BREC

richyb83

On 1/22/2016 at 9:06 PM, greg225 said:

The Zoo sit in Baker City limits, but the article say Zachary is not close to the Zoo but Zachary sit less than a mile from Baker. I still say the Zoo need to stay  where its at because the Zoo own too much land and its mostly undeveloped,  they must try to develop that land first before thinking about moving. I feel moving the zoo must be the a last result if it don't work after making a attempt to make the current location better than move. Even if they move the zoo they might have the same problems if they don't think big.

It used to be a good zoo.  They've kind of let it go without some much needed maintenance.   Just a weird location for a zoo, and was obviously started there because land was cheap.   

The zoo can be a major attraction if they wanted to.   Honestly, if they could fit it somewhere in "downtown east" next to all the downtown museums, it would probably see more attendance.    Unfortunately I don't see how they can possibly fit it at any location in that area.    If they were doing away with the golf course at City Park, that would be another possibility.  

If they are going to move it.....IMO, it should be closer to the city center in some way.   

On 12/16/2015 at 9:09 AM, greg225 said:

BREC look like they made up their minds that the zoo will stay at the same location. Since they will stay they need come up with a plan to modernize the zoo and add new exhibits.  They also need add another entrance that would extend to Hwy 19 which runs through Baker, Zachary and Baton Rouge. They also need to focus on parking because every time I passed by the zoo, and its a big crowd cars are parked on the side of the road. If they are not going to move they at least need to start making the current location better to draw more people in. Crazy part the zoo owns a lot of property and they not even using half of it.

Parking has always been a problem there.  

On 3/14/2016 at 3:15 PM, richyb83 said:

The construction at the new Children's Museum looks pretty cool when driving westbound I-10 crossing City Park Lake :shades: 

It's definitely larger than I thought it would be.   

Edited by cajun

Baton Rouge Zoo officials moving closer to deciding whether zoo should move to new site                

As Baton Rouge Zoo leaders have started to open up over the past year about a potential rebuilding campaign, one question has been paramount for residents and community leaders: Will the zoo move?

Zoo and Recreation and Parks Commission officials will be one step closer to providing an answer on Thursday, when potential future sites for the zoo’s animals and activities will be revealed. Philadelphia-based consultants from Schultz & Williams will give a presentation at 5 p.m. Thursday at the BREC headquarters where the locations they have scouted as finalists will finally become known.

Previous presentations about rebuilding the zoo have emphasized that massive changes and possibly more than $100 million will be needed to change for a “zoo of the future” to become reality. BREC and zoo leaders have said they still are unsure whether they will try to rebuild the zoo at its current location on Thomas Road, or if they will try to find a new home for it.

Zoo Director Phil Frost said the zoo had looked at around eight locations in January. Even if the zoo stays in its current spot near Baker, Frost predicted that 90 to 95 percent of its architecture will need to be replaced.

The zoo’s ZIP code tracking and neighborhood surveys show that the majority of the zoo’s usual visitors are not its nearest neighbors. Instead, families travel to visit the animals from south Baton Rouge, Denham Springs, Zachary and northwest Ascension Parish. 

But a vocal group of north Baton Rouge residents and community leaders have rallied around keeping the zoo where it is. They have blamed the zoo’s leadership for not doing enough to bring people to its current location near Baker.

More than 100 attendees at a north Baton Rouge forum last month confronted Frost and BREC Superintendent Carolyn McKnight with a show of hands saying they wanted to zoo to stay. Many they had not been asked for their opinions about moving the zoo despite being north Baton Rouge residents.

Baton Rouge National Association for the Advancement of Colored People leaders also vowed to oppose any campaigns to relocate the zoo. A Facebook page called “Keep My Zoo Where It Is” has encouraged people to flood McKnight’s inbox with letters that ask for improvements at the current zoo, rather than a new location.

McKnight and Frost have countered by saying no decisions have been made yet about whether to relocate the zoo. They also cited a survey they commissioned in November of 327 people who live within a three-mile radius of Greenwood Community Park, which is next to the zoo.

The survey from market researchers Percy and Company said just 3 percent of those living around the zoo said they visited it monthly, and a quarter of the heads of households said they visit several times a year.

But 39 percent of the people who were surveyed said they visit other BREC parks multiple times a month.

McKnight has promised that if the zoo changes locations, BREC will build something that nearby neighbors would get more use of in its place. She said they might consider building something along the lines of another Liberty Lagoon water park, one of BREC’s crown jewels.

