Church Street Station

downtowninvestor

^^ Looks like Maitland for gamers. Once the Exchange is full, existing space around UCF and downtown, hopefully. My point is if there is no space to move into at the Creative Village, creative villages will spring up where there is space and creative people leaving the planned community in the dust. Like it is now.

The quirky bit is that it was thought of at a time of forward thinking, forecasting the need rather well. But without even the street grid and utilities realignments started, it will end up chasing the market. IMHO. Like to think I'm wrong.

Edited by Boomer136

I've long thought the Creative Village was more PR to get the new arena built than anything else when no one wanted to hand a penny to Rich DeVos. Grand urban projects of that sort rarely amount to anything (it reminded me of the MetroCenter project in Nashville which laid fallow for decades). IMHO, this is preferable anyway - downtown grows organically from the core rather than in an ersatz fashion.

As praha notes, the game changer here will be if UCF decides to go all in on a downtown campus. If that happens, we're golden.

• Like 4

Interesting quote from the news piece: "Technology is now Central Florida's second-largest industry." 

From what I've heard, UCF and Valencia would be Creative Village's major anchors, with thousands of square feet of buildings.  Add to that all the associated dorms, apartments, stores, and restaurants just for students and staff.  If they can get the ball rolling on CV, it should go up pretty quickly.  

A good example of a planned downtown neighborhood working is Encore in Tampa, which has a lot of similarities: under-served, traditionally African American community; master-planned development; and a mix of market-rate and affordable housing.

• Like 1

It would be great if they could integrate into the CBD but I understand that it would not work out. CV is probably the easiest option. Too bad they do not pay taxes. 

We need the County to move out of their building into something bigger (i think they are crammed into that building) and let UCF take over. 

For the rents that are charged in the UCF area (5-600 per person in a 4/4) it seems like they could design student housing anywhere in the downtown area and still earn market rates per sq ft**

** I know nothing about this topic

Edited by Jernigan

• 3 weeks later...

So Ferg's is really going to happen?  And really sticking with the trains painted on boxes thing?  I'm all for opening more bar/restaurants on Church street and happy to hear they are preserving the historic building, but I'm still puzzled by the tacky train paintings...

Yes...expect construction soon... http://bungalower.com/2014/07/photo-tour-fergs-depot-open-church-street-train-depot-fall/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That was here in UP and on OMJ months ago. Just sayin'.    Haunted location.. Just sayin'.

In all seriousness, I have a friend who will not go in the building where the Jager Haus is now (it's been like 20 things in the last 20 years) because he is FIRMLY convinced it's possessed.  He won't even walk down that side of the street if he can avoid it.

He's just that freaked out by that building.

• 5 months later...

There's been a lot going on lately. They've been working on the side of Fergs for a couple weeks now. Graffiti Junction looks like it's about done and I could see it opening within the next month or so. Title Boxing Club also has their signage up but I'm not sure if they're open yet. Now we need to fill the old Urban Flats space (flagship red lobster?)