2006 Census Estimates

distortedlogic

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I understand what you are saying, but you say RH gets spill over, And what's wrong with that? Rock Hill is capturing growth as well as in other city in the state. What do you mean "appear" so high, they are what they are. There are plenty of other cities around Charlotte that could be capturing this growth...More people equal more to do, more publicity, more things going on who cares where it comes from.

I understand what you are saying, but you say RH gets spill over, And what's wrong with that? Rock Hill is capturing growth as well as in other city in the state. What do you mean "appear" so high, they are what they are. There are plenty of other cities around Charlotte that could be capturing this growth.

Didn't read the Wikipedia definition of "edge city," but I consider those to be areas like Perimeter and Cumberland in the Atlanta area, Tysons Corner in the DC area, etc. They were pretty much carved out as peripheral employment/retail nodes in their respective metro areas, so in that respect, I don't consider Rock Hill to be an edge city.

I was still talking about the 30 mile radius when i meant appeared so high. As far as municipal population then yes Rock Hill definetly shows its true size. This is a good thing for Rock Hill . Kyley5, I think you are reading into what im saying a little bit too hard. Im not bashing Rock Hill. As a matter of fact I like Rock Hill and the Charlotte area a lot. I wish Greenville could follow the same path but its too hard for them to annex anything anymore without getting into big arguments with locals. Rock Hill did this in a timely fashion and its good they did. Now they are reaping the rewards.

I understand what you are saying, but you say RH gets spill over, And what's wrong with that? Rock Hill is capturing growth as well as in other city in the state. What do you mean "appear" so high, they are what they are. There are plenty of other cities around Charlotte that could be capturing this growth...More people equal more to do, more publicity, more things going on who cares where it comes from.

I like the term "satellite city" to describe Rock Hill. The city is part of the greater Charlotte economic influence, yet is not a traditional suburb due to it still having a large employment base.

Just a response regarding what type of definition of a city RH fits....

I guess I mostly hear about big cities challenging the estimates (outside of SC) because those situations would be more likely to get media coverage. For instance, just recently Fulton County, GA successfully challenged their estimates. I think NYC has also challenged their estimates sometime recently or there was talk about doing so.

I don't know if they had an "official challenge," but Easly disagreed with their census count from 2000. The census put them at about 17,500, but they announced they believed the actual population to be around 20,000 (and that was 7 years ago)! If true, that could put their current pop at about 23 or 24k as well. I would also guess that Simpsonville's 16k could easily be a little low. They may not annex quite as much as Mauldin, but neighborhoods go up around there like crazy. Could Gville have 4 suburbs with over 20k by the 2010 census?

Once again, I have to ask: IF Mauldin can annex everything, why can't Gville do the same thing??? :wacko:

Archived