Coffee Options in Charlotte

paholler

What would a forum titled "Charlotte Coffee House" be without a discussion of area coffee houses?

What does everyone here feel is the best place for coffee/espresso in the Charlotte area? I have yet to find truly great coffee in Charlotte since moving here. Jackson's Java in University City is decent, but I have yet to find a good combination of atmosphere and quality coffee. Too many chains seem to dominate (Starbucks, Caribou) - which seems to be the complaint over in the restaurant thread as well.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I live near East Blvd, so I have to admit that I love both the Starbucks and Caribou on East... they have a great "neighborhoody" feel to them even though they are chains. But, I also really like Dilworth Coffee... great coffee and a less expensive price and free internet. Just wish it had a little more room to hang out and enjoy.

Also, speaking of coffee places... Are there any at all in Plaza-Midwood area? I haven't seen one, but I might be missing it. I am thinking of moving over there, and would love it if they had a coffee place over by Thomas St Tavern, etc. If they don't have one now, somebody really should open one!

While not strictly a coffee house, per se, Nova's Bakery on Central Ave. in "downtown" Plaza-Midwood serves up pretty good coffee. And they do have a little sitting area where you can read your Observer or Creative Loafing while sipping on coffee and munching on some of their freshly baked goodies.

The first problem is that most Americans have not had good coffee. A drip coffee maker can't produce a decent cup and it is very difficult to get good quality roasted beans. The end result is that someone goes into most coffeehouses and get a drink that has to be loaded down with cream with sweeterners and/or flavorings to hide the bitter taste of the really poor and coffee. It's usually swill.

The second problem is that for those people who have figured out the only way to get coffee is through the espresso method, they find they can't get espresso in Charlotte because there is almost no one skilled in making it and we again have the problem in really bad beans. People here think espresso means roasted really dark when it doesn't mean that at all.

There is a society of coffee geeks (to use that term) in Charlotte and for the most part they roast their own beans, and use their own espresso machines to produce drinkable coffee.

I know that not many of you get the chance to go on UNCC's campus, but Ritazza's is one of the best coffee shop chains I have ever been to. There are two on campus, one in the library and one in the Fretwell Building. I hear another one will be put in the new student union which will be more accessible to non-students/faculty. The sandwiches they have there are also amazing :good:

Just wanted to mention Summit Coffee in Davidson. I know it's not in Charlotte but if you're free on a Saturday make a trip out of visiting Summit and downtown Davidson. As per Metro's bean comment, Summit's coffee is all shade grown, organic, fair trade coffee. They were featured on Turner South's "Blue Ribbon" show for being one of the South's best coffee shops before Turner South became a sports network. They also seem to be great supporters of the local music scene. I still think those guys would make a KILLING by opening a second location in Plaza-Midwood. I think they also sell coffee in bulk to take home.

www.summitcoffee.com

• 3 years later...

What's the deal with coffee shops in Uptown? Specifically, there are none. Excluding whatever may or may not exist in the hamster tube world, down on the streets where normal people walk I count the following:

• Starbucks (Tryon St at the Square)

• Starbucks (Trade St Gateway Village)

• Dunkin' Donuts (Graham & 6th)

• Dean & Deluca (Tryon & 4th)

KoKoMo's at 4th & McDowell closed.

The Dunkin' Donuts at the Arena closed.

The place in Epicenter closed (now Mortimers Irish Pub)

So what else is there?

Archived