RI Statewide Historic Preservation Conference

{cotuit...feel free to move this if it belongs somewhere else}

Pawtucket: what's it like?...find out at the RI Statewide Historic Preservation Conference in PAWTUCKET on Sat., April 14. The conference is a great chance to walk and talk Pawtucket all day long. Walking tours will stroll Downtown, the Exchange St historic district, and Pawtucket hydroelectric facilities past, present, and future. Bus tours will visit Pawtucket industrial sites, 20th-century landmarks, and Oak Hill. Plus there's a tour of East Prov industrial sites, but if you wanted the opportunity to visit a bonbon factory in Central Falls, that tour is SOLD OUT.

Also, there's a Pawtucket Forum (catch up on train station and trash transfer developments), a Pawtucket KleenUp, Pawtucket food from the Exchange St. Cafe, and several sessions and the closing reception at The Grant. Eltron and J are hosting a panel at The Grant on renovating old buildings as incubator spaces.

The main theme for the conference, besides Pawtucket, is "Something Old, Something Green," as we look at the exchange between historic preservation and environmental sustainability. But I just wanted to make sure that the Pawtucket Patriots out there knew that the conference is a big showcase for Pawtucket.

pawt_trolley_orange.jpg

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Would love to do West Warwick, but the grant funding for the conf prioritizes cities and towns with local historic districts. It can be done, however, as there have been conferences that team up a town with a LHD with one without. North Smithfield/Woonsocket; Hopkinton/Westerly. Block Island has a local historic district...hmm...

FYI last-minute registerers, the tours of Exchange St, Central Falls, and Industrial Pawtucket are SOLD OUT.

• 3 weeks later...
It was awesome!

Of course, I was just glad our temporary plumbing held out, but having 400 people in the building was great to say the least. Good job all around!

All of the feedback I heard was enthusiastically positive for the conference and pawtucket!

I was waiting for a chance to download my photos from the Hydro Walking Tour, but I haven't had a chance yet. The conference was great though, the opening speaker (I forget her name off the top of my head) gave a lot to think about. And the Grant was beautiful. Glad I finally got to see it.

Having been gone from the thread for awhile, doing my own building thing, I have to say discussions like these are fantastic. It is nice to see people thinking about these things, and while a conference seems to be the place where these ideas come out, and then rarely go anywhere else, I am glad that the jolt of energy I got from hearing such ideas at the conference can be similar to the jolt I get when reading discussions such as these. I only hope that city planners and architects are taking the same ideas as seriously as we are. I hope clients (cities, developers, homeowners) are learning how to ask the right questions in case their architect is not up to speed or willing to do the extra research to explore these new opportunities.

I must say, too, in reference to our panel, that it was a bit unnerving to have Brett from Puente, Clay Rock from Monohasett, and Anne and John from the Firehouse on a panel with us, and then Buff Chace, Steve Durkee and Joe Haskett (and Cotuit!) in the audience asking us questions... I must say, the tables were turned... in a great and unexpected way.

RISD had made noises over the years about having an office or a person or a program devoted to architecture in the public realm, but you need a microscope, St. Anthony, and a post-graduate degree in forensics to find anything on the risd website about these programs if they even exist.

Archived