4 Rock Hill

5 Mt Pleasant

6 Greenville

7 Summerville

8 Spartanburg

9 Goose Creek

10 Florence

The upstate doesn't seem to be "holding it's own" by that count. :(

I know we have discussed this a little before, but if Gville doesn't get serious about annexation, it could possibly fall out of the top ten (maybe not soon, but eventually). :angry:

Wow, Summerville has more people than Spartnaburg!? Yikes. Don't worry distortedlogic, Spartanburg and Florence will be right with Greenville as the other cities push them out of the top 10 too. Its kind of sad to realize that half of our top 10 cities in SC are suburbs, and 4 of those 5 are suburbs of Charleston.

Thanks. So it looks like this is the order:

1 Columbia

2 Charleston

3 N. Charleston

4 Rock Hill

5 Mt Pleasant

6 Greenville

7 Summerville

8 Spartanburg

9 Goose Creek

10 Florence

The upstate doesn't seem to be "holding it's own" by that count. :(

I know we have discussed this a little before, but if Gville doesn't get serious about annexation, it could possibly fall out of the top ten (maybe not soon, but eventually). :angry:

Wow, Summerville has more people than Spartnaburg!? Yikes. Don't worry distortedlogic, Spartanburg and Florence will be right with Greenville as the other cities push them out of the top 10 too. Its kind of sad to realize that half of our top 10 cities in SC are suburbs, and 4 of those 5 are suburbs of Charleston.

Ok, I just did another check, because I refused to believe that Sumter is now larger than Spartanburg until I saw it with my own eyes. We have missed another city! Hilton head Ranks in at # 10 and yes, Spartanburg is indeed smaller than Sumter by 598 people :angry:

Here is the sorted list pasted directly from the Census excel file:

1. Columbia city 119,961

2. Charleston city 107,845

3. North Charleston city 87,482

4. Rock Hill city 61,620

5. Mount Pleasant town 59,113

6. Greenville city 57,428

7. Summerville town 41,575

8. Sumter city 39,159

9. Spartanburg city 38,561

10. Hilton Head Island town 33,838

11. Goose Creek city 31,914

12. Florence city 31,284

Wow, forgot about HH too. Looks like those are followed by Aiken, Myrtle Beach, and Anderson. That means only three of the top 15 are in the upstate (not counting RH since it is really part of Charlotte). I would not have thought that. After Anderson, the next ten would have a lot in the upstate (all the burbs) and Greenwood. Kinda makes me think that maybe the upstate is not growing as fast as we all like to think...

Of course there are a lot of unincorporated areas around GVille. Berea and Taylors alone would be nearly 60k. Too bad Gville can't annex those areas. Don't forget Powdersville; that's another, what, 20k?

Fun Fact: The smallest town is Peak, SC with 62 people. Govan and Tatum are next on the list with 63 and 64 respectively. Peak has an interstate exit, which is the only reason I've heard of it.

Wow, forgot about HH too. Looks like those are followed by Aiken, Myrtle Beach, and Anderson. That means only three of the top 15 are in the upstate (not counting RH since it is really part of Charlotte). I would not have thought that. After Anderson, the next ten would have a lot in the upstate (all the burbs) and Greenwood. Kinda makes me think that maybe the upstate is not growing as fast as we all like to think...

Of course there are a lot of unincorporated areas around GVille. Berea and Taylors alone would be nearly 60k. Too bad Gville can't annex those areas. Don't forget Powdersville; that's another, what, 20k?

Exactly! And with MB making significant gains, they will soon pass florence. Even Aiken is gaining, and now over 28k. (Oh yeah, didn't see Sumter sonofaque86) So by 2020, it is very possible that Summerville, Goose Creek, Sumter could all pass Gville, putting it number 9. And who knows, beyond then, Greer and Mauldin may make at run at passing gville too! That's just utter Craziness! :wacko:

The town of Piedmont, SC i live in will experience lots of growth as it already is. I believe the population is almost around 5000 now. With all the new development i see here it will inch its way up as well. Lots of big fields around this area for new housing. I see tons of for sale signs on these pieces right now. Plus the saluda river splits it in half kind of making it like greer being in two different counties.

Sumter is losing population too, so no worries there, barring a miracle or city/county consolidation on the part of Sumter. Greer is a concern in 20-30 years. Greenville should show some growth though, because Verdae and other areas are developing/densifying.

As recently as the '80's Florence and Rock Hill were similiar in size and very much considered peer cities. But since then, Rock Hill has expanded it's borders significantly, and it now has twice the population of Florence. Strange thing is, Florence has shifted almost completely off of property taxes (the chief objection to annexation) via the Local Option Sales tax while Rock Hill hasn't.

Political leadership (Rock Hill), or the lack thereof (Florence) is the culprit, IMO.

That is something Greenville at least is working on as of late. I know the City is annexing considerable amounts of acreage and has targeted quite a bit more. There are some relatively difficult hurdles to get by though, including public service districts.

I have noticed in the past few years that Greenville is really starting to eat up some acreage in annexation. 1200 acres at verdae alone. When this is developed in the future it might add around 15,000 to the city. Also the new development that is going at the point will probably add at least 4000 to the city. It would be good to have Berea and Taylors in our grasp but until the annexation laws are relaxed it will be impossible to do so.

Archived