Metro Atlanta Statistics

Martinman

I almost can't believe Atlanta's growing this fast.

image_5267226.jpg

I saw the same article, and to me, what is most impressive about Atlanta'a growth ( and I mean city) is that is is being fueled by domestic citizens instead of immigrants. All of the big cities, NY, Boston, Chicago, San Fran, all would have lost population in that time period if it weren't for immigrants. I think that speaks to the strength of Atlanta's revitalization.

I think it will level off when Atlanta finally fills in.

As for the city, there are still so many surface parking lots in our city and room on the edges to grow the urban core that I can't imagine that our growth would be limited by land.

As far as the burbs go, there should be a huge slow down soon. Yes there is more farmland out there but not like it was in the past. The development in the burbs will probably slow down while they reinvent themselves and start converting industrial nowhere/anywhere boulevards such as Cobb Parkway, Riverdale Road, Memorial Drive and Jimmy Carter Blvd into more urbanized avenues.

I think it will level off when Atlanta finally fills in.

As for the city, there are still so many surface parking lots in our city and room on the edges to grow the urban core that I can't imagine that our growth would be limited by land.

As far as the burbs go, there should be a huge slow down soon. Yes there is more farmland out there but not like it was in the past. The development in the burbs will probably slow down while they reinvent themselves and start converting industrial nowhere/anywhere boulevards such as Cobb Parkway, Riverdale Road, Memorial Drive and Jimmy Carter Blvd into more urbanized avenues.

Yep, the Los Angeles effect. The burbs will grow and grow, then sort of slow down. After that, the major boulevards in the suburbs become urban centers for that particular area.

• 3 weeks later...

Atlanta unemployment dropped to 3.9% this month. It confirms my prediction that all of the corporate takeovers and plant/military base closings would be a bump in the road for Atlanta.

Yes, but as some one who works for the Department of Labor and has witnessed the carnage first-hand, I can tell you it's been rather prolonged bump! This all started around 2001 and we're just starting to get our heads fully out of the water, I think.

It's still awfully tough out there for alot of people, though, especially those who lack the training and skills for the new economy.

Yes, but as some one who works for the Department of Labor and has witnessed the carnage first-hand, I can tell you it's been rather prolonged bump! This all started around 2001 and we're just starting to get our heads fully out of the water, I think.

It's still awfully tough out there for alot of people, though, especially those who lack the training and skills for the new economy.

I was referring to the recent corporate takeovers , the military base closings and the auto assembly closings mostly in '06 which I don't think had anything to do with the 2001 recession.

In fact my original point was that the recent spate of bad news would be like a bump in the road compared to what happened in 2001 which hit the Atlanta economy hard and I would characterize as much more than a bump in the road.

Your last point is something thats true everywhere.

Edited by Martinman

Maybe I'm not up on my job descriptions but from the article it says "Also, from February to March, Georgia added 18,500 payroll jobs, primarily in trade and services."

I would think that "trade and services" would not be new economy jobs.

• 4 months later...

So Fulton is the only county projected to have a population in excess of 1 million by 2030? Even though growth in Gwinnett has been slowing, I would expect it to at least be knocking on the door of 1 million by that time.

As a native Atlantan that has lived here all my life and watched the metro area grow, I truely believe that Fulton and also Gwinnett Counties will top 1 million before the long awaited year of 2030.

So Fulton is the only county projected to have a population in excess of 1 million by 2030? Even though growth in Gwinnett has been slowing, I would expect it to at least be knocking on the door of 1 million by that time.

I would agree - Gwinnett County is becoming a major employment center, already based on the 2000 Census report more residents work in Gwinnett County than do commute to Atlanta. With the lack of quality control planning, the I-85 corridor will likely become rather high dense. Gwinnett County is going to be Atlanta's Orange County (LA).

Anyone think that Cobb or DeKalb could ever top 1 million? I could see Cobb doing it at some point in the future.

IC, if gas prices continue the way they're going, I think Atlanta is going to see quite an influx of residents into the core counties.

So yes IMO I think it is quite possible to see this possibly happen. Who knows what shifts may occur in population in a little over 20 years.

^ But unfortunately the core counties don't hold a monopoly on jobs, people will move closer to their jobs. Which would mean if gas prices will truly effect commuting choices - people won't move out to Jackson, Bartow, Butts, Coweta, or other exurban counties, but to Gwinnett, north Fulton, Cobb & Fayette counties. The hardest thing to figure out though, is what dual income parents will do - in my wife & my case, we lived in Atlanta where I worked but she cross-commuted to Cobb County. I think for those dual income families that both work in the suburbs, that will be a hard call for them due to limited housing options. Would this could result is a mixed-use building boom similar to what is occurring at Perimeter Mall & Vinings.

Edited by teshadoh

• 1 month later...

^ But unfortunately the core counties don't hold a monopoly on jobs, people will move closer to their jobs. Which would mean if gas prices will truly effect commuting choices - people won't move out to Jackson, Bartow, Butts, Coweta, or other exurban counties, but to Gwinnett, north Fulton, Cobb & Fayette counties. The hardest thing to figure out though, is what dual income parents will do - in my wife & my case, we lived in Atlanta where I worked but she cross-commuted to Cobb County. I think for those dual income families that both work in the suburbs, that will be a hard call for them due to limited housing options. Would this could result is a mixed-use building boom similar to what is occurring at Perimeter Mall & Vinings.

Teshadoh, did you mean to say the core counties don't hold a monopoly on jobs, because the core counties of Fulton, Dekalb, Cobb, Clayton, Gwinnett and Fayette in fact do hold the monopoly on jobs as the major job corridors are in the Cumberland/Galleria/Vinnings district, Perimeter, Buckhead, and finally Midtown and Downtown.

• 5 months later...

The 2007 Census Estimates for counties have been released.

2007 Estimate   

Atlanta Metro:

Fulton County	  992,137		  

Gwinnett County	776,380		  

DeKalb County	  737,093		  

Cobb County		691,905		  

Clayton County	 272,217		  

Cherokee County	204,363		 

Henry County	   186,037		 

Forsyth County	 158,914		  

Paulding County	127,906		  

Douglas County	 124,495		   

Gainesville MSA

Hall County		180,175		  

Georgia		  9,544,750		 

Population Change: 2006-2007	 2000-2007

Atlanta Metro:

Fulton County	   27,488		 176,302

Gwinnett County	 26,544		 187,932

DeKalb County		6,638		  71,050

Cobb County		 11,255		  84,154

Clayton County	   3,002		  35,700

Cherokee County	 10,281		  62,460

Henry County		 8,601		  66,693

Forsyth County	  10,607		  60,507

Paulding County	  8,047		  46,298

Douglas County	   5,660		  32,251

Gainesville MSA

Hall County		  7,784		  40,860

Georgia			202,670	   1,357,934

Edited by Martinman

Any idea what the city of Atlanta's population is? I don't think I saw it up there.

I do agree, Krazeeboi. I think Fulton's joined the "1 million club" by now.

I don't think it's such a stretch to say that GA's population will reach 10 million before long, which means it'll join a "club" as well :P.

Any idea what the city of Atlanta's population is? I don't think I saw it up there.

We're up to 464,200, IC. That's up from 416,474 only seven years ago, which means we've been adding over 6,800 people a year!

That's pretty remarkable, in my opinion. Assuming that continues we'll be back to our 1960 level by the end of 2011.

:thumbsup:

Edited by Andrea