Teach for America / Other urban teaching fellowships

dixiecupdrinking

Hey guys. I recently was accepted to the New York City Teaching Fellows, which is a corps of recent college graduates and career changers who teach in high-need New York public schools while getting permanent certification and a masters degree. I was curious if anyone has had experience with this or similar programs, Teach For America for instance. Part of the program's appeal for me is the opportunity to deal with one of the U.S.'s major urban problems -- inadequate education -- in a very hands-on way. While I've heard from others about their experiences, I'm especially interested what someone would have to say about it coming from a background of being interested specifically in urban issues -- how rewarding/illuminating/valuable it is to get that kind of personal experience in a poorer urban setting. I'm considering going to grad school in urban planning after the teaching fellowship, so that's where I'm coming from.

Maybe a shot in the dark, but it can't hurt to ask!

• 4 months later...

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived