2006 Census Estimates

distortedlogic

Spartanburg gained population this time around. Not by much, but it was an increase nonetheless. Spartanburg's problem is that very little housing was added over the past 10 years within the city limits. Annexation probably provided more homes than new construction. This is starting to change now that the old neighborhoods are starting to come back, new developments have been bulit, (or are being built), and other new developments are planned. Most are at a higher density (not SFR). One development could have 450 new units, so if it averages 2 per unit thats 900 new residents. My hope is that Spartanburg will at least come back to its Census 2000 population or close to it. Unless something changes in the next 3 years, I doubt it will surpass it. Definitely a noticable gain by 2020 though.

Sumter is fluctuating much more rapidly. That makes me wonder what is going on there.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I found this stat today from the SC Dept of Commerce. In a 30 mile radius of Greenville there are 866,351 people. It probably includes a lot of places that SHOULD be included in Greenville's metro numbers-- like Powdersville/northern Anderson Co, Greer/Western Spartanburg Co. Though this does include a lot more than should if you're looking for a good representation of Greenville's metro population because it goes well into both counties, but it gives an interesting view of how many people are living centered around Greenville.

absolutely and others can be accessed from sc dept of commerce

These are 2003 numbers.

__CITY _____15 MI RADIUS____30 MI RADIUS__

Anderson --------- 153,839 ------------- 595,748

Charleston-------- 341,322 ------------- 527,328

Columbia --------- 454,109 ------------- 611,541

Florence ---------- 129,894 ------------- 454,109

Greenville -------- 436,075 ------------- 866,351

Myrtle Beach ----- 132,427 ------------- 221,477

Spartanburg ------ 225,446 ------------- 748,671

Richland County which includes Columbia is growing MUCH faster than Charleston County. As well as the metro as a whole. The only reason why Charleston is gaining at a faster rate is because of aggressive annexing. But Columbia has been straing to annex more in the Northeast and Southeast so we'll see next years numbers for 07'

As it was stated earlier, Greenville's numbers also include Spartanburg and Anderson. Sprawl in the Upstate is bad. But sprawl is sprawl. Charlotte has a larger quantity of it. Thats the only thing that Rock Hill's numbers show

Sprawl is sprawl. Which is why I wonder why Rock Hill always gets the shaft. I know its nothing spectacular, but its ability to capture growth has impressed me. Is this a bash Rock Hill forum and praise Gville? Alot of stuff I have read seems to do this. Rock Hill has alot going for it as well as Greenville.

^^^ Yes, the upstate has a lot of sprawl but also 3 different metro areas so that has a lot to do with why the upstate is so sprawled out. We just have a wierd growth pattern in the upstate. Rock Hill is a city in itself but it is sort of a bigger version of Greer or Mauldin which is feeding off of Greenville and Spartanburgs sprawl. Some day when Greenville's MSA reaches the size of Charlotte's MSA Greer will probably be about the same size as Rock Hill or it might even be bigger than Greenville City itself.

^^^ Yes, the upstate has a lot of sprawl but also 3 different metro areas so that has a lot to do with why the upstate is so sprawled out. We just have a wierd growth pattern in the upstate. Rock Hill is a city in itself but it is sort of a bigger version of Greer or Mauldin which is feeding off of Greenville and Spartanburgs sprawl. Some day when Greenville's MSA reaches the size of Charlotte's MSA Greer will probably be about the same size as Rock Hill or it might even be bigger than Greenville City itself.

^^^In the future ....not anytime soon. I think you must have thought i meant it was going to catch up. It will never catch up. It will stay behind Charlottes growth but will add population of its own. Probably by 2030 it will reach the level that Charlotte is at today. I think it is easy to say that Greenville is about 25 years behind Charlotte if not more

Sprawl is sprawl. Which is why I wonder why Rock Hill always gets the shaft. I know its nothing spectacular, but its ability to capture growth has impressed me. Is this a bash Rock Hill forum and praise Gville? Alot of stuff I have read seems to do this. Rock Hill has alot going for it as well as Greenville.

Archived