Pembroke Mall Promenade

vaceltic

A new article on the development as well as the pedestrian bridge linking Town Center with Pembroke Mall:

Site plan for new retail location is also available on Pembroke Mall's website. Go to "Leasing" and then "Site Plans" :

http://www.pembrokemall.com/

And the article in the Virginian-Pilot:

http://content.hamptonroads.com/story.cfm?...867&tref=hr

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The redeveloped space won't necessarily be part of the enclosed mall, Ramsay Smith said. He envisions something that complement s the "lifestyle center" trend at Town Center.

Though the mall's new phase won't have a residential component, it will have a more urban feel and will be pedestrian-friendly, Ramsay said.

"The final configuration of our plan will be announced once we solidify these tenants," he said.

Meanwhile, construction has started on the renovated SunTrust Bank branch near the mall's main entrance. When completed, the building will have two levels and features to accommodate a proposed pedestrian bridge over Virginia Beach Boulevard, providing a direct connection between the mall and Town Center.

If you look closely at the site plan, the new additions will have two public fountains and the rear of the mall will contain outdoor patio seating for new restaurants. The backside of Pembroke Mall is always a dead zone. I'm glad they are going to try and improve the design character with these new additions.

I just wonder about 'big box concept' stores are per the article. I see no large space in the plan that could accomodate such a big box type store i.e. Target.

Mall officials say negotiations are under way with multiple retailers, including big-box concepts. More restaurants are also likely to open.

It looks like an improvement over the mall i guess...however, since the buildings are set back with parking lots all around, it just looks like a glorified shopping center. I wish they would line the boulevard with the stores and just have the parking lots in the back. That would give it more of a city and pedestrian friendly feel.

MAAAAAAAAN, I still don't care about all this stuff. I still say they need to take a wrecking ball to this place more than anything. You can put a piece of crap in a shiny wrapper but when you open it up and look inside, it's still only crap :dontknow:

You mean lipstick on a pig? Well you could say that about many things. Pembroke mall is fine for what it is. Overhead walkways across the boulevard would be great, because it's a pain having to switch lanes and stuff to avoid hitting slow walking people when I'm doing 75mph down VaBeachBlvd.

Hang in there for 8 to 10 more years, then tear down the old mall, put in a major anchor like a Macys or Dillards, relocate Barnes and Noble or the equivalent, and add some other mid-range and upscale tenants in a new Town-Centerish project. It wouldn't compete directly with Lynnhaven, which will have to re-invent itself also, but could be a nice complement to everything else in Town Center. Pembroke is still a major center of retail gravity. There are other options too. Some planners would like to see it become a mixed use center, with lots of office and residential space mixed in with retail. But I think that concept might become a little overworked in a few years.

Archived