Green Home Builders in Charlotte

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where, especially regarding residential? Perhaps I'm being too harsh, but I'm not a big fan of the "green home" that is 2,500+ square feet. It's kind of like a hybrid engine Hummer. That being said, I fully support the use of green products and techniques in these type houses as opposed to conventional stuff.

Thanks for the help, everybody. I think he can find something via the US Green Building Council. It appears that if you can find an architect who knows about such things, they are able to locate (locally) those who know how to build the stuff. The real trouble is that if you can find a lot in a PUD, the HOAs usually won't let you do anything that looks the least bit different than the brick and EFIS that permeate the region already.

It's just a shame that a builder doesn't take this and run with it. There are lots of people who are willing to pay for sustainable homes, yet all we have here in the region are the run of the mill folks like Beazer who do nothing but litter the landscape with vinyl sided crap.

It's tough in this city to build small and high quality/green at the same time. Everyone is focused on price sq/ft, and if you go under 2000 sq/ft and build green with quality components and other pricy mats, then it pushes up the square footage price beyond what most real estate people will tell you that you will never get your money back. In other words our system rewards quantity over quality which is probably the reason why we don't see much of it in Charlotte. That and there demand doesn't really seem to be high by the people living in this city.

Archived