Metro Atlanta Statistics

Martinman

Atlanta's (MSA) population surpasses 5 million.

The 2006 estimate is 5,138,223 up 166,000 from 2005

AJC aritcle

Also here's an interactive map on the AJC with population figures for all GA counties.

Georgia's 2006 Population by county

Edit: Adding Gainesville MSA, and the micropolitan areas of Cedartown, GA, LaGrange, GA, Thomaston, GA, and Valley, AL:

results in a CSA of 5,478,667

Edited by Martinman

Way to go Atlanta. I was walking in to eat lunch today at a restaurant and the three guys ahead of me stopped, pointed at the AJC box, and one said, "Man, how big is it going to get?" That is a good question.

In all probability you'll get an extra resident from Augusta this Summer!!! They just keeping coming and coming!!!

Way to go Atlanta. I was walking in to eat lunch today at a restaurant and the three guys ahead of me stopped, pointed at the AJC box, and one said, "Man, how big is it going to get?" That is a good question.

In all probability you'll get an extra resident from Augusta this Summer!!! They just keeping coming and coming!!!

I'll be happier when the City gets to 1 Million. It'll mean a real move in the right direction and provide the density this city needs.

Should be quite a change of pace from Auguuuuusssstaaaa...as my relatives say it. :rolleyes:

^ Hehe. Although they were probably having a little fun at Augusta's expense, is there a reason why people in Savannah and Augusta drag everything out when they talk? I mean, it's like Gone With The Wind mixed with that one guy off Dazed and Confused.

Either way, it'll be like moving from a slow-moving creek to white water rafting. I'm just waiting on that cool two-bedroom $600 a month apartment to open up in Virginia-Highlands. :shades:

Edited by Pillsbury

...and waiting, and waiting, and waiting...

and waiting and wating...........

My present-wife & I had a 2 bed apt. in 1997 for $550 & it was a total dive, think "Slums of Virginia Highlands".

Yeah, somehow I think the closest I can get to Atlanta for $600 a month is.....well....Madison. :unsure:

estimates for the largest metro counties
  1. Fulton - 960,009
  2. Gwinnett - 757,104
  3. Dekalb - 723,602
  4. Cobb - 679,325
  5. Calyton - 271,240
  6. Cherokee - 195,327
  7. Henry - 178,033
  8. Forsyth - 150,968
  9. Paulding - 121,530
  10. Douglas - 119,557
  11. Coweta - 115,291
  12. Carroll - 107,325
  13. Fayette - 106,671

I wonder how that ranking will change if Milton County splits off? My guess would be that Milton becomes no. 4 and Fulton becomes no. 5, although they'll both be considerably behind the Big 3.

I wonder how that ranking will change if Milton County splits off? My guess would be that Milton becomes no. 4 and Fulton becomes no. 5, although they'll both be considerably behind the Big 3.

What are the borders of this proposed "Milton County"? I doubt that it could be larger than Fulton unless it took in whole city limits north of I-20.

Here you go. 2br's in VaHi for $600/month

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/apa/281790970.html

Haha - that is the place I used to live in, we called Briarcliff Terrace the Slums of Virginia Highlands. Considering the location - it is a great deal. But you have to live without air conditioning & the appliances / hot water often breaks. Then - there are the residents, which had improved the last time we visited. But when we lived there, our next door neighbor was a call girl, the neighbors upstairs often fought one another resulting in one night in a stabbing & of course the constant dump fires.

But otherwise - it was a fun complex to live in. But the complex should be torn down.

Haha - that is the place I used to live in, we called Briarcliff Terrace the Slums of Virginia Highlands. Considering the location - it is a great deal. But you have to live without air conditioning & the appliances / hot water often breaks. Then - there are the residents, which had improved the last time we visited. But when we lived there, our next door neighbor was a call girl, the neighbors upstairs often fought one another resulting in one night in a stabbing & of course the constant dump fires.

But otherwise - it was a fun complex to live in. But the complex should be torn down.

Who can live without air conditioning in Atlanta? :o

I was completely floored by the new population figures. Everyone thought Atlanta and Georgia had slowed for good after 2001 and the recession. However, the state continues it's blistering growth. The Atlanta metro has revved up it's growth to the highest figures ever recorded. The state of Georgia and metro Atlanta's incredible growth continues unabated after that minor bump in the road after 2001. However, I am curious how the paper got the statistic of 166,000 for the yearly growth? Unless they have increased the 2005 figure of 4,917,717, which I see no evidence of, Atlanta MSA grew by 221,000 and the CSA grew by 229,000. Some of this increase is due to the estimated 84,000 Katrina refugees, most of which went to the Atlanta area, but most of it is due to natural increase and migration. Without Katrina evacuees, the metro area would still have grown by 140,000. Either way, they are all truly phenomenal growth figures, and Atlanta will post another stellar increase in 2010. The city of Atlanta, which has climbed by a whopping 67,000 people from 2000 to 2005, still only represents less than 10% of the area total. The new 2005 figures for Fulton and Atlanta, following the last challenge and granted by the Census Bureau, are 934,000 for Fulton and 483,000 for Atlanta. The 2006 estimate for Fulton is 960,000. Some of the 2006 figure for Atlanta will be due to the recent annexations. In 2006, Atlanta annexed 2 neighborhoods in Fulton County, and 2 more in early 2007, while more annexations await approval. The 2006 annexations added 5,000 people and more territory to the city, and if the new applications are accepted, the estimated addition would be 17,000 people and several square miles of land. Without the annexations, the city still shows brisk growth, something most cities would kill for. All I say is GO, Atlanta, GO!

Edited by Unifour

I'll be happier when the City gets to 1 Million. It'll mean a real move in the right direction and provide the density this city needs.

Not me, the central city population is irrelevant in today's metropolitan world. I only hope Atlanta doesn't fall for the watermelon environmentalist policies regarding density, transit oriented development, communter rail and so forth. Atlanta's high quality of life is due to it offering what most people desire-a good sized yard and nice homes and ever increasing consumer choices combined with successful pro-business policies which brings the jobs needed to raise the standard of living. Around the world, density is falling as people grow wealthier and move to bigger homes and bigger yards and drive thier own cars. Most people dislike cramped living and riding a hot smelly train crammed like sardines. Atlanta will probably fall for the environmentalist policies, but if they want to kill the capitalist goose that lays the golden eggs, they really will stop growing.

Edited by Unifour

Not me, the central city population is irrelevant in today's metropolitan world. I only hope Atlanta doesn't fall for the watermelon environmentalist policies regarding density, transit oriented development, communter rail and so forth. Atlanta's high quality of life is due to it offering what most people desire-a good sized yard and nice homes and ever increasing consumer choices combined with successful pro-business policies which brings the jobs needed to raise the standard of living. Around the world, density is falling as people grow wealthier and move to bigger homes and bigger yards and drive thier own cars. Most people dislike cramped living and riding a hot smelly train crammed like sardines. Atlanta will probably fall for the environmentalist policies, but if they want to kill the capitalist goose that lays the golden eggs, they really will stop growing.

Please stay in North Carolina