Church Street Station

downtowninvestor

I'll tell you right now what by far is the biggest problem. Its really 90% of the problem. Its paying to park. This isn't NYC, Boston, of D.C. People in Florida don't want to pay to park. For an event like a Magic game or concert at the Amway, yeah they will. But just going out to dinner on the weekend or even worse a weeknight isn't happening. If no one has noticed every corner in this city and surrounding areas has either a Applebee's, TGI Friday's, Longhorn Steakhouse or whatever there. Plus the parking is over priced at that. Yeah, I guess $1.00 an hour under I-4 isn't bad, but thats more trouble than its worth. I bet more people would come if there was a flat $3.00 or even $5.00 fee to park instead of the $1.00/hr even if they're staying for only a couple of hours. The 55West garage is in a great location, but $2.00 an hour is bullsh*t. I live there and if my gf wants to spend the night we have to leave one of our cars somewhere because the parking ends up being like $30. And god forbid they could do some kind of validation system at the church st. businesses for parking here too.

If you're part of the "lets go to the club and get drunk" crowd, yeah that parking situation is no problem. But if the city wants families and the business they bring in the retail area to downtown the parking is the main hold up.

To be fair, there is a $6 parking rate for "Diner's Parking". At least there is according to the DDB's website: http://downtownorlando.com/getting-around/parking, or the City of Orlando's Transportation Page: http://www.cityoforlando.net/transportation/Parking/garages/garage_options.htm

I agree, the parking situation in 55W is terrible for guests. I also live in 55W and I have the same problem .. I just give my girlfriend cash and forget about it, but it is very expensive. Overnight is the worst. They don't charge you more than $15 per day, but if she stays over, that $15 cap is hit on the first day and the second day by like 8AM. That's more of a 55 West problem though. The Vue, for example, has some guest parking for guests of residents. I am aware of no such mechanism in 55 West, and it is very irritating.

f674410c.jpg

Excited about this! Finally, some good beer in downtown Orlando. I went to the playoff game tonight (AGH ANGER SDFKLJSDFKJSD) and saw that Draft has opened up west of I-4, which is supposed to have a good selection. I was late for the game so I didn't have time to drop in and check it out.

I'll tell you right now what by far is the biggest problem. Its really 90% of the problem. Its paying to park. This isn't NYC, Boston, of D.C. People in Florida don't want to pay to park. For an event like a Magic game or concert at the Amway, yeah they will. But just going out to dinner on the weekend or even worse a weeknight isn't happening. If no one has noticed every corner in this city and surrounding areas has either a Applebee's, TGI Friday's, Longhorn Steakhouse or whatever there. Plus the parking is over priced at that. Yeah, I guess $1.00 an hour under I-4 isn't bad, but thats more trouble than its worth. I bet more people would come if there was a flat $3.00 or even $5.00 fee to park instead of the $1.00/hr even if they're staying for only a couple of hours. The 55West garage is in a great location, but $2.00 an hour is bullsh*t. I live there and if my gf wants to spend the night we have to leave one of our cars somewhere because the parking ends up being like $30. And god forbid they could do some kind of validation system at the church st. businesses for parking here too.

If you're part of the "lets go to the club and get drunk" crowd, yeah that parking situation is no problem. But if the city wants families and the business they bring in the retail area to downtown the parking is the main hold up.

Drive a few blocks out of Church/Orange, and you will find plenty of on street parking free of charge. Granted, you will have to walk a few blocks -- isnt that the reason you are downtown?

Drive a few blocks out of Church/Orange, and you will find plenty of on street parking free of charge. Granted, you will have to walk a few blocks -- isnt that the reason you are downtown?

Not everyone that goes to downtown are as urban minded as most of us on here, especially females walking in high heels. Additionally the summer heat/humidity can make just getting to your car brutal. I am still puzzled and upset as to why the city does not allow parking on central blvd from 2am-8am at certain locations.

To be fair, there is a $6 parking rate for "Diner's Parking". At least there is according to the DDB's website: http://downtownorlan...-around/parking, or the City of Orlando's Transportation Page: http://www.cityoforl...age_options.htm

too complicated

I agree, the parking situation in 55W is terrible for guests. I also live in 55W and I have the same problem .. I just give my girlfriend cash and forget about it, but it is very expensive. Overnight is the worst. They don't charge you more than $15 per day, but if she stays over, that $15 cap is hit on the first day and the second day by like 8AM. That's more of a 55 West problem though. The Vue, for example, has some guest parking for guests of residents. I am aware of no such mechanism in 55 West, and it is very irritating.

