Church Street Station

downtowninvestor

Where would you build the hotel on church St? I am pretty sure that Mr. Kuhn would not be allowed to knock down any of the existing buildings due to their historical significance...

Neither the ballroom on the south side of Church St. nor the old Exchange on the north side of the street are historical. As I recall, Bob Snow had plans originally to eventually build a hotel back where the ballroom is before he sold the property for his ill-fated move to Las Vegas.

Neither the ballroom on the south side of Church St. nor the old Exchange on the north side of the street are historical. As I recall, Bob Snow had plans originally to eventually build a hotel back where the ballroom is before he sold the property for his ill-fated move to Las Vegas.

I used to have an old black and white concept rendering of that somewhere.

From what I recall, it was a basic square building about 6 to 8 stories, maybe 10.... 1890's French Quarter looking w/balconies & wrought iron etc..

Typical of the rest of Church Street Station.

He had also planned, from what I heard, to aquire more train cars, maybe another track and have two trains side by side used for luxury hotel rooms. The pic showed some type of enclosed connector area between the trains and the building.

If anyone has a copy of that, please post it.

Edited by JFW657

I used to have an old black and white concept rendering of that somewhere.

From what I recall, it was a basic square building about 6 to 8 stories, maybe 10.... 1890's French Quarter looking w/balconies & wrought iron etc..

Typical of the rest of Church Street Station.

He had also planned, from what I heard, to aquire more train cars, maybe another track and have two trains side by side used for luxury hotel rooms. The pic showed some type of enclosed connector area between the trains and the building.

If anyone has a copy of that, please post it.

Here it is. To the left is South. The parking lots in front became Church Street Market:

SAVE0015.jpg

You should be Baker Acted. That belongs on 192 in Kissimmee, right next to a neon teal T-shirt shop and Shell Kingdom. :P (jk)

All kidding aside, I couldn't disagree with you or agree with him more.

If that had been built as shown in the rendering, with that six floor balconied section where the Bumby Arcade is now and that large 19th century style hotel on the back side, it would've created a really cool Victorian area atmosphere there on that block.

Something that I for one, and many others I'm sure would've found very appealing.

Too late now, though. I doubt they'll be demo-ing that waste of space that wound up back there.

I want my Church Street shopping mall.

I was just in San Diego. We really need something Horton Plaza-esque. It was so easy to walk up to and the parking structure was hidden very well. I imagine due to the rain we'd need some kind of cover for it though.

You should be Baker Acted. That belongs on 192 in Kissimmee, right next to a neon teal T-shirt shop and Shell Kingdom. :P (jk)

I didn't expect everyone to agree with me and if you're willing to pony up the dough... I'll "willingly" take that mental exam you'd like to see me take.

Go figure your example is close to home, I live right by 192 near kissimmee. My distaste for those Neon T-shirt shops and the hole otherwise known as skull kingdom is what keeps me from going anywhere near Kissimmee. I'd like nothing more than to see each and every one of those places torn to the ground.

The picture with Church Street Station as it was "planned" actually has charector. To me, buildings like the ones illustrated in the newspaper clipping add the intangibles to a city with regard to building culture. That style of building and atmosphere would be something a visitor would go home and remember for years to come. The city needs something fun, something out of the normal, and it would be a place for people to go after games, plays, and operas when the new venues come online down the road.

Go figure your example is close to home, I live right by 192 near kissimmee. My distaste for those Neon T-shirt shops and the hole otherwise known as skull kingdom is what keeps me from going anywhere near Kissimmee. I'd like nothing more than to see each and every one of those places torn to the ground.

Isn't Skull Kindom on I drive?

Skull Kingdom is getting torn down and being turned into apartments :-)

It's on I-drive

http://www.orlandoweekly.com/features/story.asp?id=11353

There was a Skull Kingdom (or something extremly similar) in Kissimmee. It's right next to what I believe is Kissimmee go carts and little bit away from the sam's club. It's not being torn down and looks absolutely horrible.

Skull Kingdom is getting torn down and being turned into apartments :-)

It's on I-drive

http://www.orlandoweekly.com/features/story.asp?id=11353

That's too bad. I think I-Drive ought to have as much of that kind of thing as possible.

A giant skull.

That is so cool.

BTW... where did it say anything about being turned into apartments?

Seems like a dumb place for apartmenets...

Edited by JFW657

There was a Skull Kingdom (or something extremly similar) in Kissimmee. It's right next to what I believe is Kissimmee go carts and little bit away from the sam's club. It's not being torn down and looks absolutely horrible.

That's right! Haunted Mansion. That didn't last long. I wonder if anyone has kept a log of what has been on 192 Jungleland, the maze place, boot world, that funny white house thing etc. It would be interesting to see.

You think they'd ever try to put something like Terror on church street back?

Are you talking about midevil times. Its the same grey scheme style building.

That's right! Haunted Mansion. That didn't last long. I wonder if anyone has kept a log of what has been on 192 Jungleland, the maze place, boot world, that funny white house thing etc. It would be interesting to see.

You think they'd ever try to put something like Terror on church street back?

The funny white house thing was Xanadu or Zanadu, the house of the future!

The funny white house thing was Xanadu or Zanadu, the house of the future!

I love driving by the old Xanadu "House of the Future" with the weeds growing up all around it and windows boarded up. That's classic humor.

Skull Kingdom was a nice novelty building, though. Too bad the inside stunk. Terror on Church Street was one of the best haunted houses I had ever been in. The old, two stories, maze and wonderful scenery was perfect. I really miss Terror.

Where would you build the hotel on church St? I am pretty sure that Mr. Kuhn would not be allowed to knock down any of the existing buildings due to their historical significance...

if I understand the proposal correctly, the new hotel is probably going to straddle Garland between the Ballroom and South St., on that sliver of land. if so, I think it will mask the Suntrust parking garages from I-4's view as well. don't think it's going to be tall.

if I understand the proposal correctly, the new hotel is probably going to straddle Garland between the Ballroom and South St., on that sliver of land. if so, I think it will mask the Suntrust parking garages from I-4's view as well. don't think it's going to be tall.

its just as well, 55w is tall enough. it'd be nice not to impede Suntrust any more that it already is. at least from that angle. and having a midrise there will only make the density look more packed.

...yay! 100 posts! :yahoo: