Workforce Housing

Florida

Many builders/developers don't want to mess with affordable housing because the profits are less, more paperwork, and slightly different building standards.

As far as introducing myself, I recently found the forum looking for information on a development being built in Asheville by a business partner of mine. While our focus is on workforce housing, we also build custom homes around Tallahassee. We recently co-developed a subdivision just north of Tallahassee off US27 in Gadsden county on the way to Havana with lots price in the 60's for 1+ acre. Most of the homes in there will be between 260,000 and 350,000 according to the builders who have purchased lots from us.

As I mentioned previously, we are trying to acquire property in Leon County to build a product that is somewhere in the 150's. I think that is where we need to be given the income levels of the majority of the workforce.

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Workforce Housing

I work for a large employer in western North Carolina. We are trying to research "workforce housing" and it's benefits. I would really appreciate any updates, research or links you could provide.

Thanks,

rs68 [email protected]

Workforce Housing

I work for a large employer in western North Carolina. We are trying to research "workforce housing" and it's benefits. I would really appreciate any updates, research or links you could provide.

Thanks,

rs68 [email protected]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

City Prevails in Workforce Housing Challenge

nrlogo3.gif

November 26

The City of Tallahassee's workforce housing ordinance, designed to encourage the development of homes that are affordable to the area's nurses, teachers and public safety employees, has been deemed valid and constitutional by the circuit court. The City received confirmation of the order today, which was brought as a legal challenge by the Florida Homebuilders Association and Tallahassee Builders Association.

The ordinance, adopted by the City Commission in 2005, designates certain areas of Tallahassee as Inclusionary Zones and requires that new developments including more than 50 dwelling units make 10 percent of the units affordable to families earning 70 to 100 percent of the Median Family Income ($57,600).

"The City of Tallahassee wants to ensure that our nurses, teachers, police officers, firefighters and other workers can afford to live in the community that they serve," said Mayor John Marks. "I am very proud that the City continues to be a state and national leader in caring for the housing needs of our workforce."

The ordinance was designed to include incentives that assist builders and developers in enhancing their projects and help cover potential costs related to meeting the workforce housing objectives. Circuit Judge John C. Cooper agreed and issued a final summary judgment in the City's favor on all grounds raised by the plaintiffs.

A number of Florida cities and counties have closely monitored the case as they attempt to deal with the crisis of providing affordable workforce housing in their communities.

"The Court's order clearly recognizes that there is a valid governmental interest to assist men and women of a community's workforce in realizing the American dream of home ownership," said City Attorney Jim English. "The City's ordinance was carefully designed to assist builders and developers in achieving and maintaining housing affordability, and we look forward to more local builders and developers addressing this need."

• 1 month later...

Rivers Landing

$150,000 - $170,000

In my never ending quest to find affordable housing in our community, I stumbled upon Rivers Landing today off of Tower Road in the North West quadrant of our city. I have to say, despite its location, this is a great neighborhood. There were sidewalks, underground utilities, decently portioned yards, and quality constructed homes. There are small townhomes, not nearly as nice, selling for much more than Premier is asking for these. This is not an endorsement of Premier by any means, this is simply some excitement to see some quality built construction coming to town in a price range more suitable for a starter home.

Here's a small sample of what you'll find if you ever decide to take the drive.

floridaretailfederationya2.jpg

floridaretailfederationkt8.jpg

floridaretailfederationfk2.jpg

floridaretailfederationhb2.jpg

floridaretailfederationib7.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

City Approves Bids for Workforce Housing Funds

The new townhomes proposed for the Cross Creek development off Apalachee Parkway should be affordable for many working-class people, said Randall Webster, a consultant working on the project. But if the developers get the $1.75 million state grant they

Archived