I asked about the guest parking when I moved in. They said no dice.

Excited about this! Finally, some good beer in downtown Orlando. I went to the playoff game tonight (AGH ANGER SDFKLJSDFKJSD) and saw that Draft has opened up west of I-4, which is supposed to have a good selection. I was late for the game so I didn't have time to drop in and check it out.

Yes! They have a ton of stuff and I thought it was very nice. I was there in the afternoon for lunch last weekend and just got a hamburger. All the food is pricey (expected) but for a $10 burger it was not very good.

Yes! They have a ton of stuff and I thought it was very nice. I was there in the afternoon for lunch last weekend and just got a hamburger. All the food is pricey (expected) but for a $10 burger it was not very good.

Now if the Lymmo got expanded to Thornton Park, you could park your car somewhere in the core, get a burger at Graffiti Junktion, take the Lymmo over to Draft and continue drinking from a better selection of beer.

I did my best not to bring up the concept of a train. :whistling:

And I think the no parking after 2am on Central has to do with street cleaning. Same thing goes for some of the surrounding streets at that time.

Edited by bulldogger

I had an office on Magnolia years ago (over a decade) and worked through the night. My car went beyond getting a ticket; it was towed away, so that the street could be cleaned. I came down to go home just after dawn and my car was gone. They will ticket you now and just clean around a parked car.

• 2 months later...

Every first Saturday of the month (show 12pm - 5pm) there is a car show on Church Street Between Amway Center and Orange Ave.

While the first two events have had ok crowd attendance, there are quite a lot of car enthusiasts that show. When it's not so hot out I think this will draw a good crowd, not to mention it's one more person out there during the day on a saturday than normal. If anything the car show'ers are patronizing the downtown restaurants...especially when winners receive $50 gift cards to local restaurants / bars.

http://churchstreetdistrict.com/carshow.html

June

270121_119008224855704_100002395811746_149937_2640654_n.jpg

263404_119008568189003_100002395811746_149942_6112393_n.jpg

264461_119009141522279_100002395811746_149953_4606324_n.jpg

July

268455_119007611522432_100002395811746_149924_5314906_n.jpg

1st place best exterior!

269636_10150235578884360_70011494359_6893223_6687155_n.jpg

Edited by surina777

• 1 year later...

OK, because Downtown Steve said to, here's the Church Street Station thread so that we shan't wander  :offtopic: . In any event, some significant news from OBJ:

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/blog/2012/12/church-street-lands-new-craft.html

Much as I love praha's idea of retail here, the article suggests a major restaurant chain may be getting the bottom floor of the Exchange (alternatively, the usual suspects foodwise) and that the upper floors are likely to go office. Oh well, it was a lovely dream. 

It seems like everything open in downtown Orlando is beer related...very one dimensional...

Milwaukee and St. Louis ain't what they used to be, maybe this is the exciting new industry for us. "The Beer That Made O-town Famous?" "'Tis A Privilege To Beer Bong in Central Florida?" Oh well, the fraternities will love us even if we'll never make it in Chain Store Age. *sigh*

Beer is not what it used to be. A lot more high end and is comparable to wine now. I personally do not drink wine but have never had a beer bong. But there are a lot of beercentric establishments. 

Agreed. I was being facetious but we do have some very capable brewmasters around town - Ron Raike over at Cask and Larder, for example,  is doing some amazing things.

I haven't done the beer bong since college but it was fun too!

Edited by spenser1058

I am most curious to see what becomes of the Cheyenne Saloon space.  According to the article, 3 entertainment concepts are being considered.  Rumor had it that House of Blues would end their lease at Disney and were scouting out downtown locations.  That was several years ago, though.  Also, Cheyenne Saloon is much too small a space. 

There were also rumors swirling about a downtown location for an Ale House.

Swung by Eternal Tap for a drink this evening to check it out. Beautiful place (had never been inside before). Good beer selection and whiskey bar downstairs. Staff was friendly and eager to talk about what they are doing there. They have a challenge in getting people to venture off of Church down the tracks to their shop. Try and swing by and spread the word. Too much of the amazing older storespace has been a secret for too long

• 1 month later...

I had no idea Eternal Tap had opened and I live like 100 feet away from it. 

I will definitely be checking this place out! Maybe tonight. Maybe.

Eternal Tap has fantastic atmosphere. Really like that space.

Any more news about the proposed bowling alley at the Exchange?