Church Street Station

downtowninvestor

A half-dozen new eateries, shops debuting in downtown Orlando

Read more: A half-dozen new eateries, shops debuting in downtown Orlando - Orlando Business Journal

"The Rusty Spoon" is a new one I hadn't heard of before. According to that article, they signed a lease in 55 West about a week or two ago. Supposed to be a gastropub, which sounds awesome. Glad it's not Yet Another Night Club.

"The Rusty Spoon" is a new one I hadn't heard of before. According to that article, they signed a lease in 55 West about a week or two ago. Supposed to be a gastropub, which sounds awesome. Glad it's not Yet Another Night Club.

Oh man, a Salad Fingers reference! This place better be good.

Edited by uncreativeusername

I think the most important shift in the retail/restaurant status of Church Street is that these new businesses moving in are starkly different from the glory days of Church Street that catered to the tourism clientèle. Amway ticket holders and downtown dwellers are a decidedly local crowd. I think that is factoring into the types of businesses that are moving in, and I see it as a sign of success. I also see it as the natural maturing of downtown; thriving local businesses often lead to what we all seem to desire as a part of the evolution of downtown Orlando, chains and tourists. Tourists will only come downtown if it has something to offer that the rest of the city does not -- independently owned restaurants and retail (Thornton Park, Church Street, Orange), sophisticated entertainment alternatives (Amway, DPAC, Mad Cow), and a unique culture that grows around it.

If House of Blues is indeed considering closing up shop at Downtown Disney in preparation for a downtown move, it has to be viewed as a part of that slow evolution.

Edited by prahaboheme

An article to look out for next week......

Amway Center opening already boosting downtown business

Church Street merchants were all abuzz this past weekend when w.gifAmway Center’s grand opening brought nearly 50,000 people downtown.

Read more: Amway Center opening already boosting downtown business - Orlando Business Journal

Edited by DeepEyez

Went before the game yesterday. Pretty cool. Just sampled the food (they were passing it out) it was ok. It will do very well in that location. It doesn't actually open until Saturday. Just soft opening.

oh man i wish i knew! it probably would have been better than the jernigan's food ...well for the price at least!!!

Has anyone been into Mojos? If so, how is the ambiance and menu?

Went there last night.

Likes: great ambiance on church street, great live blues music, food portions were large, relatively cheap drinks and food, fun watching waves of people leaving the arena

Needs Improvement: food was decent at best. Ordered the crawfish poboy and although large, there were more bread then actual crawfish. I dont think Crooked Bayou has anything to worry about, yet. Wish the balconies across Mojo had people up there to make it more lively.

Overall, I def. will go back again because of the live music. The sound and architecture of Church St there almost made it feels like Orleans.

Has anyone taken any pictures of the Church Street crowds?

While I'm not surprised by this, I'm still a bit amazed that the intended effect of the arena at this location has happened successfully in such a short amount of time. Arenas have often been used as a "revitalization" tool for cities, and the results vary greatly. Orlando's is a first rate success story.

The owners of Church Street businesses must be in a temporary state of shock over all this new business.

Has anyone taken any pictures of the Church Street crowds?

While I'm not surprised by this, I'm still a bit amazed that the intended effect of the arena at this location has happened successfully in such a short amount of time. Arenas have often been used as a "revitalization" tool for cities, and the results vary greatly. Orlando's is a first rate success story.

The owners of Church Street businesses must be in a temporary state of shock over all this new business.

Agreed. What it seems to indicate is a confirmation of the decision to build close enough for pedestrian access to the rest of downtown. This is going to be fascinating to watch- it will be even more amazing when DPAC is added to the mix on the other side of Orange.

Agreed. What it seems to indicate is a confirmation of the decision to build close enough for pedestrian access to the rest of downtown. This is going to be fascinating to watch- it will be even more amazing when DPAC is added to the mix on the other side of Orange.

I hope future developers throughout Florida and key decision-makers over at the HOB are playing close attention because Church Street and the surrounding area is poised to become Orlando's premier cultural epicenter. Hopefully this will help fill up the empty lots in downtown as people vie to move closer toward the action. I'd love to see a Time Warner Center/Sony Center-type project in downtown......

I wonder if that empty parking lot next to the fire station downtown can be bought and developed into a mixed-use high-rise. If anybody knows, please do tell.

I can't imagine HOB would setup shop in Parramore. Other urban locations, such as Lansdowne in Boston and the French Quarter in New Orleans, are in well established entertainment districts. I think it's much more likely HOB would look for locations around Church Street/Orange, not only for the foot traffic but the ambiance. Obviously a Church Street Station location would fit into their image perfectly.

Is the Cheyenne Salon space large enough to satisfy the needs of HOB? That seems like a natural location for one. Otherwise I could see them taking up space somewhere around Wall Street/Heritage Square area.

I heard a rumor from an untrustworthy source some years ago about HoB looking at Becham Theater, but that was unsubstantiated and most likely hearsay. (which I just propagated, d'oh)