Meijer Market in Downtown?

michaelskis

While reading some information on what is being done as part of the downtown revitalization effort, I found a case that really sparked my interest... a downtown grocery store, owned, operated, and stocked by a big box grocery store! It got me thinking, why can

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There is that urban market on Monroe, it seems to be doing pretty well. I think Meijer could create a model for down town, but it should include multiple smaller stores in various key locations. That way we maintain walkability. Meijer would be able to use its size to put the stores out there, and hold them open while down town continues to develop- something that would be difficult for an independently owned store.

I think its a good idea and could work. The once rumored takeover of Meijer by the UK company Tesco is know for their smaller urban stores that sell produce, fresh bread, etc and are about the size of 7-11's. The isles are packed with fruits and veggies vs candybars, chips, etc.

I think the Meijer brand name could also lend to its sucess as well.

The only problem I see with this is feasability. Meijer makes most of its money off of the retail side of the store and not the groceries. If anything...the big selling point of big supermarket groceries is that the groceries gets the people in the store and then they go over the the other merchandise when they are done food shopping...where the company rakes in the real money. Cool idea...but I doubt Meijer would ever bite. Seems like the best shot would be small business owners who cater solely to the local market and can make money off of just groceries...even if that means slightly higher prices for the convenience of being local.

Actually, it's the other way around. The bread and butter for Meijer is the grocery section. Most profits come from that while retail is mostly break even. However the chain wide format change Meijer is undergoing will better emphasize its retail offerings so sources of profits may become more evenly split between groceries and retail as time passes.

The only problem I see with this is feasability. Meijer makes most of its money off of the retail side of the store and not the groceries. If anything...the big selling point of big supermarket groceries is that the groceries gets the people in the store and then they go over the the other merchandise when they are done food shopping...where the company rakes in the real money. Cool idea...but I doubt Meijer would ever bite. Seems like the best shot would be small business owners who cater solely to the local market and can make money off of just groceries...even if that means slightly higher prices for the convenience of being local.

I thought the talk about Area 4/5 was for a full sized Meijer (meaning, both food and other items sold at Meijer). I think Michael is talking more of a down scale version store that would just sell food and not all the other items sold at other Meijer stores (clothes/shoes/auto parts etc).

I think the charter school on State St would be almost perfect for a market like that. Problem is, they have to charge quite a bit more to stay viable. Not everyone in downtown can afford even Meijer prices, especially college students on tight budgets.

Ramen is always an option...and last I checked Meijer was well stocked. :P

Also...Meijer was the store that I shopped at while in College (last year)...you would be surprised what you can get at Meijer on a budget! However...I also can't stand anything less than top quality for the price, so Meijer was my top choice.

I think the charter school on State St would be almost perfect for a market like that. Problem is, they have to charge quite a bit more to stay viable. Not everyone in downtown can afford even Meijer prices, especially college students on tight budgets.

It seems like this topic has been beaten like a dead horse in other topics, but I think the only way you'd see any sort of Meijer downtown (and I'm thinking a small storefront style store) is if it were an act of charity. I would imagine that this is so counter to the way they do business at other stores, they'd have a tough time making it remotely profitable.

Now as a good steward and neighbor...

Joe

It seems like this topic has been beaten like a dead horse in other topics, but I think the only way you'd see any sort of Meijer downtown (and I'm thinking a small storefront style store) is if it were an act of charity. I would imagine that this is so counter to the way they do business at other stores, they'd have a tough time making it remotely profitable.

I don't think that Meijer would open a small market, in the city or suburbs. Meijer many years back closed its discount membership warehouse venture and its Sagebrush clothing stores along with Meijer Square stores (retail only stores mostly in Ohio) to focus solely into running their super center stores. Opening anything other than a new super center store now and for the foreseeable future is highly unlikely. Thus the implications would be a Meijer super center customized to suit the urban environment of DT or nothing.

However don't lose hope for an urban Meijer just yet. I have been hearing some rumors of Meijer quietly toying with the Idea to further tap into the Chicago market by building in locations deep into that metro's urban core. I don't know if this is more than just hearsay as info is very sparse and cryptic. But If Meijer where indeed to build in a location deep in the urban jungles of Chicago Land and make it work then there would stand a chance of seeing an urban Meijer in DT GR.

Personally I don't see any reason that Meijer would not be thinking about an Urban iteration of their store format. Wal-Mart has urban formated stores in Atlanta, GA. Target has a handful of urban stores, the most well known of which located in DT Minneapolis, Home Depot built a Store in DT Chicago. Other Big boxes has at least a handful of there retail spaces located in urban developments as well.

This post in my Big Box Pyramid thread features some shots of Big Box stores located deep in the heart of Chicago.

With other big boxes making attempts to tap into markets found deep in urban cores, Meijer wishing to remain competitive, is surely not going to sit on their collective fanny and do nothing.

Archived