Greenville area population statistics

The state's projection for 2030 is 528,180.

Greenville County's for 2030 is 543,822.

600k may be a bit of a stretch, given the information we have, but I would trust Greenville County's estimates over the state's. Its impossible to calculate population growth 100% accurately, but there are accepted methods by which it can be done. When the 2010 Census comes out we will have a much more clear picture of where things are moving.

This may be true, but the state also puts Gville county 2010 estiamte at just 431k, or a total growth of just 14k in four years (since July, 06). This translates into just 3.5k/year over the next four years, which would be way below the yearly average of the past 15 years or so, not to mention that past two years have seen (estimated) growths of 7k and 10k, which would be even more. My point, the estimates tend to use the low end numbers, and seem to by very low for certain areas/counties. With the current county growth, and the upcoming boom of projects, 600k is very possible (of course a lot can happen in 23 years) :thumbsup:

Yep i think our growth rates will keep continuing. Especially with all the new developement comming in. I also think you will see Anderson and Spartanburgs growth rate increase as well as Greenville becomes a more distinct urban center of a reunited G-S-A MSA.

Edited by erm1981

• 2 weeks later...

Ok guys. Ive noticed that there have been some arguments about Greenville's growth versus Columbia and Charleston's growth. I got to looking at our numbers for the Greenville MSA, Spartanburg MSA, and Anderson MSA and they all have grown more in the past year number wise then they have in the past decade for some of them. For instance:

Greenville MSA gained 11,346 people from 2005-2006 1.9% increase

Spartanburg MSA gained 4,323 people from 2005-2006 1.6% increase

Anderson MSA gained 2,705 people from 2005-2006 1.5% increase

The last time those numbers were more or less for previous years was

Greenville 1972 was the closest year at 10,900 3.0% change for that year. No other year has surpassed the 11,346 number for Greenville MSA

Spartanburg 1977 was the closest year at 4,600 2.4% change for that year. All other years have been under 4,323 from 1977-present

Anderson 2001 was the closest year at 3,016 1.8% change for that year.

So the Greenville MSA, and Spartanburg MSA are doing very well. Anderson is kind of up and down with its MSA but i suspect this will change with future growth and the lakes near by. I think it is something we can be happy about since our numbers are looking very good for last year in our upstate area.

http://recenter.tamu.edu/data/popm00/pcbsa24860.html

• 2 months later...

Didn't know if you guys knew this, but as of December 2006, the Greenville MSA is now officially known as the Greenville-Mauldin-Easley MSA.

I did not know that. How is it determined which cities are included in the title? If GSP is once again combined, will it have five or six names in it, or will cities like Easley be dropped? And didn't Anderson used to be part of the Greenville MSA, even since Spartanburg was?

^ With all the density and urban nodes, in this tight region, the official name will be the:

Greenville-Greer-Spartanburg-Anderson-Easley-Simpsonville-Mauldin-Gaffney MSA. :lol:

We'll be just like the LA area in Southern Cal. :lol:

Seriously, though, I like the new MSA names....it's always nice when a city has burbs large enough to get in the MSA title. :thumbsup:

Edited by gsupstate

^ With all the density and urban nodes, in this tight region, the official name will be the:

Greenville-Greer-Spartanburg-Anderson-Easley-Simpsonville-Mauldin-Gaffney MSA. :lol:

We'll be just like the LA area in Southern Cal. :lol:

Seriously, though, I like the new MSA names....it's always nice when a city has burbs large enough to get in the MSA title. :thumbsup:

Excellent point! :)

I did not know that. How is it determined which cities are included in the title? If GSP is once again combined, will it have five or six names in it, or will cities like Easley be dropped? And didn't Anderson used to be part of the Greenville MSA, even since Spartanburg was?

The only explanation given was "Mauldin, SC and Easley, SC qualify as new principal cities of the Greenville, SC Metropolitan Statistical Area." Check it out here (PDF file; page 6). I'm not sure what the qualifier would be in terms of population.

Only a maximum of three names can be in an official MSA's name, and they are the three largest municipalities in all of the counties that make up the MSA. So if Greenville, Spartanburg, and Anderson get recombined as an MSA, the current CSA designation will just be the new MSA designation.

I'm not sure what the deal is with Greer. Its location in both Greenville and Spartanburg counties probably makes things a bit funky.

Didn't know if you guys knew this, but as of December 2006, the Greenville MSA is now officially known as the Greenville-Mauldin-Easley MSA.

So what are the new numbers then? Before, Mauldin-Simpsonville were designated as a seperate MSA (though that seems crazy). So it looks like these two have been added back together again.