Church Street Station

downtowninvestor

The inside of the buildings are really nice. The only historic buildings are on Church St,and the rest were built in the 80's or 90's. The taller building (where Pearlman's offices were) can go. As well as the ballroom. Knok those babies down and build up.

Hmmmm.... seems like an awful waste.

And besides, those buildings offer a nice diversity of architectural styles.

In a town where such diversity is scarce, we need to appreciate what little we've got.

I think it would be a shame to lose them.

But I seriously doubt that we will.

I doubt anyone is going to tear any of those buildings down.

Not in the near future anyway.

Bring back Church Street Station!!!!

And Nickel Beer Night!!!! :alc: Woooo Hoooo!!!!

I miss those nights.

Now let me see... where did I put those plastic mugs.... hmmm

Oh yeah, I went by there today to check out the movie set and the doors were open to the old phineas phoggs (nickel beer). It looked like they were installing tiles on some of the interior walls/barriers and it looked like they painted some of it. So what I'm saying is, I don't think nickel beer will ever be seen again in downtown Orlando. It will be missed and the memories, foggy ones at that, will be cherished.

Edited by bulldogger

Speaking strictly for myself, I thank God you're probably the only person who feels that way.

There is no way in hell the city of Orlando will ever allow those buildings to be demolished.

I doubt they'd even let anyone drastically alter the interior, for that matter. And given the exquisite quality of the materials and workmanship that went into the interiors of those places, I doubt anyone in their right mind would even consider it anyway.

I'm fairly certain that whatever winds up going in there will be pretty much the same as what was there before, with the possible exception of the Exchange portion which wasn't built until the late 1980's. But even that would probably not change much because I'm guessing they'd want it to blend in with the rest of the property.

I thought that there wasn't much left that was historic, unless you mean historic from the 70's. The facades and the interiors were all created by Bob Snow. The bridge was built over the street because Snow couldn

Hmmmm.... seems like an awful waste.

And besides, those buildings offer a nice diversity of architectural styles.

In a town where such diversity is scarce, we need to appreciate what little we've got.

I think it would be a shame to lose them.

But I seriously doubt that we will.

I doubt anyone is going to tear any of those buildings down.

Not in the near future anyway.

Bring back Church Street Station!!!!

I agree with the sentimental and architectural value, but what investor in their right mind want to pay $40M to keep it as is? The income would not even come close to covering expenses and mortgage payments. Private ownership doesn't make sense for this property as is. Think vertical....the inside can be duplicated in the new plans.

Hopefully, it will be demolished after midnight while everyone is sleeping! :whistling:

I'm sure there are a few history buffs here who can fill in the gap but most of those stuctures are from the '20s. I say stay away from that block...plenty of other places and surface lots left.

You are correct. Some that are closer to Orange Ave. were built earlier, 1910 I think. The railroad depot was built in 1890 and is on the national register; and the Bumby hardware building (where Toojays is located) was built in 1886 by Joe Bumby, a London expat who later planted orange groves in what is now Thornton Park. (Some of those orange trees are still there...) Unfortunately the Bumby building is not on the national register, and seems unlikely to get that designation because that would require consent from the property owner.

I agree, there are still plenty of areas around downtown that are best redeveloped, and I am eager for that to happen, but IMO it would be a shame to lose this one last block of old Orlando.

That section of Church Street was the original Main and Main; it was a hub of activity for pioneer citrus farmers and frontier families due to the train depot. There are so many cool stories from those days; it really was like the wild west in a lot of ways -- cowboys drinking and brawling in the streets on Saturday nights, a Hatfields and McCoys type of family feud that went on for years between the local Mizells and Barbers, alligator wrestling in the streets, razorback hogs running loose through downtown....

One time a posse hunted down a cattle rustler in the Conway area. They dragged him back to Lake Eola, and took him out in a boat. They told him that if he could make it out of the lake without drowning, they would let him live. Then they tied a heavy ox plow to his back, pushed him overboard, and watched from the shore as he struggled. Of course a small crowd had gathered by now. Somehow he made it. As he staggered out of the water, they laughed and said they were just kidding. Then they shot him dead on the spot...

Ever since I heard that story, I never looked at Lake Eola in quite the same way!

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/orlando/0022020044.html

Went to the Improv last night...the show was great and I was pleasantly surprised just how nice it is on the inside. After the show, went next door to the lounge, which was very nice and very empty. I am not sure why it was so empty, just on the other side of 55W, people were standing in long lines to get into any of the clubs there and this lounge was empty.

