Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ironchapman

IC's Atlanta on a Cloudy Night

17 posts in this topic

IC's Atlanta on a Cloudy Night

It's been a while since I took these pictures (Jan. 4th of this year), but I finally got around to uploading them.

I went to Atlanta to take some pictures of the city on a cloudy night. I was really pleased with what I came up with. I managed to take in a short visit to Atlantic Station while I was there as well. It was, as I expected, filled with people wandering the little streets.

Here we go..........

Midtown's Skyline from the Varsity Parking Lot

429667429_701a5a2e46_b.jpg

GLG Grand and the Surrounding Buildings

429667987_5921faffb0_b.jpg

1180 Peachtree

429667717_de857da813_b.jpg

Two Shots of the Bank of America Building

429667151_6e6e4a7a63.jpg

429663039_64c02bd6ae_b.jpg

Midtown Shines Brightly for All to See

429663334_f79457f42f_b.jpg

The Glow of the Clouds

429665039_e446923a1a_b.jpg

And Now the Fog Descends Upon It

429666817_04d3c92874_b.jpg

429666576_71982405aa_b.jpg

From Behind the Fence

347049176_784a72457f_b.jpg

----------------------------

As Seen from the 17th Street Bridge

Down the Road

429663640_8d0af17479_b.jpg

The Way Into Town

429663973_0df27afa04_b.jpg

And Now With the Fog

429664722_b061469e4c_b.jpg

The Downtown Connector Was as Busy as Ever

429664345_9c7010c321_b.jpg

---------------------------

And Now For a Few Shots of Atlantic Station

429665484_706fb66a4c_b.jpg

Wandering the Streets

429666362_9f1daf49da_b.jpg

429665786_f4f6532a7f.jpg

A Crane Looms Overhead

429666002_ae49b88d27_b.jpg

Twelve Atlantic Station Shines On........

429665192_4b6b47fb3c_b.jpg

--------------------

And that's it! :)

Thoughts?

Awesome pics! Atlanta lights up so well at night!

Absolutely beautiful. Thanks!!! (I hope that shot of the Connector was taken before the time change---man that is a lot of traffic to be so late!!)

Edit that: I saw these were taken in January.

I love the top 2/3 of every ATL building, especially at night.

I was just down there and was wondering about the downtown connector. Why does the southbound side backup beyond midtown in the afternoon? What is the rate limiting step? Is it the big intersection with I-20 at the Capitol? It seems like the northbound side would be busy with people leaving downtown after work. I was surprised.

I was just down there and was wondering about the downtown connector. Why does the southbound side backup beyond midtown in the afternoon? What is the rate limiting step? Is it the big intersection with I-20 at the Capitol? It seems like the northbound side would be busy with people leaving downtown after work. I was surprised.

The downtown connector is a suburban freeway interchange which primarily serves people cutting through Atlanta on their way from one suburb to another. Only a relatively small percentage of the traffic on the connector is actually related to downtown Atlanta.

The Downtown Connector Was as Busy as Ever

429664345_9c7010c321_b.jpg

---------------------------

Thoughts?

It would make a lot more sense to dismantle the connector in its present form and convert it to an efficient system of urban streets and boulevards, and re-route the freeways through the suburbs where their burden falls primarily on those who prefer to use them.

Andrea, if your plan to reroute the freeways through the suburbs suceeds; I am moving Intown with YOU. The freeways are already a disaster out here in Cumberland/Cobb.

Nice photos, IC!!

This picture, by the way, is an excellent example of the essentially suburban nature of the downtown connector. As you can see, southbound traffic is primarily coming from I-75 and I-85 north of Midtown, as commuters from the northern suburbs creep through town on their way to the southern, eastern and western suburbs. I realize the vast majority of people live and work in the suburbs and that they need a way to commute from suburb to suburb, but it's unfortunate that their freeway interchange has to be located in the middle of downtown. It would make a lot more sense to dismantle the connector in its present form and convert it to an efficient system of urban streets and boulevards, and re-route the freeways through the suburbs where their burden falls primarily on those who prefer to use them.

I never noticed how much of 191 Peachtree King and Spalding took up until seeing those pictures... the entire top 1/3 is empty. Someone needs to move in and replace them now, the building is beautiful and needs to be lit up at night.

I never noticed how much of 191 Peachtree King and Spalding took up until seeing those pictures... the entire top 1/3 is empty. Someone needs to move in and replace them now, the building is beautiful and needs to be lit up at night.

That is a perfect example of your point. I've always wondered why the traffic backed up coming into downtown during the afternoon rush hour instead of being the other way around. I mean I-85 coming into Atlanta and the merge with 75 is worse than leaving the city. It's all very strange!!!

Nice photos, IC!!

This picture, by the way, is an excellent example of the essentially suburban nature of the downtown connector. As you can see, southbound traffic is primarily coming from I-75 and I-85 north of Midtown, as commuters from the northern suburbs creep through town on their way to the southern, eastern and western suburbs. I realize the vast majority of people live and work in the suburbs and that they need a way to commute from suburb to suburb, but it's unfortunate that their freeway interchange has to be located in the middle of downtown. It would make a lot more sense to dismantle the connector in its present form and convert it to an efficient system of urban streets and boulevards, and re-route the freeways through the suburbs where their burden falls primarily on those who prefer to use them.

While I agree that freeways are bad for cities, let's just say you have someone who lives in, say, Smyrna and works in Decatur (a long drive, but there are people who do that). Wouldn't it be quicker for them to take a freeway route through downtown than one rerouted through the suburbs? Furthermore, wouldn't a single, direct route such as a freeway be more efficient to that driver than driving through a network of streets, even if they were under a strict grid?

Don't get me wrong, I'm still not a big fan of freeways, just curious about this.