seminole Lanes even after the new management and remodeling. Personally, I have only been in Seminole a handful of times. All of my bowling is at Crenshaw Lanes on campus. The few times that I have bowled at Seminole, the facility has been nice, but the management is not the best. Nonetheless, the new improvements are well overdue and have added a nice touch to the center. I am very anxious to see how the new capital lanes turns out. Only a few more months and we shall see.

As for the family entertainment center, a SUPERCENTER is exactly what I am talking about. Something with a few options such as bowling, go karts, putt putt, arcade, etc would be ideal.

Hopefully the increased competition will bring the price of bowling down. We went to Seminole Bowl a while ago and I was floored at what they were asking! $7 per person per game or something similarly outrageous. I couldn't believe it! $3 shoes!

I am from upstate NY where bowling is king, bowling centers are a dime a dozen, and you can pay $5 per hour per lane unlimited. $1 shoes.

Bowling never has really been a Southern sport. We can go outside and play most of the year. :) In Alabama where I grew up, we were over an hour to the nearest bowling alley and most kids at my school had never bowled in their lives. Then when I went to grad. school in Ohio, every student it seemed had their own bowling ball and shoes which were gifts since childhood.

It would be interesting to see a map showing all the bowling alleys in America. I'm sure there would be a heavy concentration in the NE and Midwest, but probably many are being built in the South now since so many from "the land of bowling" are moving here.

• 1 month later...

Archived