It would be a real shame to lose this treasure. It looks kind of old on the outside, but it looks great on the inside. Let the developers redevelop somewhere else (like that empty lot at the corner of Orange and Pine (I think). Church street is a keeper.

If Orlando could pull off something on the scale of Horton, I wil skeet skeet in my pants.

LOL!

Orange Ave. is on its way. From North Point Place by Clay to Hughes Bath to 801 to Camden to Cornerstone to PTP to future PAC site to ORHS and SoDo. Steady stream of projects aimed at improving the streetscape over the past couple of years.

Yes it will take a lot more than that to get the job done.

Was it busy? Both times I went to the steakhouse and the lounge it was scary-empty. WHEN are we going to get a good seafood place downtown (like FishBones!?)

I read that the guy that runs Mulvaney's and the same guy that ran for mayor against Dyer is opening a seafood restaurant and pub next to the old DMAC on Magnolia. It was under construction, but haven't been by that way in a couple weeks.

Isn't Star Tower also supposed to have a seafood restaurant on the bottom floor?

I read that the guy that runs Mulvaney's and the same guy that ran for mayor against Dyer is opening a seafood restaurant and pub next to the old DMAC on Magnolia. It was under construction, but haven't been by that way in a couple weeks.

Isn't Star Tower also supposed to have a seafood restaurant on the bottom floor?

Also isn't the bridge over Church Street supposed to receive a seafood restaurant with a neon fish sign replacing the existing sign?

auction is today at 10 a.m.....nyone finds out who wins the bid please post here on the website......i sure hope kuhn gets it so he can actually do something with the property.

Front page from the sentinel online...

Orlando developer Cameron Kuhn submitted the only bid this morning for the former Church Street Station complex owned by Lou Pearlman's crumbling business empire.

I haven't read it yet... here's the link....

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/or...=orl-home-promo

Yeah, he was awarded the property with the only bid. Plans are to add an additional 10MM in upgrades to the property. I wish him the best of luck in this investment. It seems as if there is some potential given 55W, new arena, commuter rail, etc. but all seem far from completion. I am hearing that the lack of interest is mostly as a result of nobody really wanting to, for all intent and purpose "sit on the property and wait".

So much hype about Orlando being one of the best place to invest in retails & office and there is no one interested in the prime property in Orlando but Kuhn. All huge projects are going on in Downtown Orange County and most downtown orlando projects are postponed or canceled.

I am frsutarted.

$34M Is Only Bid For Church Street Station

http://www.local6.com/news/11535367/detail.html

Front page from the sentinel online...

Orlando developer Cameron Kuhn submitted the only bid this morning for the former Church Street Station complex owned by Lou Pearlman's crumbling business empire.

I haven't read it yet... here's the link....

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/or...=orl-home-promo

Kuhn said on the news all the tenants had to get out, now. The leases were not profitable, supposedly.

I am frsutarted.

I wouldn't be frustrated. Lets face it, the area, give its current condition and surroundings sucks. It's got great potential but I believe that to be the opperative word. If you had 34MM plus an additional 10MM for renovation would you really buy that propoerty?

IMO, Cameron Kuhn was the best and only person to buy the complex. Given current market conditions in the other construction sectors, he essentially has the most to gain/lose at this point, as a result of its success. Give it some time, this thing is like a snowball. Just the same as Thornton Park had to go through its growing pains so will Church St. But you must first have residence before you can have the retail center that you envision. Lets face it, even with all of the residential construction going on, completions and closings are a looong way off. A lot of people in this town have their opinion on Kuhn, but knowing him professionally and personally, I can vouch for the fact that he is no idiot. It's like Kaz said, he didn't prematurely release his 40MM bid on accident.

Edit: BTW (extremely OT) but, census just came out and Orlando was the fastest growing metro in the state. Debate the validity of the boundaries as much as you like but the numbers speak for themselves. +20%, I believe.

Edited by orlandonative

Kuhn said on the news all the tenants had to get out, now. The leases were not profitable, supposedly.

Help me understand the boundaries of what Kuhn just bought? Does this include the buildings that all the bars are in, too? (latitudes, etc)???

I've never understood "what is church street station" and what's not.

So much hype about Orlando being one of the best place to invest in retails & office and there is no one interested in the prime property in Orlando but Kuhn. All huge projects are going on in Downtown Orange County and most downtown orlando projects are postponed or canceled.

I am frsutarted.

Overreact much? :unsure: Considering how many proposals downtown gets, it's only natural that a lot of them don't make it. You can't just ignore the ones that do in your rush to be Mr. Negative. Besides, what huge project is currently being built in "Downtown Orange County?" Did I miss something? Because that's where I live.