Church Street Station

downtowninvestor

The Boston Market was in the very first days of the Church Street Market and was tucked away in a passageway that led back to the SunTrust tower on the ground floor (which was probably another reason it didn't last very long.) The Olive Garden Express had a separate access from the actual Olive Garden that stretched over Church St. - it was just to the south of the restaurant (2nd floor).

The Boston Market was in the very first days of the Church Street Market and was tucked away in a passageway that led back to the SunTrust tower on the ground floor (which was probably another reason it didn't last very long.) The Olive Garden Express had a separate access from the actual Olive Garden that stretched over Church St. - it was just to the south of the restaurant (2nd floor).

There was a Jungle Jim's up there too.

• Like 1

I was thinking about this today, specifically the 55W residents. I wonder how often the 20somethings in perfect shape find themselves splurging 1200 calories on a hamburger? Probably not often. I doubt the people living in 55W went there very often. Hell, I live in 55 West, I'm carrying an extra 50lb and even I can't stomach that kind of food on a regular basis. Once every 2-3 months, maybe? I think I probably went there less than 10 times in the 2 years they were there.

This. I've lived here 5 months and only went twice.  And that second time was solely because I saw it was about to close and felt compelled to.  

And it's not like I'm lacking for burger options.  Harry Buffalo, Hamburger Mary's and Piper's all serve sit-downish burgers within the block.  And a little farther up Orange, and there's Pine 22 and Beth's.  And Beth's is the exact same as Five Guys, but local....

However, it's partially that I think 5 guys is overrated and overpriced.  I mean, for some forsaken reason, I'm addictied to the junk that is Taco Bell.  If they were to ever move in there, my 25 additional lbs would become 50 and there'd be no chance at losing it ever again.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The owner of Ferg's at the train depot on Church Street wants to add shipping containers that look like trains for restrooms, kitchen and storage. Wrote up a post on Bungalower.com Feel free to comment on the story with your thoughts.

My jaw is on the floor. To say that I hate this is the understatement of the year. And the city is recommending approval?? Are we that desperate for a sports bar, even of their reputation? The last thing that the City of Orlando needs is something else "fake"...we already have to deal with that stigma enough!!!

Edited by Pete C

My jaw is on the floor. To say that I hate this is the understatement of the year. And the city is recommending approval?? Are we that desperate for a sports bar, even of their reputation? The last thing that the City of Orlando needs is something else "fake"...we already have to deal with that enough!!!

This!  Wow, such a bad idea.  They shouldn't have leased the space if it couldn't function for their purposes in its present configuration.  I wish an entity like SunRail would locate their offices there.  It's an important piece of our history that we shouldn't allow to be coopted by such a tacky scheme.

The owner of Ferg's at the train depot on Church Street wants to add shipping containers that look like trains for restrooms, kitchen and storage. Wrote up a post on Bungalower.com Feel free to comment on the story with your thoughts.

Oy. Not good. Creates an incredible blight on a beautiful building. Hope the Historic Board swats this down.

That being said, I am intrigued by the idea of making use of the outdoor space. I'd almost prefer to see what something would look like without the fake train cars.

Here's an idea, how about getting actual railroad cars and convert them to bathrooms and kitchens? You could maybe even find a railcar with a kitchen already in it!

http://www.sterlingrail.com/classifieds/classified.php?id=9367

Either way Ferg's is doing a great things filling that building and making an effort not to convert the original interior.

The thing is, cool things have been done with shipping containers in urban settings from housing to retail to restaurants. This is just not one of them. One trip to the internet provides several examples of more inspiring usage of shipping containers than slapping an image of a train on the side surrounded by white space.

One of the disquieting things in the otherwise good news about the Orlando Ballet is that the professional dancers are going to rehearse at The Exchange (they require a good bit of space, I'm told). This suggests yet another delay in the prime empty retail space downtown. *sigh*

Meanwhile, Greenville, SC (2011 population slightly over 60K), has a Brooks Brothers opening downtown this week. Meanwhile, we anxiously await our next 7-Eleven!

Here's an idea, how about getting actual railroad cars and convert them to bathrooms and kitchens? You could maybe even find a railcar with a kitchen already in it!

Or better yet, they should've just kept the train we had there for 40 some years.

At least the containers will be sitting back where they won't be highly visible.

Might not be too bad.

• Like 1

Meanwhile, Greenville, SC (2011 population slightly over 60K), has a Brooks Brothers opening downtown this week. Meanwhile, we anxiously await our next 7-Eleven!

Of course, their downtown probably doesn't have Park Ave., Longwood, Altamonte Springs, I-Drive, Millenia Mall, Disney etec., etc. to compete with for high end retail, either.

Some day....

One of the disquieting things in the otherwise good news about the Orlando Ballet is that the professional dancers are going to rehearse at The Exchange (they require a good bit of space, I'm told). This suggests yet another delay in the prime empty retail space downtown. *sigh*

Also, we have an urban downtown full-service grocery store.  Most cities of our size would kill for that.