Doing so could ratchet up the cost of the total zoo renovation, which also has not been finalized. Frost and McKnight said if the zoo moves, they would factor the cost of building something in its place into a fundraising campaign. They expect that the renovations will require a combination of public and private financing, but they said they are waiting on a better cost estimate before they specify whether they will ask for a tax.

The BREC commission will only receive a report on Thursday that outlines possible locations and other ideas for improvements to the zoo. They will not vote on making any of the recommended changes until further down the line.

The commission will also consider on Thursday holding a tax election on November 8, 2016 to renew one of its many property taxes.   http://theadvocate.com/news/15268621-123/baton-rouge-zoo-officials-moving-step-closer-to-deciding-whether-zoo-should-move-to-new-site

The survey is BS  I know people that live not far from Zoo and say they never took a survey. When they had the meeting in NBR many people say they never took a survey, so BREC now it's BS. At that same meeting many people said if the Zoo move they do not want a water park. Lets say the Zoo move if it move it probably have the same problems if they don't have any vision. The Zoo in Baker is falling a part because BREC did not take good care if it and parking is a problem. BREC might need to hand the Zoo over to Audubon and allow them to fix the problems. Location is only a problem so some people say, but neglect is a problem if BREC do the same things at a new location.

Its sorta funny to me how episodic this whole thing is.

Considering how this is one of Baton Rouge's "attractions", I agree with spending more money on it.... I wonder how much it would cost to install a roller coaster. I think if that put one make-you-go-crazy thriller roller coaster it could eventually pay for the park considering it would be the only one between Florida and San Antonio.

Edited by dan326

Consultants recommend relocating BREC’s Baton Rouge Zoo     

Independent consultants will recommend relocating BREC’s Baton Rouge Zoo from its current spot at Greenwood Park on Thomas Road to either BREC’s Airline Highway Park and the “Nicholson Corridor Zone,” both on the opposite side of the parish, as alternative locations.

The final report and recommendations, prepared by Philadelphia-based consultants Schultz & Williams, will be presented this evening to the BREC Commission at the board’s 5 p.m. meeting at BREC’s headquarters on Florida Boulevard.

BREC wants to undertake an ambitious $110 million campaign to re-imagine and revitalize the parish’s zoo. But suggestions to relocate the park away from north Baton Rouge, and to a site in the southern part of the city, have been rebuffed by north Baton Rouge residents who say their community is being neglected economically in favor south Baton Rouge.

Metro Councilwoman Chauna Banks-Daniel, who represents the district where the zoo currently sits and has been outspoken against moving the zoo, says the report’s finding are “absolutely no surprise” and that she has been told the plan for years has been to move the Baton Rouge Zoo right next to the State Fairgrounds on Airline Highway.

She says when looking at the list of people interviewed for the study, it is no surprise that the firm recommended moving the zoo. Banks-Daniel says Mayor Kip Holden, the Baton Rouge Area Chamber and lawmakers from south Baton Rouge were interviewed, but she, north Baton Rouge state lawmakers, the Baker Chamber of Commerce and former Baker Mayor Harold Rideau were not.

“Anyone who knows anything about how Baton Rouge works with feasibility studies and contracts, the same names come up consistently,” Banks-Daniel says.

In a news release, BREC says Schultz & Williams and CLR Design did a full assessment of both the current Zoo site and several other potential sites within East Baton Rouge Parish. The consultants performed on-site inspections, sample surveyed the surrounding community and conducted market analysis. They also met with BREC and zoo staff, the zoo’s steering committee members and Friends of the Zoo Board of Directors.

“This planning project has focused on defining how the new Zoo can provide the best and highest use to the largest and broadest audience,” says Rick Biddle, Schultz & Williams vice president, in a news release. “The right location is critical for achieving the tremendous community and economic impacts the new Baton Rouge Zoo can have on the Parish.”

In addition to relocating the zoo, Schultz & Williams also recommend updating a feasibility study conducted in 2015 as part of BREC’s 10-year strategic plan and continuing to research the two sites included in the study as well as any other alternatives that may arise. The original study determined that while there was interest in a re-imagined zoo, potential donors had significant doubt about the long-term viability and security of the zoo at its current location.

According to the new study, Schultz & Williams narrowed down a list of potential sites within East Baton Rouge Parish to three: the current site at Greenwood Park; the Nicholson Corridor, an expanse of undeveloped land near La. 30 and Bluebonnet Boulevard; and the Airline Highway Park site.

