Meijer Cites $463-Million investment in state

wolverine

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm just sad that a Michigan-based retailer of that size still doesn't have a store in the largest city in the entire state, and the 11th largest city in the country.

BTW, that annoucement also includes the expansion of the huge Meijer distribution center here in Lansing. I hope that means more jobs, too.

Hopefully there numbers are right because I do not know if some of the markets they are expanding in can support the new stores. But I am usually pessimistic about these sorts of things and usually feel that a store has to much saturation, i.e. walgreens in some markets. So maybe Meijer will be the Michigan starbucks.

d-town, I don't want Meijers to start competing with all the Glory Markets. Actually, that's kind of a joke. I doubt there would be much of an effect.

LMichigan, Meijer has definitely oversaturated Ann Arbor. One at every exit on I-94! (Except for State Street) Surprisingly there's only one Wal-Mart in the Ann Arbor-Ypsi area, and it's in a horrible location. Everyone in the area is pretty die-hard Meijer shoppers though. Many students are willing to endure a 40 minute bus ride just to shop out there.

LMichigan, Meijer has definitely oversaturated Ann Arbor. One at every exit on I-94! (Except for State Street) Surprisingly there's only one Wal-Mart in the Ann Arbor-Ypsi area, and it's in a horrible location. Everyone in the area is pretty die-hard Meijer shoppers though. Many students are willing to endure a 40 minute bus ride just to shop out there.

Go to any of those 12 stores on a Saturday afternoon and tell me you think the market is saturated. It may be that we have a lot of stores in the GR metro area but they all are very busy; thats not what I consider to be a saturated market, more like meeting market demands.

Archived