Tubby Smith Leaving Kentucky for Minnesota!

Minneapolitan

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I posted in teh BBall topic, but I was surprised by this, I think Minnesota was a horrible choice for Tubby Smith, and I wodner who goes to Kentucky, does Pintino make it back to UK? Should be good to see how things turn out.

If he's concerned about his winning percentage, then yes it's a bad choice. He has the opportunity to turn a horrible program into something descent without having to deal with fanatic basketball fans and as some have said, plenty of racists. He will also be getting paid big bucks without expectations of making it to the Final Four (at least not in the next few years).

Anyway, this is a big year for U of M sports. The Gopher football team has a new coach (Tim Brewster) and a new football stadium is about to break ground and now the Gopher mens basketball team has a well-known coach.

No suprise that he is leaving Kentucky, kinda suprised he will be going to Minnesota. Although Minn. is a program that has had it's ups and downs so building a winning program there may not take very long, plus he will remain in a power conference without the spotlight of huge expectations right off the bat. Overall it seems to be a good move.

As far as Pitino going back to Kentucky, I highly doubt it. Maybe there would have been an outside shot if Louisville was still in Conference USA, but he now has a program that will be near the top of the Big East most years.

No suprise that he is leaving Kentucky, kinda suprised he will be going to Minnesota. Although Minn. is a program that has had it's ups and downs so building a winning program there may not take very long, plus he will remain in a power conference without the spotlight of huge expectations right off the bat. Overall it seems to be a good move.

As far as Pitino going back to Kentucky, I highly doubt it. Maybe there would have been an outside shot if Louisville was still in Conference USA, but he now has a program that will be near the top of the Big East most years.

It was clear that he was on shaky ground at UK, and I can't imagine a coach would want to put up with that day in and day out. Minnesota has not been a recent bball powerhouse, but they have a history, and play in a great and intimidating venue (The Barn, I think it is called). He will add immediate credibility to the Gopher program.

Im surprised he choose Minnesota, although its a good school and as another poster said, 20 win seasons will keep people satisfied. I know that with the Michigan job, UM made no attempt at Tubby so it appears that UM will go with a little known coach.

I've also heard John Calipari as a mention, who knows if he'd leave Memphis after making the elite 8? But for him it would in upgrade in school and conference.

I think Texas A&M is a better place to be than Arkansas. SEC is a tough conference, and in the Big 12 they can be a consistant #2 or #1 team over the next few years, with great recruiting. The SEC is a lot tougher to recruit against. Thanks for the article though.

I've heard that Michigan is eyeing John Beiline(sp?) from West Virginia. He'd do a pretty good job up there. He recruits pretty well, especially finding good shooters, and the Big 10 is a little less brutal than the Big East is. Though, my Buckeyes under Thad Matta are becoming a national power w/ this years #1 ranked class, next year another top 5 class, and the following year, arguably the #1 class. I dearly hope that UK doesn't come to Matta if Donovan does the smart thing and turns down the UK job. Who'd want to coach at a place w/ unrealistic expectations like UK? Plus, Donovan has taken a program from nothing and built the best program in the SEC, and he seems to like sharing the spotlight w/ Urban Meyer. Florida has the budget to easily match anything from UK. OSU will be the same way w/ Matta, they can match anything any other school offers. I compare UK fans to AL fans in the fact that they have over inflated views of their respective programs, and in today's world, unless your USC football and are cheating to bring in a bunch of top ranked classes (see Bush living in a huge house while in school), no one is going to dominate for several years in a row like teams did in the 50's to the early 90's.

I would like to see Bobby Knight go to Michigan and try to win another championship. I think he has more options there than at Tech. Also, I think if Donovan takes the UK job it may be a bad move. He is in a good spot, and beign a football school, he never has that win now pressure. Maybe he wants the challange. But if he does I would try the NBA; Boston or Miami? If he can't cut it he will always get another college job no problems. Pete Carrol, Saban, Pitino, and many more I can't think of off the top of my head.

if he can get the 4 guys to come back, it would be an amazing position for him. I would say try for that and if they will come back go for the 3peat. If not go to the family and see what is important (stress :D, money, location, etc...)

Archived