Church Street Station

downtowninvestor

• 2 weeks later...

^^

Ceviche has healthy traffic. so does Brick and Fire and Hamburger Mary's. Not sure about Cheyenne and Dessert Lady. But I think the owners of DL and B&F are the same. I know they aren't fond of the situation. not sure about Bliss and their situation. I do know that some of them aren't too thrilled at the prospects of the Mako's people always being able to block off Church at Garland in the evenings. I think that pisses them off more than 55W delays.

just like with owners at PTP. Some see it as the glass being half full, and others don't.

bf and dl are not the same owners...if that was the case i'd prob never go to dl...b/c bf sucks (check out my review in the coffee house;) )

anywho...have you guys heard of the formerly club paris formerly club dolce now is "LOVE" ??? i saw a flyer for an event there this thursday (some dj's first appearance in florida or something)

i couldnt even find a website for this new 'club' ... i think its going to become another "fail" i think that space needs to turn into a big box restaurant like cheesecake factory or bjs brewhouse or one of those that seem unbelievable always busy in wpv or altamonte

bf and dl are not the same owners...if that was the case i'd prob never go to dl...b/c bf sucks (check out my review in the coffee house;) )

anywho...have you guys heard of the formerly club paris formerly club dolce now is "LOVE" ??? i saw a flyer for an event there this thursday (some dj's first appearance in florida or something)

i couldnt even find a website for this new 'club' ... i think its going to become another "fail" i think that space needs to turn into a big box restaurant like cheesecake factory or bjs brewhouse or one of those that seem unbelievable always busy in wpv or altamonte

gosh, I hope that space can succeed. but, odds are, until the %%W hotel and/or Hilton opens up and produces foot traffic, I don't see it happening unless they get a promoter that markets the space heavy.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, the circumstances surrounding CSS are really a shame. It seems that place keeps getting dealt the worst hands. I've taken a few strolls down to that end of DT on the weekends and it is pretty much a ghost town past Antigua. Hopefully it can weather the storm until the Events Center is finished. And if the Hilton goes through then I think CSS's future will be fairly secure, maybe not the most booming, but secure.

The money has already been put into the place so I think it would be a good investment for anyone willing to deal with minimal return for the first year or two. I mean it's basically turn key. The right mix just has to be found, just bring back the Improv for crying out loud.

Whoever owns the place should offer space at whatever bare minimum rent they can afford to charge on a short term basis just to get businesses & activity in there & let those businesses have a chance to make a go of it. Then when the events center opens & traffic starts to pick up, they can rengotiate & start charging more realistic rent to the tenants who would by then, hopefully be in a position to afford it. Even if the CSS owners had to operate at a small loss by charging cheap rent, at least the loss wouldn't be as much as with the place sitting empty. On the other hand, if they try to charge top dollar rent for space in a deserted complex, the place will continue to sit empty & whatever businesses do try to start up will likely fail.

Edited by JFW657

^^

well, one of the reasons they may not be doing well is b/c the Mako's people set up a stage under the skywalk at 55W for Halloween, kind of blocking off the rest of Church St. granted, it was only one event, but, the stage should've been set up either at Garland or made to foster better access to the rest of the corridor.

Hamburger Mary's was on fire (no pun intended) on Halloween; Ceviche had people there; Rustic was fairly empty; but Halloween is a mixed bag; people go home and take the kids out, etc...; it's a bad barometer for a Friday night.

^^

well, one of the reasons they may not be doing well is b/c the Mako's people set up a stage under the skywalk at 55W for Halloween, kind of blocking off the rest of Church St. granted, it was only one event, but, the stage should've been set up either at Garland or made to foster better access to the rest of the corridor.

Hamburger Mary's was on fire (no pun intended) on Halloween; Ceviche had people there; Rustic was fairly empty; but Halloween is a mixed bag; people go home and take the kids out, etc...; it's a bad barometer for a Friday night.

ya i went to rustic on friday the week prior to halloween and it wasn't super busy...it was good though, i think people just need to know about the restaurant...

^^

Mary's and Cheyenne seem to be willing to do whatever it takes to keep folks aware they are there and awaiting their visit (it's easy to forget that's what Bob Snow did from the very beginning at Church St. Station when Rosie's was a lonely outpost in a dying 1970's downtown - when he left for Vegas, the Baltimore utility that bought it never quite grasped the need for constant promotion). The Dessert Lady, Brick and Fire, and the others have not followed suit and are performing poorly as a result. Perhaps those types of spots don't lend themselves as much to promotion, but it's going to be a long wait for spillover traffic to save them.

Edited by spenser1058

• 4 months later...

^^

Well... all I can say is wait for the Events Center to open. Once that happens, there will be 40+ nights per year of huge NBA crowds flooding CSS and Orange Ave pre and post game. Talk about an economic engine.

Also, if the Sunrail comes through, the old Depot will be a transit nexus for a lot of people multiple times/day.

Also, the PTP cinema is going thru its buildout with the new plan. CSS will have the traffic spillover from there as well. wouldn't be surprised if many patrons parked inside the Suntrust garage as well as PTP for those showings.

^^

Well... all I can say is wait for the Events Center to open. Once that happens, there will be 40+ nights per year of huge NBA crowds flooding CSS and Orange Ave pre and post game. Talk about an economic engine.

Hmm, I am not so sure.

I am more than willing to be proven wrong but if I had to bet I would wager that a significant majority of fans, though in larger numbers, will do just what they do now, eat and drink at all of the new cafes and vendors inside the Center and/or in their club/mezzanine seating or luxury suites

There will be a spill over effect. The restaurant in the events center could only service a handful of people a night. If the average attendence is 15,000 a game, a restaraunt and other options on site would get maybe 5,000 people. That is just my guess.