The consultants examined criteria such as available acreage; fundability; number of unique impressions; connectivity to donors; the site’s strength in being an asset to the region; synergy with partners; timeframe to achieve full buildout; proximity to core audiences; and the level of operational and guest disruption.

The latter two sites are deemed more attractive locations because they would likely garner strong philanthropic support, a better balance of public and private funding, have a shorter implementation time and could be fulfilled in five-plus years, the report says.

The current Greenwood Park site in north Baton Rouge is unlikely to receive significant philanthropic support, would have a higher, long-term dependency on public support and would require more time for BREC to implement its vision.

But Banks-Daniel says she feels the recommendation is just another cog in the wheel of the effort to build south Baton Rouge up, while not doing anything for the northern part of the city and parish.

“If you have a room inside your house that’s not clean, you’re going to close the door. That’s what north Baton Rouge has become,” Banks-Daniel says.

BREC can accept or reject the consultants’ recommendations. If the recommendations are accepted, the consultant also recommends that BREC update the original 2015 study, solicit the support of an external marketing/public relations partner to lead significant communication needs and initiatives going forward and gather more community input.

Mike Walker, a former Metro Councilman and mayoral candidate and current member of the BREC Board of Commissioners, says he wants to see the economic impact the zoo will have, both in the recommended sites and for the northern part of the parish if the zoo leaves the Thomas Road location. Walker has said he opposes moving the zoo if that relocation will have a negative impact on the communities of Baker, Zachary, Central and the entire northern part of the parish.

However, he also wants to see the zoo maximize its earning potential to alleviate some strain on taxpayers, so he also wants to see how the new zoo will be sustainable and draw tourists to East Baton Rouge Parish.

“I think the zoo will have a tremendous earned revenue potential, if done right, to lessen the burden on the taxpayer,” Walker says.

Read the full study.     https://www.businessreport.com/article/consultants-recommend-relocating-brecs-baton-rouge-zoo

Just read the Business Report article on the zoo. I remember I sent Mr. Frost the recommendation for the spot on Nicholson near LSU's South campus. I think that'd be an excellent opportunity to collaborate with LSU. They could make the buildings "LSU" style and build a purple and gold roller coaster.

Easy solution to this.    BREC has too damn many golf courses, and most of them suck.   The entire Baton Rouge area has too many golf courses both public and private.    Close one of the public courses down (or buy a closed one like Sherwood), and open up a world class zoo on that property.   That would be vastly more space than what the zoo currently has especially if they can incorporate a parking deck.

The zoo gets a more centralized, visible location and it doesn't have to move to Egypt.    The old zoo property becomes a sports mega-complex for soccer, basketball, and baseball tournaments.    People who live adjacent to the new zoo location can take comfort in the fact that a crappy developer won't be throwing cheap apartments next door.   Bears and Giraffes make better neighbors than most people anyway.   

Everybody wins.....especially the construction companies.   They win even more.  

Edited by cajun

I hope the Zoo stay near the same location and just move it up to Hwy 19 and Thomas Rd. I only will support a move if its move to the middle of  the parish. The state fair ground is a bad location don't even know why that's even options. If the state fair is where they move I will vote against the BREC tax renewal.

Edited by greg225

17 minutes ago, dan326 said:
4 minutes ago, greg225 said:

I hope the Zoo stay near the same location and just move it up to Hwy 19 and Thomas Rd. I only will support a move if its move to the middle of  the parish. The state fair ground is a bad location don't even know why that's even options. If the state fair is where they move I will vote against the BREC tax renewal.

Just read the Business Report article on the zoo. I remember I sent Mr. Frost the recommendation for the spot on Nicholson near LSU's South campus. I think that'd be an excellent opportunity to collaborate with LSU. They could make the buildings "LSU" style and build a purple and gold roller coaster.

There are too many enclosed malls in Baton Rouge too.  Maybe the Cortana property could be repurposed for a massive new zoo.

I like my golf course idea better.

Edited by cajun

1 hour ago, dan326 said:

I like the one on Airline since it's the biggest and I don't think Bluebonnet can realistically handle that traffic. I do wonder where the fairgrounds will go though? Maybe they could switch places??

