Vertically-Challenged Poll

cowbreath

Vertically-Challenged  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Which Fayetteville development will be first to have steel rise?

• Renaissance Hotel (18-story Marriot downtown)
    • The Lofts at Underwood (9-story mixed use condo development on Dickson)
    • Bellafont (any of 2 10-story office or 2 16-story condos in North Fayetteville of Joyce Blvd.)
    • Other - any other building over 6 stories (including The Dickson, The Divinity, St. Charles Plaza, etc.)
  2. 2. Which city in Northwest Arkansas are you most interested in vertical development news?

• Springdale (~62,000)
    • Rogers (~53,000)
    • Bentonville (~34,000)
    • Fayetteville (~68,000)
  3. 3. Would you have rather seen Springdale plan to build the baseball stadium downtown and focus on its downtown development?

• Yes
    • No
    • Depends on ease of access from metro
  4. 4. Crazy question: would you support a planned city built near the airport on cheap land to house conventions and quality architecture and city planning prototypes?

• Pipedream
    • Feasible
    • What the hell?!?!
    • Need more info on "what the hell" you were thinking.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Funny, I had thought about doing something like the first question. It was a tough choice. I think either the Lofts at Underwood Plaza or one of the Bellafont towers. I certainly wouldn't vote for the Renaissance. Who knows when that will actually happen.

On the second question I have to put Fayetteville, because well I live in Fayetteville. But I like hearing about what the other NWA cities are doing as well.

On the Springdale stadium, I'd just have to see where around downtown they would have considered. But I think it would have been an interesting idea. Especially since Springdale seems to have a hard time getting it's downtown area going.

And on your last question I'd have to learn more about all of this before I can give more of an answer.

Wow, someone picked the Renaissance. Whoever it is, I wish you were right. Afraid I have my doubts though. That lot has been sitting there a long time and seems like very little has been done so far. Seems like the Lofts at Underwood Plaza and the Bellafont are on the move and more likely to have steel up.

Wow, someone picked the Renaissance. Whoever it is, I wish you were right. Afraid I have my doubts though. That lot has been sitting there a long time and seems like very little has been done so far. Seems like the Lofts at Underwood Plaza and the Bellafont are on the move and more likely to have steel up.

1. The Renaissance already has a crane and the lofts doesn't. Also, they both seem to be in about the same state based on the latest information on this board.

2. While Fayetteville does already have taller old buildings, Rogers is more likely to build taller new buildings and, of course, Pinnacle Hills is already starting to look like a much more modern skyline than anywhere else in the region and a few tall buildings would look so much nicer there.

3. All of Springdale's sports complexes, 3 major ones, are in the western part of the city far from downtown. Putting the most important sporting complex in NWA in downtown Springdale would've been such a waste. For starters downtown Springdale is hardly accessible from the rest of the metro. Also, downtown Springdale isn't even much of a downtown at all with very little if any historic buildings and nothing much in the way of restaurants or bars. The Jones Center, Rodeo, Shiloh Museum, and Arts Center of the Ozarks should be more than enough to keep downtown Springdale from dissappearing completely.

4. Building a planned city on the outskirts of Bentonville makes a lot of sense since Bentonville is actually the fastest growing city in NWA with any significant population. Bentonville will also be the last city in NWA to slow down as far as population growth is concerned. A planned city that Bentonville would follow along the lines of and eventually incorporate sounds very feasible.

I guess I'm getting better responses on the polls than I was anticipating. I realized there might be a few obvious flaws in the poll questions early on. However, due to some of the diversity of answers I guess I won't mention.

Actually I should vote, too.

On the 4th question, it was something I thought of a while ago since I seem to live in fantasy world a lot. (1) It was rooted in the fact that the airport was miles away from the metro already and rather out there in empty space. (2) Also it was rooted in our central location to the country with airport accessibility(providing professional meeting and convention facilities) and to the region (Tulsa, KC, OKC, LR, Dallas, Memphis, St. Louis, etc.). (3) With cheap land being out there possibly near the airport and (4) kind of an opportunity to build a city ground up and control development ordinances and infrastructure (like we would want in Fayetteville - too late on infrastructure), I also thought it would be interesting. It is kind of an escape from sprawl-like development in the US in which I think a lot of people are starting to favor escaping from.

With that being said, reading about Las Colinas (as mentioned by zman9810) I realized the idea was similar and I'll leave that as a reference point to the proof of concept. Also, Brasilia, Brasil, is an example of a planned city. It was the choice of the Brasil government to build their planned capital smack in the geographical center of Brasil. Originally planned to hold 100,000 it exploded to 2,000,000. Walt Disney World in Orlando is another example of someone creating a brainchild of community developments in reality. It is rather too far spread out and too far away from the airport.

As you can see, we have many examples already to learn from.

Saw something it the paper today that made me think of this poll. Also makes me wonder if some of the guys at the paper check us out sometimes. Not only was there a pic of the Lofts at Underwood Plaza that was somewhat similar to one I posted yesterday. There was a mention of which was going to be completed first, the Renaissance or the Lofts at Underwood Plaza. According to the article it should be close. Alexander said the Renaissance is roughly on the same schedule. Once again I'm really hoping, but the Lofts at Underwood Plaza haven't been sitting around a year or so like the Renaissance either.

Saw something it the paper today that made me think of this poll. Also makes me wonder if some of the guys at the paper check us out sometimes. Not only was there a pic of the Lofts at Underwood Plaza that was somewhat similar to one I posted yesterday. There was a mention of which was going to be completed first, the Renaissance or the Lofts at Underwood Plaza. According to the article it should be close. Alexander said the Renaissance is roughly on the same schedule. Once again I'm really hoping, but the Lofts at Underwood Plaza haven't been sitting around a year or so like the Renaissance either.

Actually, after thinking about it, I don't mind if the newspaper borrows some creative inspiration from us. They provide us something, and we provide them something. I'm glad if I can say stuff on here and have it heard from them to make an issue of it. Same with developers, if what I say about Lindsey makes it to his desk and he changes then I feel good about it. I'm not positive on this issue that the paper borrowed from us. I think we were all already wondering in the back of our minds when one of these projects would actually start to rise. It has been so long and drawn out that we have not hope to see things actually get done. Anyways, I figured that and just wanted to ask the question in a poll since it was already on our minds. On the other hand, if they borrow the poll results I think they are constrained to reference us. I don't think they'll do that because if they advertise our website they may lose some readers who only are interested in city and NWA development activities.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived