The Twin Cities Area New Identity: Minneapolis - St. Paul

Minneapolitan

For years the metro area has been known as the Twin Cities, but now local leaders (including MPLS. and STPL. mayors) are in favor of dropping the name for Minneapolis-St. Paul. The goal is to end the competition / "old-school" rivalry between Minneapolis and St. Paul and get them working together.

Other objectives include:

- educating the locals about how the "outside" world sees Minneapolis and St. Paul.

- provide those outside a 500-mile radius of the cities with information about why it's a great place to visit or relocate.

- draw employees and keep them by developing a more diverse atmosphere in the corporate world.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Minneapolis-St.Paul is quite wordy when compared to the three syllables in "Twin Cities", and would almost inevitably become shortened to something else any way. Minnypaul? Yuck. As an outsider I don't think of the Twin Cities moniker as indicating competitiveness or rivalry (though I am aware that it does exist), instead, it is one of those place names that is memorable, and does not need the explanation of the actual place name which is positive at a time when no one knows where anything is. As far as culture, diversity or business savvy, hell, what nickname accomplishes all that? Better (IMO) to let your nickname convey those things by virtue of association.

I thought Twin Cities was a good name, and worked well. You never think outside of the area that they are competeing just that they are two mirror image cities. Also Minneapolis-St. Paul is areally long and they will jsut end up calling it something else, probably either Minneapolis or St. Paul and one will feel inferior.

I thought Twin Cities was a good name, and worked well. You never think outside of the area that they are competeing just that they are two mirror image cities. Also Minnesota-St. Paul is areally long and they will jsut end up calling it something else, probably eithe rMinnesota or St. Paul and one will feel inferior.

LOL! Sorry to give you a hard time dgreco, but I'm assuming you meant Minneapolis - not Minnesota - St. Paul.

I also agree with you about one ending up feeling inferior and I'm thinking it will be St. Paul. The city is very underrated and I can't imagine this new marketing scheme will help it.

I've always known it as Minneapolis - St. Paul. But how did the capital get second billing? That's like Petersburg - Richmond... whew that'll never happen. Why wasn't the capital moved across the river?

Interesting. I've often heard "Twin Cities" as a nickname, but I've never heard anyone say, "Oh I'm going to the Twin Cities for a conference." Its always, "Oh I'm going to the Minneapolis for a conference" (and this is probably true whether its in St Paul or Minneapolis). As the "second" city in the name, I'm sure that St Paul does not like that. As someone from a city who also gets the "second name" dropped alot (Spartanburg), I can attest to this phenomenon being quite annoying. I applaud the Twin Cities' effort to end the rivalry and unify behind the Twin Cities moniker.

So will the Minnesota Twins now be the Minnesota Minneapolis-St. Pauls? :P

Can some Minnesotans give us some idea of the cities' rivalry? In what ways have they been competitive? What's St. Paul got on Minneapolis? What's Minneapolis got on St. Paul?

Archived