Not me I hate that location this went from a more visible location to serving Ascension. Just don't see how that location almost on the parish line benefit the parish. That's just me, but if they move to that location I will vote against the BREC tax renewal. Hope the zoo pick a better location than the 2 this group picked. What happen to the property off Essen LSU Rural Life Museum? That location was listed as a option for the new zoo location last year.

Edited by greg225

The question should be who is paying these consultants because its definitely not BREC. Whoever paying the consultants must have cut a deal probably BRAF is behind this. Still think its better location than what been picked by the consultants. Consultants only worry is about Ascension and Livingston. 

Edited by greg225

On 3/28/2016 at 0:46 PM, greg225 said:

The question should be who is paying these consultants because its definitely not BREC. Whoever paying the consultants must have cut a deal probably BRAF is behind this. Still think its better location than what been picked by the consultants. Consultants only worry is about Ascension and Livingston. 

Consultants and BREC are trying to find the zoo more space in an area that draws more visitors.   The zoo is dependent on ticket sales as much as it is on tax dollars.  Space and visibility......not an easy combination to find on a budget.   Zoos take up a lot of space.  Unless they are willing to shutter one of their many crappy golf courses or pay for expensive commercial property, there aren't many options.  

I think people fighting to keep those BREC golf courses open has never played them.   Most of them honestly suck.  

Edited by cajun

• 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ideal location for a new zoo IMO.  Parking on north side of Harrell's Ferry.   Zoo on the south side.   

capturebr.jpg

That gives them much more space than before and puts them close to major highways, since a Zoo is a regional asset and not a neighborhood amenity.   The highway frontage gives them access to giant signage and other things similar to the St. Louis Zoo.

Edited by cajun
  • Like 1

On 3/8/2017 at 11:03 PM, richyb83 said:

Knock Knock Children's Museum at City Park off Dalrymple Drive

DSCN1469_zps7hl3y26t.jpg

Up on the hill

Baton Rouge builds Knock Knock museum with donations from locals.

New Orleans immediately gets the cash-strapped state government to fund the construction of an even larger one in their City Park.   

Sigh.....

• Like 1

That's a good location. Hopefully it doesn't go at the end of Bluebonnet.

Good point in regards to it only being considered a neighborhood amenity. The impression I get sometimes is that since the BR Zoo will never be the Audubon Zoo it's not worth putting money into.

Lol, I was surprised we even got a museum at all.

That's an interesting location...wonder how Woodland Ridge residents would take to the idea? esp with the Choo-choo Train running around the periphery near their fence-lines...

A couple years ago the idea had been floated to make New Zoo location off I-12/East of O'Neal Lane in the heavily wooded area at the old proposed LaVie movie studio;  behind Wal-mart/Medical Center...they probably need to leave that a nature preserve + sure it got plenty flood water

Current city leaders & pro NBR crew will argue the current zoo location would have more space for future expansion

Anyone consider the land across the Capitol Lake from the State Capitol? Plenty of land that's not being used. It's pretty industrial but it could be a great stimulus to that part of downtown not to mention they could clean up the lake and use it. Could you images exhibits with the downtown skyline and state Capitol in the background or an amphitheater facing the lake with a floating stage! That location makes the most sense to me because it's in the center of the city next to downtown. What do y'all think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think Woodland Ridge residents would fight this. It would bring nothing to them except a bunch of traffic and noise and a year long construction phase.

I don't think a zoo belongs in the middle of the city. I'd rather see an aquarium downtown. But I would like to see that "warehouse district" up there developed into something other than empty decrepit buildings.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

11 hours ago, GeauxDowntownBR said:

Anyone consider the land across the Capitol Lake from the State Capitol? Plenty of land that's not being used. It's pretty industrial but it could be a great stimulus to that part of downtown not to mention they could clean up the lake and use it. Could you images exhibits with the downtown skyline and state Capitol in the background or an amphitheater facing the lake with a floating stage! That location makes the most sense to me because it's in the center of the city next to downtown. What do y'all think?

For the Animals safety sake...i'd shy away from that location ..if a serious mishap were to ever occur at Exxon...no time to evacuate them...but i like the Amphitheatre  idea & floating stage :thumbsup:

Would maybe  like to see a cleaned up Warehouse District possibly set -up (like Antrell said)

Wish they could re-develop the BR Waterworks site;  on River Road  in front of Shaw Center for the Arts into a Louisiana/Swamp-native Riverarium-type attraction to enhance the Cultural District

Edited by richyb83
  • Like 1