Mayor race - Peduto drops out

TheGerbil

Peduto has dropped out of the primary, leaving Ravenstahl unopposed. http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07081/771552-182.stm

I have to say I am dissapointed. I like to have choices, and would probably have voted for Peduto. Granted he dropped out for a good reason - he didn't want to go negative - but I would have prefered to see him stay in the race and simply avoid negative tactics.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree... I also would have voted for Peduto, though I'm liking Luke a bit more than I thought I would.

I think keeping the Penguins really helped him (though I have no idea if he had any impact on the arena deal). I also think that on some of the key issues (such as tax breaks for downtown development and the buy-back of tax liens), there wasn't enough of a difference between the two candidates for Peduto to overcome the advantage that Ravenstahl has.

Whether he deserves any credit or not, I think Luke is benefitting from the city's momentum.

Peduto dropped out just in time to keep himself eligible as an Independent candidate in the General Election... which I suspect is his strategy. He's currently getting killed in the polls... and he has no support from the local Democratic Machine. This gives Peduto time to formulate a strategy, get his ideas across in the public forum... and it allows more time for Ravenstahl to make some more blunders.

well... despite being seen as a "progressive"... Peduto is rather fiscally conservative... which doesn't necessarily contradict "progressive"... so he might appeal to the minority Republicans and Independents in the city... the Democratic Machine is not behind Peduto at all... he would have a better chance running Independent... where everyone can vote... than running for the Democratic primary

well... despite being seen as a "progressive"... Peduto is rather fiscally conservative... which doesn't necessarily contradict "progressive"... so he might appeal to the minority Republicans and Independents in the city... the Democratic Machine is not behind Peduto at all... he would have a better chance running Independent... where everyone can vote... than running for the Democratic primary

• 3 weeks later...

Peduto officially rules out run as Independent in the general election... so this effectively eliminates the possibility of anything resembling a competitive mayoral race

some speculate this is Peduto saving himself for a 2009 run... so he doesn't soil his future by bolting the Democratic party or having to go negative...

but personally... I think he effectively gave up his chance of ever being Pittsburgh's mayor...

• 1 month later...

I am happy with the way things went. I believe Dowd and Kraus will be good city councilmen.

Not sure how I feel about the county controller race. I like Onorato okay, but the other guy seemed like he had good potential, and it's a shame that no one even knew he was running.

The election on May 15, 2007 was a primary. Folks such as Bruce Kraus won the endorsement. He isn't elected. And, if he does get to council -- I fear that it will NOT be a step forward. Bruce is the front runner -- but -- that is a negative for the city.

The winners of the general election get to be on council. That election is slated for Nov 6.

I'll be running against Bruce Kraus.

Others will be running against others as well.

Watch for the Libertarians. And, your help getting onto the ballot is welcomed too.

Thanks.

Mark Rauterkus

[email protected]

Right, I know it's just a primary. Sometimes I forget for a minute though, since in some cases the primary basically is the election.

I'm going to have to take down your link, as it's a tad spam-ish. But I will leave your post up.

I am happy with the way things went. I believe Dowd and Kraus will be good city councilmen.

Not sure how I feel about the county controller race. I like Onorato okay, but the other guy seemed like he had good potential, and it's a shame that no one even knew he was running.

Archived